Co-codamol and COPD

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been pretty bad lately with my breathing and been on steroids, antibiotics and lung clearing tablets also had chest X-ray and ECG still not heard results and almost 2weeks now but the thing i just found out yesterday is that the Co-Codamol can cause breathlessness. I try not to take to many so cut it to the days i am busy at work so take 2 30/500mg along with ibuprofen for 3 days.

Thing is i was not told this and i am unsure why my Doctor would give me this for my back when i am struggling with my breathing just now. I did say at the time is it okay to take with steroids but is that not defeating the purpose of the steroids ? Now i know i guess i must get answers as i am not so happy to take them .

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'd suggest that if you can do without co codamol then do. If you can't, then don't. Drs weigh up pros and cons.

• Posted

First, as always, contact your medical professionals regarding side effects or unwanted elevations of symptoms. Always the best choice, call or visit with them.

Next, if you could expand some on your story and add more details it might become clearer what your situation currently is. I and others would like to console and maybe advise as most of us are experiencing our own stories.

Eat a good diet that includes fruits and vegetables, it really is important.

All the Best.

• Posted

Margaret, that is an allergic reaction to co-codamol. It is not a side effect. These are two very different things. Do you have any other signs of an allergic reaction, such as hives/itching, swollen tongue, etc?

The big question is which came first, the breathlessness on braes or the co-codamol? Keep in mind that codeine is used to treat coughs in addition to being used for pain. If breathlessness were a side effect, i feel certain that codeine wouldn't be found in any cough syrup on either side of the Atlantic.

• Posted

Hi Margaret,

Quite a while ago I had Sciatica and was prescribed Co-Codamol by my doctor. After a couple of weeks I felt worse by the day in that I was so weak and tired and I had to call a doctor out to me. By chance, after reading the leaflet that comes with them, I found out that it shouldn't be taken if you have COPD. I think there is also a query about taking Ibuprofen. Please do talk to your doctor or indeed your pharmacist about this. I wish you well, it's all very unpleasant. My latest worry is that I feel so lethargic all the time. I'm taking one steroid a day plus Fostair 200, Spiriva Respimat and Ventolin when necessary. I'm 73 by the way. Does anyone else suffer from this please? I'd love to hear from you. Bless you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.