Clunking

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 8 months post TKR, had a manipulation in March I'm experiencing quiet loud clunking when i walk or move it, and very painful . It also feels very heavy when I walk

Is this all normal?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Natalie, sounds like you should be seeking advice from your doctor or surgeon, hope you get well soon neutral
  • Posted

I’m now 12 months post TKR and ‘clunking’ is perfectly normal but pain isn’t especially after 8 months,hopefully you’ve maybe overdone things and the pain will ease,try voltarol gel is very good morning,evening,and night and see if it helps,but if you don’t think it’s caused by overdoing things and see your GP. 

• Posted

I had a TKR in May of last year. The pain, swelling and stiffness never went away. In August my OS decided I needed a MUA followed by a week of intensive PT. And then PT 2 times a week.

My doctor said he got my ROM to 145 while under anesthesia. While my ROM got to 95 or so afterwards the pain and swelling never went away.

A few months later I noticed that my quad muscle started to get really week. My knee would give out on occasion so I started to use a crutch for stability.

In January of this year the pain got worse and I started to hear a thud at times when I walked, bent down etc. I also felt my leg was very heavy. I decided to see if another OS would see me given that it was not quite a year since my TKR. I was able to find a great doctor.

After examination he felt that the implant was loose and that I had an infection. Blood work confirmed an infection and I underwent the first stage of a two stage revision on 7/6. My OS told me that the tibia part of the implant was so loose that he was able to remove it with his fingers.

My point of telling you this is not to scare you or infer that you have an infection. It's to tell you that if you are concerned please make an appointment asap with your OS to see what is going on. If you are not happy with him try to find another doctor who will see you. Most will not see you before a year had passed.

And I will never let a doctor perform a MUA again. I'm convinced that was at least part of the cause of the loosening although my doctor told me there is no way of knowing.

• Posted

Yes, yes and yes...  I LOVED my clunking sound before it went away!!!  People would hear it and I'd say "Did you hear that?  Wonder what it was?"  Then it would clunk again.  At 70, I LOVE screwing with people's heads...  Yes, it goes away over time...  Pain?  Try some Voltaren Gel (RX in the US, generic diclofenac elsewhere).  Great topical anti-inflammatory and pain reliever.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.