Co Codamol addiction. What should I do?

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi. I've been taking Co Codamol 15/500 for the best part of 9 years now and I cannot seem to stop taking them. I can't function without taking these and now I want to stop taking them as I know it can't be doing my insides any good. I never go over 6 in a day and my do for said that it is fine and not to worry. Which I think is a poor attitude for a doctor to take. What should I do?  I need help but don't know what's gong to happen when I come off them. Help!!! 😥

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am after some help / advice...  My partber has been addicted to these horrible pills for around nine years now.  Being prescribed 30/500 off the gp in boxes of 240 every month, along with buying at least one 8/500 box over the counter weekly.

I had previously begged him to stop inacse he is doing damage to his body, and because even if he isn't now I don't want any harm to come to him in the future as we have young children.

I finally got him to go to the gp last tuesday and the doctor ordered liver and kidney blood tests which he had on the wednesday.  He also accessed the local drug service on the thursday and on thusrday night the gp called and said he needed to attend the local A&E department for further bloods.

He went up to hospital and had tests done which luckily came back ok. But he was advised not to take a paracetamol containing product for at least a month. Upon arriving home thursday night he took two 8/500 and then asked me to bin the rest which I did.

Since then he claims not to have had any more tablets but he doesnt seem to be experiencing any withdrawal symptoms whatsoever. He has managed to take the kids out for the day on the friday and today (saturday) we have been shopping and he is acting ok, no headaches, he has said his legs are aching a little and he has a bit of a runny nose but he says he feels ok.  I know it is only day two but surely he would be feeling quite bad right now..? He has lied about coming off them before so although I am trying my best to support him, the doubt in my mind is still there.  I have looked in all his hiding spots and can't find any.  There were 16 that he did have stashed, but I keep counting them and they remain untouched.  

I really hope he is coming off them, as they have caused no end of problems in our relationship, we have been trying for a baby for months with no luck and it's also recently been causing erectile dysfunction.  I really can't understand why that approaching 48 hours of supposedly being clean he seems perfectly ok... is he lying or are the worse symptoms yet to come?   he's back to work on wednesday and so he needs to be feeling ok by then.

Any help, advice etc would be very helpful and much appreciated, if he is lying this time I really need to question the stability of our relationship.

• Posted

It's different for some people, but by day two he should be in a lot more pain than that (day three is usually the worst) He might even be getting opiates from someone else and not the Doctor. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.