Co codamol

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello

Bit of advice please I broke my ribs roughly about a year ago, since then I have been taking a whole pack of co codamol a day so 32 a day minimum!

I'm starting to realise I have a problem now when pharmacy staff are starting to recognise me and refusing to serve me I have also on occasions taking nurofen plus with the co codamol, I have a great job 3 beautiful children a wonderful wife and I'm still only 31!

I am starting to get worried I've done some serious damage to my body.

Any advice would help please.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi you have got addicted to the codeine please don't be ashamed it happens to many myself included i got addicted to prescribed codeine and when stopped went into withdrawals and started taking 32 nurofen plus a day please please don't end up like me i told my dr and got referred to the drug and alcohol team who put me on subutex which is so much stronger and 11 years later still battling to come off it so firstly do not let anyone prescribe subutex. If you have a good GP who you feel you can tell they could prescribe you a codeine taper plan to pick up weekly. If you don't want to tell your GP you could either begin to start talking less each week or another way is just go cold turkey you will be ill with flu like symptoms for approx 2 weeks and mood drops and even after 2 weeks as opiates play havoc with your mind and body for a while afterwards can you confide in your wife as you will need some support please don't feel ashamed but please try and get help now I've lost everything from this addiction and being prescribed subutex i wouldn't want anyone else to go through the same. You will get support and advice on here Ritchie and Brian are some. You are in the early stages and it's best to get help now you are not allow as I've discovered keep us posted if you choose cold turkey get loperamide for diarrhoea and buscupan for stomach cramps take plenty of long baths other people on here will give you help take care and all the best xx

• Posted

Hi there 

you may feel alone but there are thousands of people with codeine addictions ... its now so common that your local drug service can give you help with overcoming your addiction,however the main problem is they prescribe you methadone which is more addictive and does not sort out the problem 

the safest and most common sense method is a slow reduction/taper which can be done via your gp/doctor .... and done via the doctor they can prescribe you the codeine only tablet ( no paracetamol ) and this still gives you the codeine for the taper but not the more damaging paracetamol 

but you need to see your gp ..... from a guy who had a 8 year methadone addiction ( clean now ) it can be done,but you need to get your wife involved and get everything in the open .... when i told my wife about my methadone addiction she wasnt happy but once the heat had settled i felt better and then it was easier to quit

your gp can also order some bloods to check your LFT,s( liver function test ) but done be too concerned .. even if the LFT,s are raised the liver can repair itself pretty quick 

it will be tough quitting .. i wont lie to you but do you want to feel like this forever .. as you said your only 31 and have a long and rewarding life in front of you ....   

also with the pompey promoted you have something else to look forward to ....

i wish you the best mate 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.