co codamol over using

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was wondering if anyone can help me from going crazy I use prescription 30/500 co codamol for chronic back pain "sciatica" I'll be very honest I take 3 in morning 3 after dinner then because pains worse at night I take 4 so in 24 hour period I've taken 10. I've done this constant for 3 years and feel like dying if I try to take less than that set dosage!, WILL I DIE doing this please I'd be forever greatful for some advice I'm worried sick but can not stop this.

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I am on the same 30/500 cocodamol. for sciatica too.  Also for bruising when I fall due to Meniere's disease vertigo attacks

You should only take up to 2 tablets at a time and not more than than 8 tablets in 24 hours and there must be 4 hours between doses.

Take more than that - like you said, you are taking 3 at a time - and the paracetamol can kill you.

IT KILLED MY BEST FRIEND - she only took 9 in 24 hours, she forgot what she had taken on 2 occasions 

The codeine is addictive, so you need more and more to get rid of pain.

I never went over 8 tablets in 24 hours, but it was hell getting off them as I realised that they were addictive. I gradually cut them down to zero - Yes it can be done - Yes it's hell to do, but I'd had blood tests which showed that even though I'd kept to the "rules" and not taken more than I should, my liver was showing signs of failing - I had been on them for 9 - 10 years

Sorry to be blunt, but read the leaflet inside the pack. You are doing damage to your liver, In effect you are overdosing.

Now I find that I can take them for 3 days only, then I have to stop for at least 3 days so that I don't get back to taking them all the time.

On some days I only need to take half a 8/500 tablet at a time as they work more effectively with the 3 day break.

You need to go back to your doctor and ask for help. You are an addict - you need to stop or you won't be here.

Yes, I'm in pain most nights but I'd rather be in pain (and I'm talking agony, crawling the walls pain) than not be here at all !

Sorry to be harsh, but you need to hear the truth and be shocked into doing something now before it's too late

• Posted

Your reply has answered a question I have had for a long time as to whether you can get addicted to co-codamol if you stick to no more than 2 tablets, no more than 4times per day. Obviously you can. I have been on them around15 years. So far, my liver tests have always been normal. So now I am wondering if I should stop taking them on a daily basis and start taking them on 3 days on, 3 off basis. Should I talk talk to my doctor first?
    • Posted

Hi, thanks so much for taking time all who replied, I'm so shocked by your reply hun I didn't realize I was doing so much damage I'm now thinking of telling truth to my doc!! and today, I'll be honest again I've had 3 and a half this morning at 7.30am as need to be pain free via school runs THEN I read my emails, I'm now really scared , I've now took 2 and a half out for 2pm today and I'm in pain now and getting worse hour by hour but going to make sure I stay as low dose as I can and as long time in between doses, I've not done this in years so going to be hell I think but got to be done. I'll take two for bed at 8pm, tommorow I'll do exactly how I should as stated on my prescription I really hope I can do it!, Thank you, I'm so scared but without your reply I don't think I'd have budged from this situation until as you say it's too late.
    • Posted

Just one thing more - I feel so much better now I'm not taking these all the time.

If it helps, do what I do and keep note of what you take in a diary, it's helpful to see how you are progressing.

When I started taking these, years ago there was no warning in the box, which is a bit annoying as I always read the leaflets with any drugs - most have side effects and I seem to get them lol

Take care

• Posted

I ca add any more elaine. I remember a fellow nurse who died after accidentally taking too many paracetamol. And just think what it's doing to your liver!
  • Posted

Hi Elaine, unfortunatly you are in a bit of a quandrey because you are taking CC for pain over a long period of time. I would hazard a guese that you have become addicted to them like a lot of people as I was after 3-4 years.

I dont think for a minute you would die for reducing the amount you take but there are a lot of nasty side affects usualy if you stop them completly.

The problem for you is how will you manage your pain without them, why dont you try and ween yourself of them very slowly and see how that goes.

There are a lot of people on this site with loads of help for you, come back for any help anytime.  

• Posted

i cut down over several months. Even by cutting tablets in half and by buying the lower dose 12.5 & 8 mg over the counter ones.

I'd spend a week on each reduced level before I cut them down more and more.

It's hard, some days I nearly gave in.

Ibuprofen helped or I took a soluble aspirin (don't take these two drugs at the same time)

• Posted

Hi Steve thanks so much I really needed to see this message, been in turmoil all day thinking I'm going to drop lol I'm keeping a straight happy face around family as they don't know its killing me mentality aswel as physically. Yes your right I am addicted now and the pain in legs becomes acute when I cut down but I'm trying I've taken 3 and half this morn and 2and half this afternoon I'll take 2 before bed I hope I can cope. Thanks for making me feel welcome Steve without this thread I don't know who I'd turn to..
  • Posted

Hi Elaine keep your chin up, perserver and have have as much will power as yiu can muster.You can beat CC most on this blog have with the support everyone gives you, keep atit gal good luck.
  • Posted

Elaine,

I sympathise with you, pain is most unforgiving especially at night when the rest of the world you think are fast asleep. I was taking a large dose of the 30/500 over a 24 hour period of and on for a number of years, due to a very bad injury from a horse riding fall. I found recently that my life wasnt my own anymore, but ruled by the co-codamol. I sought help from my GP and pharmacist. They are helping me gain my life bvack and we are lookingf into alternative pain relief. It has been three weeks now since I came off them, I went cold turkey!!!!!! it hasnt been pleasant at all , but I had support from members on here, especially through the night. Seek help and be strong there is light at the end of the tunnel as I have found out.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Elaine. I recommend trying to slowly coming off the cocodamol gradually. For me, it was a case of going from taking eight a day, to maybe six, four etc. But as you've been on them for so many years it's going to take a while to come off them completely. I'm at the stage now where I can take two tablets in the morning only three times a week. Still giving me a slower fix, but closer to narrowing the dose to two tablets once a week. This is what has worked for me and I'm not going to lie, It's going to be brutal coming off them. Just try and stay positive and remember why you're doing it. Plainly because these tablets will kill us if we keep taking them. I wish you luck. x
    • Posted

Thank you all for replies! I'm so greatful, I know this may not be good enough bit I've managed 3 at 9am then 3 at 2pm and 3 and a half at night around 8pm and that seems copabale at present but will try just 2 at a time its just SO hard when the pain gets bad I'm also trying to miss doses if I don't feel the pain is that strong. Thank you all xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.