Clouding after cataract surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone on here, my question is before i had cataract surgery i always noticed a clouding or a mist with some black spots especially when lying down and just following it when i moved my eyes slowly. I asked the optician what this was and she said it was basically the ageing process and deteriation of the lens. So my question is why after cataract surgery do i still see this clouding and mist exactly as before, yet i have had new lenses. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am a few weeks out from my lens replacement...  and I also had what you mentioned.  The spots that you see are most likely floaters...  they will probably go away after time.  The fog, or mist... (film),  that you have is mostly likely the sac or cellophane like lining called the lens capsule.  When the lens is inserted into the capsule to replace the natural lens...  it usually stays clear, but can turn cloudy or wrinkled and cause a blur or similar condition like you have mentioned.  It happenen to my left eye.  It's best to have your surgeon look more closely... you may have to have a posterior capsulotomy.  The technique is painless and  only takes a few minutes. This is done with the laser as it makes an opening in the back part of the capsule to restore your normal vision.  It took about 10 minutes and film was gone.  I was given a sample bottle of drops to apply for the next 4 days,  4x each day to the lasered eye to heal.

• Posted

Hi, the floaters was the word i was looking for that you mentioned. I have had these floaters for many years so its not the result of my cataract surgery. Only had cataract surgery 3 months ago. On my check up at the eye clinic i asked the question but was told it was normal. Not the answer i was looking for and possibly not the right answer. Not sure why the floaters are still there. Anybody have an answer for me.
  • Posted

I agree with sharon 13639 that your symptoms seem to be a combination of floaters and posterior capsule opacification, PCO. Depending on the reason, they will probably disappear soon as the particles causin them are absorbed by the body. The PCO can be corrected painlessly and quickly by a laser, which basically makes a hole in the posterior capsule.

You really need to see either your cataract surgeon or another opthamologist to examine your eye to diagnose the exact cause and determine what needs to be done.

• Posted

If it is the same as before surgery then its likely floaters as someone noted, which sometimes can be increased after cataract surgery with remnants of the lens or bits of lens capsule floating. Once you have the floaters in there before surgery, getting rid of the natural lens doesn't get rid of the existing floaters.  There is debate within the medical community over treatment for them, some are cautious about any treatment, while some use a special laser to zap the floaters, and others do a FOV,  a Floater only vitrectomy.

Someone already mentioned PCO as a possibility,   caused by cells growing over the surface of the lens. It used to be that the majority of  people got PCO at some point after cataract surgery, appearing anywhere from right away to a few years after. They've improved lens designs and surgical techniques to where its only a minority, I seem to recall seeing perhaps 15% now (not positive thats the exact figure) get PCO now. Someone winds up being unluckly and being the statistic. 

The laser treatment mentioned is called a YAG laser treatment (if you are doing searches), and is just a few minute procedure that zaps the cells. There is a minuscule risk that there will be regrowth and another YAG needed, with almost all though one treatmenttakes care of the issue. 

• Posted

Hi, thanks for the reply, i seem to notice these floaters more now since iv had the surgery, probably because my vision is now much better. It doesnt bother me too much, just like the rings of light i manage it well. I think i will leave eyes alone now and enjoy my much better vision.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.