Clothing solutions

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I've been suffering with PHN for over 6 months now and one of the most difficult aspects for me is being able to get clothing that allows me to go out.

I have pain in my back and side and have been unable to keep cream in place without the patch moving and causing me pain.  I can't wear anything loose as cold air also causes me pain.

Does anyone have any ideas for clothing that have helped them.

Thanks

Bobby

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Bobby, as a fellow sufferer I can sympathize. For me its light cottons with loose waistbands. However, living in a cold climate poses additional considerations. You'll have to experiment to find what works best for you, it does take some time. Examine all posts on this forum recommendations on how to manage your pain.

Good luck!

• Posted

You mention cream and the patch, are you using lidocain patches or cream that you apply? I use the cream, but have had much better luck with the Asprecreme brand that has a roller applicator. It seems more expensive, but it lasts much longer, so it's actually cheaper.

I wish I had suggestions for the other problem. Merry would know the medical name for that ultra-senstive reaction to air or wind, I never had that, That's got to be so difficult. Are you using other meds such as Gabapentin (Neurontin) or Lyrica? I use Gab plus Extra-Strength Tylenol and my previous prescription NSAID and those have helped. I hope you do see some improvment-it can happen, as I'm still very slowly improving. I'll be frank, it's not that common, but I know two others who had PHN and saw an improvement, like me, at about 5-6 months. I'm now at 8 months, and hope this continues.

• Posted

I have had PHN since. August 2008. My outbreak was from my navel to my spine on my left side. I havd have taken Lyrica then Gabapen. Used lidocaine patches, etc....I was unable to wear tight clothing as anything that touched it hurt. After the blisters dried up, I started using a cream that made the area feel cool. I must be honest to say it took about a year before I was applying the cream often. I find the warmth makes it hurt and itch. Even bathing was painful. Going forward, I never wear anything tight around my waist. The area right below my lung and an area on the side are still sensitive. Following a bath or shower I apply the cream, Aspercreme with 4% Lidocaine, it cools the area almost immediately and dries quickly. I do have to limit the amount of time I spend in the outdoors in summer. Unfortunately I live South and have lobg, hot summers. I wear sift cotton shirts...I wish I had the magic cure....
  • Posted

Hi Bob

I'm suffering going on 3 years

Can't wear anything with a collar, coats destroy me

as the collar rubs against my neck which is where

my pain is most  R/S neck and shoulder.

My of my pain is on the neck, I have a spinal cord 

stimulator implanted 7 months which is useless.

Hoping get get a reduction in my night pain 

Going for my 4th set of shots in a  4 weeks

Hope you feel better soon

Paul

• Posted

I have been using silk tops and for a long time it was the only thing I could tolerate. Check it out! Since it isn't  very warm, I wear a soft cotton T-shirt over it. 

• Posted

You might try a velour men's loose fitting shirt.  I too have the pain extending from my spine around under my arm and to my chest.  I have a velour throw that I use while in the house to keep warm and it feels good.  You also might try fleece (used on baby blankets).  Loose fitting silk underwear which skiers wear while on the slopes may also help.  Campmor (sp.) on their internet site sells it for a reasonable price.  If you can't find what would help from a clothing store, go to a fabric store and find velour and fleece.   Buy a yard of each fabric and take it home, then drape it over your shoulders like a cap and see how that fabric feels.  You could then have someone make you loose fitting undershirts out it.  There are patterns for undershirts available on line.  Good luck!  The sensitive skin is aggravating to say the least.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.