co codamol addiction

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi.. Its just if I post how I'm feeling then it helps me. I've gone from taking 4 three times a day to 3 in morning THEN exercise on and off daily and keeping busy through niggles of pain and to finish with 4 at night around 7.30pm and omg my life has changed. I feel so much better and happier. As I know I'm trying my best to keep dosages down. Although I'm still worrying as I know we are only meant to stick to 2 per dose. I'm staying UNDER the 8 per day mark BUT will this still HARM me. Could anyone plz put my mind at rest, I think I'm doing well BUT AM I ?? Thanks lainy xx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

When taking 3 or 4 at a time you are taking far too much paracetamol and it os this that will do the damage. Try reducing to 2. 3 times per day.

Good luck.

• Posted

You are doing brilliantly! As the normal dose is 8 per day you should be ok but keep trying to reduce every 5-7 days as yourtolerance will build and you may start to going up again!

But a huge well done for getting where you are.

Take care,

Kate

X

• Posted

Obviously taking them 2 every 4 hours is the recommendation dose for paracetamol,taking 2000mg could harm your liver.
    • Posted

Arhh yes, so I'm still harming myself doing this?? I'm trying so hard & will try to do 3 in morn & 3 and half, I don't know what it is I've always got to have the half involved lol it a mental thing! Thanks for your support though and for "well done" ing me haha I needed to hear that xx
    • Posted

For got to say the 3 and half bit AT NIGHT lol soz x
    • Posted

I used to take 64+ a day of Nurofen plus (13 years) I am now down to3X30mg codeine a day and am VERY lucky my kidneys and liver are still healthy so I don't think you will have harmed yourself 😊 you should be proud of yourself codeine is a nasty drug to stop......im still gettingrestless legs and arms and I've been tapering since beginning of April 😐,

Kate xx

• Posted

Hi,

I have been prescribed 30/100 co-codamol for about 2 years getting 100 tablets every 8 weeks on repeat prescription for foot and back pain.I started taking too many about 6 months purely for the relaxing kick of the codeine and treating it almost as an anti-depessant .2 at time were not enough and eventually I was taking 5 at least to get the same effect and 8 of the lesser dosage  over the counter ones which are freely available not realizing the serious consequences.It was only when went a forum such as this that I could see that I had a problem.I went to my new doctor who was very helpful.She advised me to cut down drastically.Against her advice I decided to stop immediately as I was ashamed of the situation I had got myself in.I am nearly 60 but try to keep fit through swimming and walking and a healthy diet.

The withdrawl symptons are quite severe with a strong craving for the drug.The main problem I have had is with an inability to sleep properly due to my mind unable to shut down.Fortunately I am fairly resiliant and have resisted the temptation to resume taking co-codamol but I have been prescribed sleeping tablets short term to even get 2 or 3 hours a nights rest.I think that I am now just starting to get through the problem.Since stopping taking the drug my personality has improved and my mind is sharper and my taste for heathier food resumed.Also thankfully my blood tests showed no issues/damage with excess paracetamol I was taking.Although I am typing this at 02:00 am in the morning as I can't sleep at the moment it has been theraputic for me.Thank you for listening.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.