CO2 laser surgery experience

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone-I just got the co2 laser surgery done 2 days ago and wanted to share my experience in case anyone is wondering how it works. They removed my HS on my bikini line, a small circle in my groin, and another small area on my thigh. The actual procedure wasn't that bad pain wise, the shots before were helpful for numbing. It took about 1.5 hours. There was one short burst of pain when the laser burned me that was excruciating, but lasted only a second or 2. Recovery has been a struggle. It's hard to pee, to lay down and get up, and bandage changes took over an hour today. I can walk alright. Sleep is mediocre, and because of the meds I've only pooped once in almost 4 days. I have my follow up on Thursday, (today is Saturday) so I will update you then if you want to know how it's doing. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I have my CO2 laser surgery on 12/04 at the Cleveland Clinic. My HS is about the size of a quarter on my butt.

Thanxs for sharing and keeping us up to date.  Any special bandaging?

• Posted

You're lucky yours is so small, and at the best facility in the country! They have me putting Vaseline, then Vaseline gauze, then telfa bandages on my wounds and then covering with guaze and tape. I'm having such a hard time finding a good tape though that will stick to odd areas. Best of luck

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience. I had surgery under both armpits 2 weeks ago and the pain was horrific the first week and half because of infection. It's way better now. I'm trying to move my arms more everyday but it's hard and it hurts a little. I had to stop taking my pain medicine in order for me to "do #2".  My stitches did busted  open due to the infection. But my doctor hasn't said anything about doing skin grafts. I pray he don't.  Stay positive. My husband is wonderful when it comes to helping me in any way and he stays positive for me. Praying for a speedy recovery for you. Keep me updated. 

• Posted

Ugh I'm sorry you had to deal with such a bad infection!! Hoping it gets easier for you everyday. Thanks for your support 

• Posted

Hi Paige, wishing you a speedy recovery! Can’t wait to hear your update. This is such a terrible disease, I’m sick of it myself.  I hope this procedure works for you!
    • Posted

Thanks Lisa for your well wishes! I am doing great! The first week was rough but I have improved exponentially since then! My wounds are half the size they were.
    • Posted

Great! I think I will ask my dermatologist about this procedure  at my appointment. 
    • Posted

Dont be surprised if your Dermo does not know anyone who does this procedure. It is relatively new for HS treatment. I live near University of Pennsylvania hospital. A very large teaching hospital with impeccable care, They do not offer CO2 laser for HS. I had to go to The Cleveland Clinic in Ohio. You might have to do some research to find a practice that does the CO2. Good luck!! 
    • Posted

I was reading through threads on surgery and Ohio caught my eye. I also live in Ohio, but haven’t sought out anything yet because I don’t know what’s available for hs. You said you went to the Cleveland clinic, so they offer treatment options? How were you treated (as a patient, not the surgery)? Thanks
  • Posted

How have you been doing? Are you healing ok? Pain lessen quickly? I have a small lesion on my butt I get removed by CO 2 in 11 days. Any info you can pass on from your experience I would appreciate especially concerning wound dressing, etc. would be appreciated!
    • Posted

Hi Harry! THanks for checking. I am doing great! I have total range of motion and pain was nearly completely gone after the 2nd week, only took the pain meds for about 10 days. Tegaderm is going to be the absolute best tape for you, but it's super expensive, so see if you can snap some at your doctor's office, usually they'll give you some. Also I love 3M's medipore  because it's soft and moves with you. Also a little steeper in price, but not as bad as tegaderm. Available on Amazon in 2 perforated rolls for like 9 bucks. I am making a YouTube channel where I'm going to talk about HS and my favorite tapes and their pros and cons, so I'll let you know when that's out so you can get more ideas! You'll do great don't worry. 

• Posted

You can now get these dressings and there are a multitude of other available. I have seen a collagen pad used and it provides soothing relief and comes in large sizes too! You can use an 8x8 pad and wrap the groin and armpit area easily. I can help you find a supplier in your area. They will even work with your insurance and possibly no cost for you to get what you need. 
  • Posted

Glad you are doing well Paige. Really appreciate the tips on the bandages. Lets us know when you have that video done. Regards!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.