co codamol addiction an withdrawals

Posted , 60 users are following.

ive been taking co codamols 30/500 for over 5 years the last three years taking 2 four times a day , my doc told me to take them regularly as im alergic to asprin and anti infamatories , i have two town and buldging discs in my lower back , anyway i have suffered terible tummy problems weight gain and dependancy while taking them , always thinking about when i can take the next dose , not even in pain dont know if i was in pian i just took them bcos i was told to to keep my pain down , ive jsut had a stint in hospital for tummy problems , and i think these tablets have added to them problems without a doubt , i feel i dont need these pills for pain now more for addiction and habbit , anyway cut a long story short i came out of hospital yesterday i had taken none was ok day 2 today sever cramps , diareah , flu like symptoms , awfull pain shakes , anyway i taken paracetamol to ease the pain didnt touch it so i took 1 dihidracodine 30mg withing mins the cramps stopped , havent needed anything else so i think im over the worse of the withdrawals , i wont ever be taking them again , i feel like ive just taken the lining off my stomach , why oh why do the docs prescribe these pills so easily , i made my own choice to come off these pills i dont even take any more than prescribed amount but still i have never experienced pain and cramps like that in my life !!! anyone had the same problems ??

5 likes, 243 replies

243 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi all how are you all doing ? im back on 8 a day due to severe pain , as im allergic to other painkillers im in catch 22 i have not been tempted to take more that prescribed dose , but i feel im back at the start again , they have offered me stronger painkillers but im scared to take anythign else bcos of addiction again im cant cope bcos of the pain and dont want to be taking these wither grrrrr im so fed up !! hope your all doing ok xxxx
    • Posted

Hi Debs

Just seen your post and you have my absolute sympathy, I've been on co-co too on and off over the years for a variety of things and know how addictive it is, but it is a good painkiller.  As you are sticking to the prescribed dose you should be OK.  I'm not allowed to take other painkillers either as I have had all sorts of tummy and bowel problems, possibly triggered by anti inflamatory painkillers.  At the moment I'm doing without the co-co, though the temptaion is still occasionally there.  My pains were mainly head aches, I can't remember what yours are.  Anyhow, you have my total support and I'll keep an eye on your thread in case you need more support.

Lizzie

• Posted

I'm back on the coco due to pain with the damp weather but thankfully only 4 a day at most so,far .. my doctor has changed my pregabalin pain killers to gabapentin for the future because of costs , I,just hope I don't go loopy on them lol , I will find out next month ... keep up the good work of not taking too many tablets people !! Xx
  • Posted

hi i have a similar problem other i don't crave them.i

​I've been on them over ten years i take 30/500.i hate taking them and try to stop all the time.when i take them i get bunged up get cramps hot sweats at night.When i stop i get the runs and does not stop also i dont sleep because of pain so i will take a pill and it stops the cycle starts all over again.I have put on loads of weight not thru eating or drinking and  can not exercise to loose it .I get very depressed as i

feel its just going to get worse for me .I lay in bed with all this going around in my head thinking dark thoughts . Its a feelin of no hope of things getting better for me !

• Posted

Hi tooto

You have my sympathy, what is the original pain you are taking them for?  Mine was headaches, but in the end they morphed into painkiller headaches so it was a vicious circle.  The co-co bunged me up, so I took a laxative which gave me the runs so I took loperimide which bunged me up again, etc etc in circles.  In the end I just went cold turkey, it was horrid, I won't beat about the bush, but it was so worth it, I reckon it took me four weeks to get it all out of my system. That was back in 2014.

I have to go out now but will reply to your next post with more advice

LIzzie xxx

• Posted

hi again

My problem is all joint problem. 2 fused ankles 2 nkd knees 1 has had

​replacement jobs twice and still hurts like mad after 2yrs g

​the other is shot  my hips hurt as nothing lines up now. to top it all when i walk because i jar myself (i my legs dont bend) it jars my lower back its pain when i walk too much pain in bed and sitting lso pain killers .

​i used to be super fit represented my Country  and GB at a high level

until my 30s ,now this. !!

