Coconut Oil instead of eyedrops

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I've read a lot of good things about putting coconut oil in your eyes to prevent them from being dry. You should do this instead of the eyedrops.

My question:

How do I apply it into my eyes?

I am kinda scared of doing it the wrong way.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Dont just use any sort of coconut oil...make sure it is pure virgin oil.  other types may have perfume in especially if its designed for the skin and this will irritate your eyes.

Test on the skin just under your eye at first to make sure you dont react. If you have no reaction after 24 hours,then go on to the next test.

Pull down your lower lid and just put ONE drop in ONLY ONE EYE and then close your eye.    WAIT 24 hours to see if there is any irritation. If its OK,then try both eyes and at night,just before you sleep.

Any irritation,stop using immediately and wash your face and eyes under a shower spray. 

• Posted

Hello Marina,

Thanks for your response.

My coconut oil is pure virgin coconut oil so that's no problem!

You are telling me to put ONE drop in my eye.

My coconut oil is not liquid, it is solid and it will melt you know?

Can I put down my lower lid and put in the size of a pea? Since it's solid, I can't really count in drops?

I am looking forward to your reply!

• Posted

Hi Hicy,

You would put it on the outer corners of your eyes and let it seep in.  In about 10 minutes it will naturally seep into your eyes.  I have done this with organic olive oil for dry eyes and it works great.....I think coconut oil would be great too.  I have also cured my dry eyes just by taking one teaspoon of walnut oil or olive oil straight before bed....and another teaspoon in the morning....make sure I drink my eight cups of water per day....and no more dry eyes.  

Hope this helps....Dawn

• Posted

Hello Dawn, which corner of my eye is the outer corner? Sorry, maybe a stupid question but I honestly don't know. Is it the corner close to my nose?

• Posted

Hi Hicy,

The outer corner is not close to your eyes.....it is closer to your temples.....closer to your ears side......hope this helps.....good question.....not stupid.....smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.