Co-Codamol withdrawal OR Gastric Flu?!! *HELP

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am a 38yr old male and i have been addicted to Co-Codamol 30/500mg

(mainly dispersibles) for a few years now.  2 weeks ago i decided enough was enough and decided to wean myself (gently off them).  A week ago i began to experience flu like symptoms and was very weak, i vomited a day after and my stomach couldnt stomach the co-codamols and I therefore had to go cold turkey.  Since then i have had diarrhoea approximately every 2-3 hours, sometimes i get a few extra hours more.  Im now on day 7 co-codamol free and the diarrhoea is still happening.  I was in a&e receiving fluids via IV and they have all told me it is a severe case of gastric flu.  Obviously i havent told me wife/kids/gp that i had a co-codamol addicition so didnt say anything about that.  Please tell me i havent done myself any lasting damage and that the diarrhoea will stop.  My appetitie is still there and i feel fine between bouts.  I just get a sudden urgency to goto the toilet.  I go on holiday in 3 weeks with my family and my daughter is scared because she thinks there is something really wrong and doesnt want to go on holiday without her daddy (real daddy's girl).  If this is co-codamol withdrawal related then i know for sure it has put me off EVER taking co-codamols again.  Would appreciate any advice on what to do or how long this hell of diarrhoea will last?

Thank you

Tullmimore (Northern Ireland).

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Well from my experience of going turkey. Is the same as yours.. cold sweats insomnia and diarrhoea and stomach cramps... flu symptoms and wanting to stretch alot too. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hi, i really appreciate your reply.  Please tell me how long your diarrhoea lasted.  Im day 6
  • Posted

Day 6 oh yeah if had it well past that. It was worst in the first week went on for 2 weeks then started to firm alittle. Sorry for the mental image there. But yes after a month I wasn't back to normal properly.. it can last a long while.

• Posted

Spell check mistake in that. Should not have said if I had it!!Should say I had it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.