• Posted

Hi again

Your pain problems seem much worse than mione ever were, when I stopped taking the co-co the headaches stopped too, more or less, until recently, but even then, not as bad as when I was taking the pills.  However, that I think is only a feature for those of us who take co-co for headaches and I can appfrecaite that for you the problem is much much worse.  Have you spoken to your gp recently about it? if so, what did they reccomend?

Lizzie xxx

• Posted

Good God you have it bad ! You have my sympathy you really do .. Have you ever had morphine patches or anything morphine based ? You really do need to see your doc and maybe try to get pain management or something .. you are getting g depressed a d I assume you are like me at times and miss being the "old" you ? Also constant pain is extremely tiring which in turn makes your moods low , I get you , I've had it all but went cold turkey off the coco's as they were making me feel totally sh*te in the end , I have had to start taking them again but only 2-4 a day , I am trying g to walk more to get rid of the weigh I have gained through my injury and age ( middle age spread ) which I know will put less pressure on my back but you are a totally different story to me ... Seriously , get to your docs , you are not doing yourself any favours being embarrassed about being a whinger and I'm sure your wife will be feeling bad for you and totally useless so it would help her also. My husband is extremely understanding but I realised it wasn't fair in him by not at least trying Rochelle my self .. DOCTORS for you Mr ! Lol

• Posted

hi

i have finally made an appointment with the doc.

I think this forum has helped ! but still not looking forward

​to this. what normally hapens is he asks how i'm doing an i say

great ! If i can sort out the pain meds the  depression side will get better

​but most probably he'll just offer me happy pills .

​Any way thanks for the chat all x

• Posted

Glad to hear you've made an appointment , only this time don't tell fibs by telling him you are great lol.

This forum is good as you don't feel so alone in how you are feeling and there is some great advice and of course when your meds work your mood will lift ,well worth the visit hey ? So good luck 😊

• Posted

Thanks its much easier to talk this way .

Thanks All x

• Posted

Hi

I have lost confidence in doctors a bit , and fed up of telling them how i feel.

​I knnow i need to go back to see him but ill be telling him the same thing again

and when i saw a dnother doc an asked hin for different pain relief a gave me a cream and that was useless .

​I will make another appointment but not looking foward to feeling like a winger

​telling how depressed i am its embarrassing talking about it ,i refuse to talk to my wife about how i feel. I do find it easier to talk like this though.

• Posted

Don't feel embarrassed about telling your doctor how you feel , that is what he is there for and it's often trial and error before the right medication is prescribed .. we are not all the same and not all meds suit all people so go get back there and get yourself sorted before you start getting depression on top of any pain you are having .. life us for living , not being unhappy ! :-)
  • Posted

I've now been taking co-codamol 30/500 for around 10 years give or take, I can most days take more than the recommended dosage of 8 per day, I now haven't had any since Thursday due to my prescription running out and not being due yet, I can easily get some as my mum also gets them but after a recent scare with my brother who's also on them and he's gone cold turkey he been suicidal I definitely want to come off them, it's something me and my partner have spoken about as we want to try for a baby and he's worried about what it's doing to me, the problem is when I get my prescription next week as there's another medication on there I need I'm scared I will go back to using them. I'm on them for a shoulder injury that's never got better, still get pains with that but I'm hoping with paracetamol and heat pads it will help, I'm currently experiencing restlessness, shakes, unable to sleep, had the runs but after 3 days I've bought some Imodium to put that at ease, anyone any advice for me and how long it would last please? I've never wrote on anything like this before but reading everyone's comments I can see that you are all supportive and don't criticise which I like as I feel if I go to my go I will get criticised, my partner is understanding my mother isn't though and she's always going on every time I see her and threatening to go to my go herself and tell him but that's not something I want as I would like to try and do this myself, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    • Posted

Hi there

I was addicted to the 30/500 co-codamol's towrads the end of 2014, having taken them for several years.  In the end I took an overdose and turned myself in to a&e and they put me on the paracetamol antidote, which was a drip that lasted 21 hours and was quite unpleasant as I had a mild anaphalactic reaction to it.  Luckily I hadn't wrecked my liver with the paracetamol, which is the really dangerious thing with these pills and so decided to go cold turkey.

