Cochlear Hydrops - What Worked For Me

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was diagnosed with cochlear hydrops back in 2009 at the age of 60. I had the typical on and off symptoms in my right ear of fullness, loss of low frequencies with distortion and some tinitus. My ENT put me on a low sodium diet and had me take prednisone as soon as I noticed an event beginning. This went on for a few years until eventually the low frequency loss and distortion did not clear up two months after the start of symptoms. This was especially problematic for me since I have been deaf in my left ear since I was 18 and a total loss of hearing in my right ear would leave me deaf. At that point my ENT said there nothing more he could do and wished me good luck. One thing that I had mentioned to him was that the symptoms always began early in the morning and would appear to get better during the day. He blew this off as it made no sense to him. Out of desperation I reviewed my blood pressure medications and noticed that every morning I took 12.5 mg of HCTZ, a water pill. I sent an email to the ENT and asked if it were possible that if I took a second pill in the evening, my symtoms would not appear the next morning. He said I could try it. It worked. It is now 2021 and I have been symptom free for 9 years. It appears that the HCTZ taken twice a day helped even out the changes in liquid in the cochlear. By the way, I stopped the salt reduction diet about 8 years ago and put back the 10 lbs that I lost on the low sodium diet. I'm 6ft 4in and now 185 lbs. Age is now 72.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Dear Ron,

I am so happy that this treatment worked for you. Congratulations!

I am surprised that your ENT never prescribed you a diuretic. As far as I know, is the first treatment for this condition!

I would like to make you a question, if this doesn't bother you. Your hear fullness is something constant? Has it dissapeared between "attacks" or has a different behaviour?

• Posted

Just to clarify, my ENT didn't have to prescribe a diuretic since I was already on one for high blood pressure. I simply began taking a second pill at nightime and my symptoms cleared up and never returned. The fullness in my ear only appeared during an attack. It now has never returned since I have added the second pill.

• Posted

thanks a lot for your answer.

I am glad that you feel better!

regards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.