Cluster headaches/ migraines

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi , for years I've had really bad headaches which could only be relieved by migraine tablets. I've not had any flashing lights or light aversion etc that migraine suffers experience. 

Recently these attacks have come in clusters , I'd have one then take sumatriptan which would get rid of it only to return a few hours later and this usually happens 3/4 times over a couple of days. This can go on 2/3 times a month . 

My doctor now thinks these aren't migraines but cluster headaches. 

This week has been the worst as the headache started on Monday morning and has been recurring from then. At the moment the pain is quite intense but as I've had more sumatriptan than I should have I darent take any more! 

Do any of you suffer like this or know someone who does? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alison,

You need somethinng to prevent the clusters in the first place.

Get a referal to a neurologist to identify the best one for you, but in the mean time, talk to your GP about Verapamil or Pregabalin, I have to take both of these.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Take care and best wishes

• Posted

sometimes if you take to many tablets like pain relief it can  stop working but i have no experience with sumatriptan
  • Posted

HinAlison, Ive suffered from cluster headaches in the past and I know it's the worst pain imaginable, mine was around my left eye and temple. I was treated with sumatriptan injections which I took as soon as one started but could only have two injections per day, I was getting around 4-5 attacks a day, and to stop them I had a drug called Varipamil, the Varipamil stopped them completely after around a week.

There is a support group on the net called "Ouch", have a look and join.

Hope they go soon Neil 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.