For the first couple of days I didn't feel much at all but then I had four weeks of sheer hell, diarrhea, aches and pains, headaches, sleeplessness restless legs, and they are just the ones I can remember.  Fortunately it does get better and by the end of four weeks I was clean and without any withdrawal effects.  IT is very hard but I can reccomend it.

My original problem was headaches so what I was getting was rebound, or painkiller, headaches, these dissapeared when I came off the co-codamol.

Latterly though I'm now on 30mg codeine phosphate several times a day for arm, neck, hand and shoulder pain (trapped nerve suspected), I can't take anti inflamatory painkillers as I've had tummy troubles and can't take amitryptyline as I'm also on another anti-dep for my bipolar, so I have to have codeine, though with my history I'm being very careful and every few days having a few days off them, trying not to get addicted again.  I've noticed that I develope tollerance very quickly, which the gaps help, but don't seem to be getting dependant doing it this way.

Any questions just ask, I've been there where you are now and know how hard it is.

Love

Lizzie xxx

• Posted

Thankyou so much for your reply Lizzie, I am going to try and give it a go and go cold turkey, had a long conversation with my partner and he agrees, I think that today the main withdrawals are kicking in as my belly keeps making noises and haven't been able to sleep maybe half an hour about 7:30 till my partner got in from work as he works nights and in that time had a bad dream,luckily he's off work now for 4 days soon will have him there to support me, he has said he doesn't want me to do this and go back and make myself worse but he will support me in my decision. As long as I can cope with the withdrawals and pain as I have a low pain threshold I can hopefully do this, I have decided to write a daily journal for myself documenting my progress and feelings ect so I can look back when I feel it's getting hard and know how long I've gone but 3 days down and not too many withdrawals yet so hopefully don't get many but not getting my hopes up. Feel like I can do this knowing a lot more people like yourself have been through it or are going through it so thankyou so much x
    • Posted

Hi Kezz

I'm right with you and will be following this thread if you need any support at any time.  I won't pretend its easy but it is worth it in the end.  Its great that you have your partner's support, that will make a big difference, when I came home from hospital all I got was a pile of criticism, so called "tough love", not what I needed.

I would reccomend loperimdie (the cheap and generic version of imodium for the diarrhea), if you can take any non opiate painkillers, like I wasn't able to, that might herlp too, I've also hear people on here say that magnesium supplemnts help.

I will NEVER judge you, I just want to help.

LOve

Lizzie

• Posted

sorry last post so full of typos, I'm a rubbish typist!!!!  meant LOPERIMIDE to combat the diarrhea

Lizzie

• Posted

Thankyou so much Lizzie,

It's nice to have the support from someone who I know has gone through it themselves, I know my partner will support me the best he can he's just worried he can't provide enough support as he hasn't gone through it himself, and thinks this forum is a brilliant idea, so it is really appreciated, experiencing a lot of the insomnia right now still not able to sleep so reading a book, better doing that than watching tv I feel.

I will try and get them tablets once the chemist is open tomorrow as they will be a lot cheaper option than imodium.

Told my mum about it all about an hour ago and surprisingly she was supportive, she actually said I sound very determined and if I need to phone and talk to her any time of the day I can, that took me by surprise.

Starting to feel more confident now, I know I've a long way to go but between the support of family and yourself I'm committed to try and do this.

Again thankyou so much and I will keep you updated :-) X

• Posted

Hi Kezz

Superb that your mum is on your side, that will help enourmously.  I've had loads of mental health issues over the years and have always found the support of friends and family to be invaluable, just someone who you caN turn to and and say "hell I feel terrible".  Not everyone gets withdrawal effects as bad as I did and you may be one of those lucky ones.  I'm not on my mac all the time but will check for your posts whenever I am.

