Clueless!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I need advice - my sister has started these tablets but she is only 9stone and NOT overweight

I cannot fins anywhere the side effects these will have.

What will they do??

Anyone?

xx :shock:

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm new to all this and yet to start my course....what i do know is this...

\"Orlistat works by blocking chemicals (enzymes) in your gut which digest fat. Nearly a third of the fat that you eat is blocked by orlistat. The undigested fat is not absorbed into your body, and is passed out with your faeces (stools). The normal dose is one capsule, three times a day with each meal. However, you do not need to take one if there is no fat in the meal.\"

This link has lots of useful info https://patient.info/showdoc/23069196

As far as i know it is only used as a slimming aid (in conjunction with healthy eating & exercise) and would perhaps question why she is taking it if she is not over-weight. As far as i know its not meant to be used as a preventative measure to weight gain.

Hope this helps.

x

• Posted

hey clueless!

im 11st n my BMI is 25, id been taking acomplia until it was banned last year, i lost over a stone and went down to 9st 4lbs which is wot my ideal weight should be. since then ive gone back up to 11st. i eat fairly healthily and go to the gym loads but cant shift the weight and im feelin really unhappy. my doctor was reluctant to prescribe me orlistat as they do have very strict guidelines to follow. theres sum fantastic websites giving info on side effects (just google orlistat) and if u flick back through these blogs some are really useful. ive had no side effects appart from the orange oil but of course everybody is different! im sorry i cant offer loads of advice as ive only been taking them a week but i hope this is a tiny bit useful.

xxx

• Posted

I cant find anywhere what will happen if you are already slim and do not have a high BMI, I assume that it will be continual weight loss? xx
  • Posted

I think you are right to be concerned about your sister and these tablets as they are not designed for her needs. Perhaps she has a history of eating concerns and does not see the risks she is taking with her health. Depending on your relationship with her, and how well she might take advice from you, you may want to go and discuss this with her doctor. I am sure the GP won’t discuss your sister’s medical history with you, but you are entitled to ensure your concerns are heard and noted, and you may get advice yourself on how to support her effectively. Good luck.
  • Posted

Good advice RR

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.