Cocodamol and cervical spondylosis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Was diagnosed with cervical spondylosis 2 months ago and prescribed tramadol and amittryptallne but found the tramadol did not help the pain so was changed to cocodamol 30/500 which definitely helped.  Have now been told that I cannot get more cocodamol as they are addictive. At the age of 72 am not really worried about that but have been offered no alternative. Was taking 4/6 cocodamol per day. Can anyone recommend an alternative. 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Max. If you read other posts re co codamol you'll see how different GP's are regarding the prescribing of these tablets. Many GP's don't seem too concerned about the risk of addiction (mine included). They are an effective analgesic as you have found so I think he is very unfair stopping your prescription. They are also an inexpensive form of treatment. GP's are there to ensure patients are kept well and able to live a normal day to day life. I find there's no other effective drug and agree with you regarding Tramadol as well. Cervical Spondylosis is very painful so I would try and see another GP in the practice and see if he/she will prescribe them for you. Failing that ask for a referral to the pain clinic at your local hospital and in the mean time see if they will prescribe co codamol until you are seen. If the clinic recommended cocodamol your GP would be on a very sticky wicket not going along with them. Hope that helps
    • Posted

Thanks, will do as you reccomend and try and see a different doctor at the practice. Am suffering quite severe pain at present. So am buying th lower dose cocodamol from the chemist but not much help.
    • Posted

Hello again Max. The lower dose co codamol will be of no use. Good luck at the doctors and remember if you want a referral the GP has no right to refuse. Not many people realise they are entitled to a 2nd opinion on the NHS. Let us know how you get on. Good luck
  • Posted

Max,

I am 68 and suffering the same as you,my doctor said they can become addictive but as they have made my pain bearable has continued to prescribe them,there was a seditive mentioned but as I also have suffer from angina I was not prescribed that.

As "Matron" suggests,try to see another Doctor at the practice,good luck and I hope you get pain relief.

• Posted

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply to my post. Without wishing to be too personal what sort of usage do you find sufficient I only ask because my doctor has now given me 56 to last a month and I do not find that is enough. I don't think the doctors realise just how painful this condition can be. 

Hope your managing ok.

• Posted

Max,

I have 100 per month,I try not take them until absolutely necessary,as constipation is a bugbear.The thing I find is that if I am busy doing something it tends to take my mind off the pain,driving is bad as looking to the left is especially painful and some bad tempered drivers in cars behind toot their horn when I take longer than normal,I wish my neck on them every time.

I am sure doctors don't realise how painful the condition is,I asked my doctor about the big collars people used to wear and he said the way now was to keep the muscles in the neck supple by gentle movement,I wish he could sample a bit of neck pain.When I first started with it I had phisio on it but I called a halt to that as it was doing me no use at all and each session was akin to torture.

Last year I saw an article in a newspaper about injections into the discs,which caused them to swell and expand to their normal size,however I can't remember which newspaper.

Still,at least its not life threatening.

• Posted

Thanks for replying, I too have the difficulty driving and get my wife to give me the "clear left".

Still as you say its not life threatening, just a bloody pain in the neck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.