Cocked Toe (pics added)

Posted , 11 users are following.

Good Morning everyone.

I had a Scarf Oseteomy 7 weeks ago. Obviously my foot is still swollen which I have begun to expect after reading on this forum since my operation. However I am very concerned about my big toe which appears to be in a cocked postion. I visited my GP on Monday and she dismissed bunion surgery saying it is only sucessful at removing the bunion but creats a whole host of other problems. This didn't give me much comfort. I showed her my toe and she shrugged and said it will pobably stay like that! I was mortified. I explained to her that I am tending to walk on the outer edge of my foot. She told me not to and to walk on the ball of my foot and big toe. Which I can't do as my toe wont touch the blooming floor. She said I will cause myself more problems walking on the outer edge. I know that, I'm not stupid. The big toe is the balanc for the foot is it not, so if it doesn't touch the floor how am I supposed to walk on it! Has anyone else encountered this and if so what has been the outcome. My GP referred me for Physio but only after my insistance. My consultant discharged me after my 4 week check up. I did mention the cocked toe to him at the time but he said it was early days yet. Should I also ask to be referred back to him. Any advice greatly appreciated. smile 

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm in exactly the same position. Six weeks post op, my cast was removed last Friday and my big toe doesn't touch the floor either and I'm walking on the side. I have an appointment at the hospital but in March and can't get a Gp appointment until 8 December. I'd like to hear other peoples experiences too.
  • Posted

Hi, I will be 6 weeks post op on Tuesday. I had akin osteotomy so perhaps slightly different. I was worried about my big toe being high up especially when heel walking. However I was given toe exercises to do from the second week which means I can now move my toe and its alignment has gone back to normal. Can you move your toe? I'm surprised you were discharged at 4 weeks! I have appointments at 2 weeks, 6 weeks (for X-ray as well) and 3 months.

The exercises I was given were to rest my foot on my other knee and gently bent the big toe with your hand 10 times. Then with your foot on / near the floor try and close and open your toes, again 10 times, then try and pick up a flannel 10 times. I was told to do these exercises 3 times a day. Initially I was hopeless and my toe was shaking, but now I can do it easily. 

I think it's good you insisted on seeing a physio as you do not want there to be problems with your walk / gait. I hope they can see you soon and put your mind at ease. I honestly think if you're given some exercises the toe will settle down. 

Good luck! 

• Posted

Hi Beanie. I'm exactly 7 weeks and had pin removed from second toe yesterday evening. I didn't realise until my consultant mentioned it that referral to physio is not automatic (although it is something my consultant does, thankfully). Good that you insisted. Big toe and second toe are very stiff but apparently they'll gain flexibility really quickly. Not sure about yourGP's conviction that the op only creates more problems. From what I've read on this forum, a few people have problems but it looks like the majority don't in the long run. Hope she has not got you worryingunnecessarily.
  • Posted

Hi. I am 6 weeks post op having had both done. I think I it's still early days for us I am confident our toes will calm down. Remember how long our toes were deformed for and let's not lose sight of the fact that probably our muscles and tendons were all tampered with too. My gp was less than supportive, expecting me back full time work after 4 weeks so like you I really don't want to have to see here if I can help it. We have to be patient. We all have different healing times so don't be hard on yourslelf. Good luck xx
  • Posted

I had my other foot done 7 years ago and my toe is like that. No problems walking. I was told I needed to do more wiggling of the toe at the time
  • Posted

I'm 7 weeks post op both feet bunionecotomy plus

metatarsal work...casts removed last Saturday and

both of my big toes are cocked as we've had our feet

bound up in some way or other, mine had been quite

tightly done and I could see they were pointing inwardswhilst they were in the casts, I expect it will take

sometime for them to sort themselves out. Your feet

have taken a bit of a battering and although, like other bunionettes, you're probably feeling thoroughly fed up and wanting to get back to normal feet aren't singing

from the same hymn sheet just yet.

• Posted

I have also got a toe which is sticking up a bit. I discussed this at 6 week review with consultant when I could stop wearing the special post op footwear. He said that he felt that it would settle with walking and physio. He referred me for physio and made a further appointment to see him in January by which time he felt it would have settled. Unfortunately, there is a waiting list of  approx 6 weeks for physio in my area and I was worried that the linger that the toe was in that position, the more likely that it was that it would stay there. So, I decided to pay for physio. I went to my local Spire hospital as they did bunion ops there and I thought that they would have experience of physio with post bunion surgery. I got an appointment for the day after. It cost me just over £40 for a half hour session and the physio thought that I wouldn't need another session but to contact them again in a month if I did. The exercises are very similar to those described by Bex. I have been doing them for 5 days and I can already see an improvement although it is still a bit raised.  So, I think that this has been well worth it. Doing the exercises, should definitely help and should improve walking and gait which is still not right but improving. I am trying to be aware when I am walking to put down heel first and to bend my foot . Sure that eventually it will become second nature. The main reason that I had the op was because the bunions were causing me to walk really badly and this was causing problems with my knee, hip and back. So definitely keen for this to work. Good luck with getting physio and getting improvement with the toe
    • Posted

Hi

you are the first person I've read that had problems with knee, hip and back  - which is my problem and which hospital eventually put down to bunions causing walking problems - took year to get to this point

am in 3rd week post op and starting to have back problems due to inactivity (foot up) uneven walking indoors without crutches due to boot

- any advice?

had stitches out at 10 days , next appointment Jan 19. I asked about physio but was told not usual - waited 8 weeks for physio earlier in year due to waiting lists

• Posted

I've found it really difficult walking with the boot and got a pair of shape up trainers which have a really thick sole which is helping a lot. Someone said to wear a shoe with heel on the other foot but I haven't been able to wear a heel for years and don't possess any!
    • Posted

Sorry that you are having problems with your back. Unfortunately, no real advice I'm afraid. I found that I had back ache but definitely found it easier to use one crutch rather than 2. This meant that I walked more upright . I used a folding walking stick indoors which helped to support my back. Vastly improved once boots came off and could walk a bit better. Still getting some back pain cos still not walking correctly but improving. Good luck
    • Posted

Thanks for advice - tried out and has made a difference

am also going to phone GP and ask to be put on physio waiting list - used to be 8 weeks waiting list so may get on a few weeks after boot off ! To straighten me up

must move a bit or back will stiffen up

many thanks

• Posted

First GP appointment, asked for telephone consultations as just wanted to get on wait list for physio, is Dec 17!

have found a higher heeled shoe to put on good foot

and am using 1 crutch 

made a huge difference 

• Posted

I had MIS over a year ago then last December as osteophytes being removed on other foot for arthritis, surgeon decided to take bit more away from the ex-bunion site. At the time the bunion toe was turning upwards from the second joint but the rest of the toe did touch ground.  I was told to bend hard down on the main joint as much as possible and the toe should eventually go completely down.  I do though walk 'properly' which is good.  It will take time apparently,but eventually should go down. Hope this makes sense! Should also add stupidly tore toenail half off which didn't help as stopped the exercises until pain went hence the delay in toe going back down!

Keep exercising and like us all be patient - those tendons take their time! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.