CMC SURGERY DAY 1

Posted , 3 users are following.

So for those of you suffering with Thumb joint pain. Osteoarthritis! I was getting the cortisone injections for the last 2 years, the first couple of times they lasted around 8/9 weeks. Trust me you will go back they give me in the beginning 100% relief. I would get them as often as my doctor would let me. Then the time came. That last shot , surgery was suggested. I also had the miracle gel that I was using to cope with the pain. So today was the day. Nerve block which is great, it's starting to wear off after a good 14 hours 🙁 I was told to take meds, every 4 hours which I waited 7 hours after I got home for round 1. I think I was in so much pain prior to surgery this hasn't been to bad so far. Will keep u posted on my recovery.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Glad to hear things seem to be going well for you TR50.  I had just one cortisone injection, which hurt to hell and back when they did it and the benefits lasted precisely one day and then wore off, so I didnt get any more done - not worth the agony in my case.   I've been avoiding surgery as the only surgery I've been offered would severely restricted the thumb movement and I need to keep working which would be impossible after this type of surgery.  I've now found really enormous relief from using ginger (fresh ginger root which I grate, mix with hand cream and rub into the joints), the pain has dropped to what I can only call a bad ache which I can cope with.  The horrible searing nightmare pain I used to have has gone.  My own little miracle cure.  Dont get me wrong, I still have OA and I still have pain but oh my its so much easier and at least I can now hold a knife and fork to eat smile  Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

You are 💯 % correct on the shots, hurt like hell. which they worked great for me, until that last one. I really had no choice but to get it fixed. And wow since the nerve block has worn off, this is some painful crap. I'm just looking at the long haul. Something had to be done, more so to continue to do my job. Good luck to you

• Posted

Hi!

Welcome to the forum!😊

Glad to hear that things are working out for you!

I had nerve blocks for each of my knee replacements, and the nerve blocks sure did help in that first 24 hours! I found that the pain was controlled well and allowed me to do the movement I needed to do to prevent blood clots.

I sure do know what you mean about pain PRIOR to surgery being REALLY BAD! Although I had discomfort due to swelling mostly, the horrendous pain I experienced PRIOR to my surgeries was GONE!😊

Osteoarthritis is NASTY!👿

I have it in my shoulders, my lower back, my ankles, my elbows, my hips and, most recently, in my thumbs, index fingers and middle fingers. The finger thing is new to me and can be pretty painful!

So happy to hear that things are going well for you since your surgery! Keep posting! It is great to hear about successes!

• Posted

Not so happy after the nerve block wore off. This is very painful 😖. I've been keeping my arm elevated And taking my meds every 4 hours. I just hope by day 3 some of this will subside. They say the first 3/4 days are the worst. Wow this has just about been unbearable. But the long run is what I'm looking forward to. Thank you and good luck to you as well.

• Posted

All I can say it's been very painful. Stitches out today, and the ole blue cast. Friday was my. Worst day yet. I thought I was a tuff one, but this had me in tears. I took everything off my arm bandages and all. Put ice packs to get some of the swelling out. Actually felt better. I Think it was way to tight. Which may have contributed to excruciating pain. Much better

today yay😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.