I'm glad you feel confident about this, that is half the battle, you are doiong great

LOve

Lizzie xxx

• Posted

Just to add, it might be worth getting a LFT (Liver Function Test) done to check that you haven't harmed your liver, although that would involve going to your gp, which I thin k you aren't too keen on.  Just a thought

Lizzie

• Posted

Hi lizzie I have been reading threw your post and many many others congrats on been clean and for so long I'm from Ireland and have been addicted to nurofen plus for 5 years after I broke my ribs I was given Tylex for the pain for a week then I started nurofen plus taken more and more every day I finally hit 20 a day and knew I had to stop Monday was my last day I took them my doc put me on alprazolam xanax relaxers basically 1mg 3 times a day and 2 paracetamol twice a dad it's so hard to stay free but you have done it any advice or help would be great thanks
    • Posted

Hi Jossie

Glad to hear from you.  I'm no expert and with no medical qualifications, BUT I have been through it, so guess that must count for soemthing.  I never tried nurofen plus, how much codeine was in that? did you get it from pharmacies OTC?  I was prescribed the 30/500 co-codamol's by my gp who never reviwed what I was doing, truth to tell, I didn't want him to until it was nearly too late.  

You'll have read above a b it about my experiences and reccomendations so I won't repeat myself, bnut to say welcome to this thread, which I didn't even start, just tagged along on it somewhere along the way and kept following it just in case anyone needed help.  Sp I'm wishing you well in your battle

Is xanax a benzodiazepene?  I use diazepam, which is similar but try not to take it every day, its oprescribed to me for anxiety but it did did help when I was going cold turkey, so good luck with the xanax.

I nvere found the paracetamol much help for anything but when I'm having days off the codeine phospahte its all I've gfot.  I quite like the lemsip concoctions as its a pleasanter way of taking it than the caplets.  The codeine tabs are minute by comparison.  I will have to be very careful not to let myself get addicted again but I'm doing OK so far as I said above, taking breaks from them so that I don't develop dependence.  

Cold Turkey is hard so I'm sending you my very best wishes, glad you've gone to your gp about it, that was a very wise move.

Lots of Love

Lizzie xxx

• Posted

Thanks for the reply I think the nurofen plus have 15 codeine the rest is ibuprofen you get them over the counter I'm Ireland but there hidden away you just have to ask and keep changing chemists this my 6 night now without them or codeine it's been brutal and hard to function headaches are the worse my doc is detoxing me and xanax are just for aniexty too and depression I'm back with him on Fri and hopefully that will b 11-12 days off them I need to do this for my daughter not only that there's a law coming out over her if you have codeine in ur system when driving you will be done for drug driving I hope I can stay strong and kick it for good and fair play to you ur doing great thanks for the help and advice I'll keep you posted thanks again

Johnny

• Posted

Hi Jossie

We have a similar law over here in England about driving and codeine, here you are allowed a small amount but I've always had it on prescription so I just keep a copy of my repeat prescription form with me next to my car insurance in my filofax (I'm a dinosaur and don't have a smart phone!!!!!).

You are dead right abou the headaches, they are killers aren't they, that was for me perhaps the hardest part.

I'm bipolar too so have lots of experienece od depression, anxiety, mania etc, I suspect my addiction to co-cocodamol originated as a form of self medication.  My bipolar is now under control and I take citalopram 40mg, risperidone 3mg and diazepam 5mg as required.  

Hope this  morning finds you coping OK

Love 

Lizzie

• Posted

Morning lizzie thanks again for your reply last nite was another bad nite not with pains or that more due to not sleeping about 1hr sleep the hole night but headache is easing abit too fingers crossed 2paracetamol this morning and my multi vitamins as I'm not eating properly yet but each day at a time i say I hope this time next month I'll b free of these once and for all and get back to enjoying my life with my little girl who will make me fight this every step of the way thanks for the support talk soon your doing great

Johnny

• Posted

Hi Johnny

You are doing great and I totally support you in your battle.  Thinking of your little girl must be a big motivator, family are precious and we need to stay alive and well for them if we possibly can.

The headaches will come and go but will gradually get better, it just takes time, don't be disheartened if you have a bad day here and there, when I went cold turkey I had good days and bad days but gradually the good ones joined up until I felt normal again.

Sleeping will improve as your body and mind adjust to being without the codeine so just hang on in there.  Do you work? if so is this affecting that?  I'm retired so it wasn't a problem for me, but I imagine working though withdrawal would be hell.

