Clunking

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had my TKR in mid June and have been doing all the recovery since. Over the past 2 weeks or so I have developed a clunking in and around the kneecap area. It now clunks with each step (I think I can almost hear it and definately can feel it). My physio says this is OK, but it is really starting to get to me. Has anyone else experienced this? thank you in advance. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes.....every time I've gone through it. Soft tissue needs to be strengthened and tightened. I had my latest surgery about the same time as you. ROM is great ...100/0 but leg is so terribly weak that everything hurts and is maming noise. Scar tissue is better and the noise from that is better but everything else needs lots of therapy
  • Posted

Keep working on your quads, it is such a horrible sensation but it will ease. One day you will just realise that it is not there.  The trick is to do exercises where you cannot hear the clunking.  It will dissipate
    • Posted

Funnily both I and my physio have been working on the quads up until my last physio visit, when she started working on the outer kneecap area and that's when the clunking got worse. thanks for the advice
  • Posted

When I had an 8 week visit with my surgeon, he was bending it and I could hear and feel a clunking. He just said to me "can you hear that? I'll leave that with you". Which I took to mean that it's just one of those things I'm left with.

On saying that though, it doesn't clunk all the time - sometimes I don't feel it all week and then it'll do it for a day and then it's gone again.  So personally, I'm hoping that as my knee gets stronger it goes.

• Posted

Hi Lorene, yep its perfectly normal. The last time I saw my surgeon I asked him about it, and he said it was nothing at all to worry about, and will disappear over time. 

Still a bit unnerving though, isn't it? I imagine other people can hear it as Im moving around!

• Posted

I'm with you - I'm sure I can hear it and therefore others can too. It is annoying too. 
  • Posted

Yes, clunking and clicking. . everyone says it's not a problem, and provided it isn't also painful, it's just part of the saga.  Mine does come and go, but still click quite often at eight months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.