Co-codamol 30mg/500mg tablets how many a day...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hiya...

Ok I'm on Co-codamol 30mg/500mg tablets 2 tabs 4 times a day (about 5yrs) , now most times I take 3 tabs 4 times a day as the pain is so bad at times, my questions is...

How many is to much a day...Can you take say 4 or 5 at a time and be Ok, would appreciate any help and advice on this, I have arthritic hips and hanging in there at the mo, the pain does get very bad and hence the question....

Thanks in advance...PJ

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello. It is the paracetamol that is the drug that can cause the most problems because it affects the liver, however the dose you take will be prescribed by your doctor and hopefully he arranges for you to have annual blood tests to monitor your liver function amongst other things. I also have arthritis (osteoarthritis) in several joints including the base of my spine and was prescribed codeine without the paracetamol combined however my GP and pharmacist encourage me to take paracetamol with it because it helps the analgesic effect of the codeine. So you are taking the recommended dose over 24 hours but taking 4-5 in one go would officially be an overdose although many people do take such a large amount. If the pain relief isn't working you probably need something stronger. My GP prescribes me Morphine for when the pain is really severe. Perhaps you should have your medication reviewed.
    • Posted

"Perhaps you should have your medication reviewed." yep sounds like I need a trip to my GP, they are to quick to get you out the door these days...Thanks for your reply and info..

Regards..PJ

• Posted

I know what you mean, GP's always seem as though they are rushed. I just thought your medication wasn't working for you. I know how painful arthritis is, I have it in my shoulders, hands, fingers, knees, feet and ankles. I thought I was helping.
  • Posted

Hi PJ,

It's good that you're sticking to the recommended dose. I would certainly not recommend taking 4 or 5 at a time 1. You don't know your body's reaction and you could potentially end up accidental overdosing and 2. Even if you didn't you have no idea what effect that is going to have on liver and kidneys.

The thing with codeine is that you develop a tolerance so where as you may start taking 3 at a time, then 4, then 5 etc and before you know it you have liver failure or worse.

I know this myself as I got addicted and it's a very very slippery slope. If the meds aren't enough, speak to the doc express the pain you're in and how they do not work.

Hope this helps.

Sweatz

• Posted

Monkeypearl,

please stick to the recommended doseage,2 tablets max.,4times a day.

As Matron says,it is your liver that will suffer;I know the pain can be terrific but exceeding the dose will only make things a lot worse in the future.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.