Its powerful stuff codeine isn't it?!  I'll never forget the first time I was prrescribed it, I was much younger and had been to a club dancing and seriously injured my big toe on soem stairs, so was taken by a friend tio a nearby a&e and after they had stitched me up they gave me some codeine to take homew for the pain, I just loved it, and thats the trouble, its nice, to start with anyway, but then you develope tollerance and dependance and before you know your including me, addicted.  Just to say I understand.

Battle this through Johnny, you can do it.

Lizzie xxx

• Posted

Hi lizzie yeah unfortunately i do work its even harder to get threw the day when working but the positive is it keeps you occupied and sometimes takes your mind off it and I have noticed when I work I tend to sleep abit better at night as I can't dose in the day so far everone have said I don't look right but hopefully I will when I kick this habit I'd just like to say thanks again you have been great talk soon

Johnny

• Posted

Its my pleasure Johnny.  I'm a Christian and whilst never forcing my faith or beliefes on others, do think I should put that into practice by helping where I can, being open and loving to those in need and doing what I can to share my experiences.  I've been through a lot in my life and being on these forums has given me a chance to both get support myself and give soemthing back.

May whatever God you belive in bless and keep you, and if there is no god in your life, you have my blessing

Lizzie

• Posted

Cheers lizzie yes I'm a Catholic and do believe in God it exactly a week since I stopped taken them it's been a rough old week at times I felt like given but just looking at a pic off my daughter makes me stop thinking about using again just looking forward to been normal again get back to exercising again put not going to look so far head each they at a time and go from I must say this forum has helped me alot so glad I found I'll keep you posted thanks

Johnny

• Posted

Hi Johnny

Just seen your post, I'll pray for you tonight.  I'm Church of England with a bit of Methodist and RC in me too, very ecumenical, but officially C of E.

Night night

Lizzie

• Posted

Good morning lizzie this is the start of my 2nd week kicking this horrible habit slept ok last night got more than 2 hrs sleep which is more than usual headache not as bad hopefully a sign of things changing I'll keep fighting to I'm completely clear one day if all things going well
    • Posted

Hi Lizzie, just an update, now into day 5 and not sure if I'm lucky or not but don't seem to be having too many symptoms apart from insomnia and restlessness, I am managing to sleep a little bit at various times of the day, just keep thinking in my head about taking co-codamol though so if this is all I'm getting I'll be happy, it's still hard as I get the urge and the lack of sleep making me snappy sometimes but that's always the case when I don't get enough sleep, my partner can't believe how well I'm doing, just with I didn't get the urge, how long did it take for yourself to stop thinking about getting co-codamol or when can you get some?

Thanks, Kerry x

• Posted

Hi kerry well done getting this far how did you do it cold turkey I'm currently on my 8th day and the sleep is still the worse along with the headaches my doc said the craving will always be there to take them you just have to remember why you had to get off them and how hard it was anytime you have the urge just think of that how hard it was and could you go threw it again I know I couldnt just keep fighting and stick at it keep me posted how your doing I'm only 3 days of them longer and things are getting abit better good luck stay strong

Johnny

• Posted

Hi Kerry and Johnny

Congratiulations, you are both doing brilliantly, I'm glad you aren't suffering as bad as I did, that is a true blessing.  Sleep is a real problem though isn't it!  I still suffer from broken sleep but thats nothing to do with my co-co problems.

When I'd made my mind up to stop I supressed then urge to get more co-co right away.  I'm like that, I can be hooked on saoemthing for years and then eventually, afetr umpteen failed attempts to stop, just give up, usually when a crisis has pushed me to that point.  It was like that for me with the smoking, I'd tried to cut down for years and always failed until my gp at the time persuaded me it was going to kill me, so I just stopped.

