Co-Codamol addiction

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi. I'm pretty sure I have an addictive personality - I'm a recovering alcoholic (13 years sober currently) - and I'm now coming to terms with another addiction. I'm 64, 5 ft 4 ins tall and weigh just under 11 st.

Some years ago I started taking Co-codamol, probably for pain of some kind though I really don't have a clear recollection. At first I would be taking the correct dose, but this gradually crept up until I was taking 20-22 every night (all in one go!). These were my wife's initially (her prescription is for 200 30/500s, but I was always careful to reorder well in time so she never ran out. After a while, I got a prescription for myself - initially this was for 100 30/500s, but at the end of last year this mysteriously increased to 224. I hadn't requested this, but an addict never looks a gift horse in the mouth.

I now had access to over 400 tablets, and with judicious reordering could keep them coming. Unfortunately (for me) two things happened which brought the whole thing crashing down. First was Covid-19, which emptied the surgeries of patients. Next, I accidentally reordered my supply too soon after the last online request. Though the surgery is now open again, the service is much restricted, so the reception staff are given things to do, such as checking out too-frequent ordering. Long story short, I got a call from a GP, during which I confessed the whole sorry tale.

He prescribed me Codeine, one week's supply to be given out on a weekly basis, and ordered blood tests. The tests came back, and apparently I got a clean sheet. No liver or kidney damage, nothing untoward at all. Clear proof that the Devil looks after his own, I feel.

The call took place on June 25th. It's now July 6th. I binned the codeine prescription, and just stopped taking any more Co-codamol. Since then, I've had diarrhoea, excessive sleepiness, some mood swings and a few other bits & pieces. I know I've got off lightly, and I might not be quite so lucky the next time. For the moment, things do seem to be improving, and as long as I can stay strong I might just get through this. One thing is for sure - I dare not lift another Co-codamol. Or a drink.

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.