Coconut Water for POTS?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My doctor just told me I should try coconut water for POTS. POTS causes symptoms like rapid heartbeat and low blood pressure. So my husband bought the coconut water and when I tried it, I noticed it tasted very sweet. I looked at the ingredients and it has 15 grams of sugar! No woner I feel buzzed right now. Not good. Sugar is not a good thing for people with ME/CFS.  I'll see if there's any of this water with no sugar. Have any of you tried coconut water? Have you found any without sugar?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I take coconut oild capsules... but... i wonder if your doc is trying to get you into isotonic drinks? worth asking them why they want you on coconut water.... i am curious too....
    • Posted

The idea is to increase blood volume to treat POTS. This can also be done through drinks like Gatorade.
    • Posted

Aha, thought so (not the blood volume bit, that is interesting but..) if you want to save yourself a fortune and get a sugar freeer drink try this - your favourite fruit juice or Pineapple juice (anti inflammatory properties) 250ml, 750ml water and a pinch of sea salt (emphasis on pinch) if you wanted too or your doc advises it you can also crush in half a multi vit tablet and half a mineral tablet but the latter shouldnt be needed if you use sea salt (or rock salt - same thing but millions of years old)  Discuss with your doc but... as a coach its what i tell my athletes to do otherwise it loads of £'s on isotonic drinks. Coconut water is very close to being isotonic and does taste very nice!! Ilike the new ranges of drinks by del...somtthing - no advertising here... and they have a wide variety of fruit in one carton... there are some brands famous for having fruit and veg.... the low sugar or no added sugar coconut water brands i have found to be nice but als omuch more expensive and a high stree health food chain hb do a very good one... hope this helps as an althernative source or indeed part of a mix...
    • Posted

Thanks for your info. I've been looking at labels on all kinds of drinks, and the amount of sugar in them is usually pretty high. Here in the U.S., sugar is the only item that doesn't have to be listed as a percentage. So you might see 15 grams of sugar, but not that the sugar is 98% of the daily allowance. People don't realize they're consuming all this sugar, so we have an epidemic of obesity here, along with diseases like type II diabetes. Anyhow, I'm thinking the best solution for a POTS drink might be what Dr. Paul Cheney (an ME/CFS expert) recommends. Put 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. no-salt (potassium chloride) into 1 cup of water and drink. 
    • Posted

fair enough but yeuch, make it a large cup!; does seem a lot of salt though?

but you are right about the sugar!!!! not a good idea i wish they would standardise this properly for all of us! Let us (me) know how this works please

• Posted

Whoops. Got the recipe wrong. It's 1/8 tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp no salt in 8 oz of water.
    • Posted

phew that reads better, i was getting worried about the pinch in a litre then...... personally i think a pinch of sea or rock salt would be better but that is my personal view... good luck with all!!!!!
  • Posted

You poor thing having POTS and Cfs/Me! It must be hard to separate out the symptoms. I really really feel for you Jackie. X 
    • Posted

Thanks Chrissy. Actually, POTS is a very common symptom with this illness. Not fun, but just part of the wonderful world of ME/CFS.
  • Posted

I'm also curious because I've been drinking it, I love it and it doesn't seem to make my Candida worse. The ingredient list is so small and I'd already looked at the ingredients when I first started buying it but I just double checked.

I had to find my magnifyig glass and the it was in German so I had to use google translate. Says fruit sugars and coconuts can be termed as fruit or nuts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.