Coated Yellowy Carpet Tongue

Posted , 4 users are following.

When I first became ill I had a bit of a yellow coating on my tongue which had been there for years. Then about a week ago when I took some antibiotics it totally went away but only for about 24 hours, it is now back and worse than before. Of course the doctor does not see that there is a connection to the tongue and other things but it cannot be cooincidence that it comes and goes in tune with the other things.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Suggest urgent tests for pancreas disorders be undertaken.  
    • Posted

Thanks Meunier but apart from a stomach disorder I have no other symptoms and if it was the pancreas then when I take antibiotics for a while the tongue would not go away and then come back a few days later.
  • Posted

Merely a suggestion - You know best in terms of your requests with your medical professionals.  I only responded because you asked.  All best wishes.  
    • Posted

I did appreciate your comment. I was really wanting people to tell me about their own coated tongue experiences rather than try to diagnose. I research things a lot and ask doctors for a diagnosis.
  • Posted

Hi Carmel. I'm having a terrible flare of reflux at the moment and my tongue has gone yellow again. It used to be before I started the ppis, so maybe a connection there? X
    • Posted

Hi Stella. Yes I had a bit of a yellow tongue and it was a bit furry before. Then I had the antibiotics and for one day the tongue was totally pink and unfurry and fine. Then it went bac\k to carpety and furry and yellow but more than before. Never been this furry and yellow before.

Must be something to do with the gut flora. Am waiting to go to consultant in hospital to find out exact diagnosis for my problems - very nervous.

• Posted

I have read that antibiotics can cause yeast infections. I'm sure it's antibiotics that have made my reflux worse now. It will be interesting to see what your doc says x
    • Posted

Ps Carmel, easy for me to say, but try not to worry too much. When's your appointment? X
    • Posted

Hi Stella. I am in the UK and it is at 1.30 Monday.

The thing about yeast infections is that they are caused by the bad bacteria taking over from the good. So when you take antibiotics it is possible they kill off too many of the good bacteria and the bad swarm and take over. With me when I had antib iotics I felt better and when I had the probiotics I felt worse.

• Posted

That's odd... I hope you find some answers. There must be some tests they can do. Glad to hear your appointment is less than a week away. Don't let them fob you off! I'm in the UK too and sometimes the NHS isn't our best friend :-/ 
    • Posted

Thank you Stella. I know what you mean about the nhs. I have had a lot of dealinngs with them as a patient and professionally. They will diagnose the problem and then I will decide how to take it from there.
    • Posted

I think you have to be proactive. That's something I've learned the hard way over the past few months x 
    • Posted

Yes you are right Stella, but I am very proactive.

It was me that pointed out to the doctor that the original diagnosis she made was probably wrong. And that the symptoms she was listing were mostly caused by my medication rather than actual symptoms. This was proved to be right when I stopped taking that medication and those symptoms went. From my own experiences and from other people I ha\ve heard about in the past I know that if you just leave things to the doctor they often make mistakes or let things drag on far too long. How are you today?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.