Cocaine usage and heart health

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I was wondering (for my own sanity)... does cocaine use damage the heart if its a one off? Is it repairable, as in does the heart repair itself? and If so how long does it take?

I'm super paranoid about my heart health, I;m convinced somehting could be wrong but doctors tell me otherwise, what tests can I ask them to do on me?

It would really put my mind at ease but I don't know what to ask them to do, my blood pressure and heart rate are perfect apparently, and my chest sounds fine...

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Actually, Yes cocaine use can actually give you a condition called Prinzmetal Angina, which is spasms of the coronary arteries, they call this unstable angina and it can be very painful, As for damaging the rest of your heart I have heard and read lots about movie stars and sports people dying from heart attacks due to their habit, I can't comment on whether it really does or not but going on news stories it appears it does, I haven't actually read any research papers on cocaine use and heart disease / failure, One would have to assume it's bad for your heart  because it's not the natural thing to do is it.

• Posted

But would a one off use of coke do this? Litterally had it once, and could it heal itself?
    • Posted

If you only used it once, you did not damage your heart, dear Beth...no way. In my younger days, I used it about ten times...no heart problems. I have a few friends that actually used for a few years...no heart problems with any of them. Years later, they are fine.

It sounds like you are dealing with anxiety. Ask your doctor about that, Honey. Anxiety can be handled and you will feel so much better knowing what yo are dealing with.

The people on this forum are all familiar with what you are experiencing, and are a caring, compassionate, lovely group of people.

Your doctor has told you your heart is fine. Trust me when I tell you they do not take heart problems lightly. They would not clear you if they were not sure. Fear of heart problems is the most common fear of people with anxiety.

I'm sure you will hear from others who will encourage you, Beth. Hugs

• Posted

No ...I doubt it, I was just making reference to long time users.....sorry
  • Posted

Definitly anxiety there's no way you could damage your heart from one use..... But wait I'm so curious how do u guys have the guts to try it? Like idk how anyone can try any hard drugs! I would be so scared to like over dose

• Posted

The american heart association labels Cocaine the "perfect heart attack drug".  However unless it was some insane one off binge you went on, it is unlikely just one off use can cause irreparable damage to your heart.

• Posted

it was probably about 1/3 of a gram or less so woudn't say it was a binge! thanks smile

• Posted

hi honey - one-off use won't cause any damage.

The heart doesn't repair itself in the way other organs can, so don't take coke again!

I think you are worrying about this and are feeling anxious that your doctor has missed something. If you've had your chest listened to, your heart should be fine. it's also good that your pulse and BP are normal.

The only other test you could ask for is an ECG (EKG) but honestly I don't think you need one. your doctor would have ordered one or got his nurse to do one if s/he was worried.

I took coke ONCE about twenty years ago.

I confess I was more worried about getting addicted to it than damaging my heart. Anyway, as things have turned out, i didn't damage my heart, nor did I get addicted to coke.

I hope these replies have helped you to calm down, Beth. If not please tell us how you're doing. xxxx

• Posted

yes i definately won't be doing! Might ask for an ecg just to be sure, and yes it really has calmed me thank you so much smile xxxx

• Posted

As long as this drug has not been taken over a long period and especially if it was only once you should be ok

Cocaine is used in medicine, and if it was given as a medicine do not worry

The problem of taking this drug frequently may cause problems especially i it has been tainted

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.