I've got a physio appointment this morning so sorry this isn't longer.  Will be thinking of you both

Lizzie

• Posted

Hi Jossie and Lizzie,

To be honest Jossie I get my co-codamol on prescription and I get enough for a month but ran out early and realised that's not good so instead of going to buy some I just stopped, did the first 3 days without telling anyone then told my partner and my mum, luckily my partner works shifts 4 on 4 off and he's now off so got his support now and a friends support who I told yesterday and thEy are what's stopping me going to buy any, thankfully I've not had any headache or sickness or runs (had runs first 2 days then took Imodium but fine now) and I'm actually eating more than usual, had breakfast this morning which I never do thanks to my partner, it's the love and support off people that's helping me through it plus right now my withdrawals aren't too bad, good luck Jossie I hope you do well, everyone's different with regards to withdrawal and will power, I usually have none but for some strange reason I have tons for this :-) x

• Posted

That's great to hear my withdrawals were brutal so bad but think now I'm threw the worse of them ( fingers crossed) headache still need niggling away but I can function now and hasn't affected my work all I take now is 2paracetamol in the morning for my headache but tank god it's not codeine keep up the good work I know you can do it I was addicted 5 yrs so forget what normal is but I find already I have abit more energy talk soon keep it up

Johnny

• Posted

Hi lizzie and kerry how are yous keeping how you getting on kerry on staying free I'm now on my 10th day clean had a bad day yesterday but just pushed threw feel alot better this still have slight cold like symptoms a little headache and runny nose but I know will pass soon I'm bk in my gp tomorrow and going to treat myself to a day of work and a gym membership hope everything is going well for you kerry ( lizzie how long was it before your sleep got bk to something like normal mine is still very bad 2-3 hrs anight) talk to yous soon

Johnny

• Posted

I'm not a good example when it comes to sleep as I've not slept propewrly for years, going to bed late getting up early and several times in between, latterly I've taken to reading in the night, which I really enjoy..  My co-co cold turkey was nearly two years ago and I can't actually remember how long it took for sleep patterns to get back to my "normal", but given that I recall being fine by 4 weeks I guess thats the answer.  

You continue to do well, congratulations.

Lizzie xxx

• Posted

I never was a good sleeper myself but with codeine I slept like a baby just have to let it run its course I suppose as I said it 5 yrs since I remember what normal is but it feels so much better with the pills I guess the hard part starts now no to take again ever thanks again lizzie for the advice

Johnny

• Posted

Hi both,

well I'm now into my second week, can't really comment on the sleep either as I've not slept well for years but sleeping better now than I was when I first come off them, the restless ness has gone, the urge's to take them has gone now too, been to my mums today and could have easily got some as she has them and as I my shoulder been really hurting lately and that's the reason I went on co-codamol, she even offered me them and gave my brother some in front of me but I refused, got this far now so may aswell carry on going, I'm hoping that this isn't the calm before the storm really as I've not had many withdrawals I keep expecting more to appear.

Kerry.

• Posted

Ah brilliant kerry delighted for you if it's your 2nd week the withdrawals usually get better hopefully it's not the reverse for you shundnt be people are just different and affects alot of them different I had a bad day yesterday but the urge was never there to take them was just sleep deprived but feel so much better this morning keep it going and stay strong and hopefully in a few months time we can say were clean at last talk soon

Johnny :-D

• Posted

How are you doing today Johnny?  I've been thinking about you and Kerry and Michael.  Its a devil isn't it, the cravings, the pain, discomfort but it sounds as if you are all making progress in your own special ways and will be so worth it.  Don't worry if any of you have a relapse, it can take several attempts soemtimes, and just soemtimes its unbeatable.  Thing is we are all precious and valued.

Lizzie

• Posted

Hi lizzie I'm doing good had a good day today all I have now are slight cold symptoms and me sleep is abit all over the place but generally feel good 10th day over and in the docs tomorrow to let him know how I'm doing I'm taken the day off work as a little reward and then I get my daughter for the wkend and can't wait I've loads planned for us :-D :-D I starting to think why I ever needed them and hopefully I won't again you have been such a great help during this all I can say is thank you very very much and I'll keep you posted hopefully now I threw the worse of it
    • Posted

Hi Johnny

Well done you :-)  I'm really pleased for you and especially that you can have quality time with your daughter, its been worth it for her alone, let alone the personal benefits for you.  I hope it goes well for you at the docs today too, I'll be thinking of you.

This forum is amazing isn't it!  I've met some great people and had loads of support since 2014, and hope I've been able to give a little back.  

Many blessings

Lizzie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.