Codeine addiction.

Posted , 16 users are following.

I was diagnosed with nerve root compression of my lumbar spine by MRI in 2006. The Dr prescribed me co/codomol 30/500. And I am still taking them to this day. About 2 years ago I learned that I couldn't function without them. They don't stop my pain anymore so I started taking over the counter Ibuprofen and codeine 12.8/200mg. This has gradually crept up to 24 tablets a day. So with the 8 co codomol I take I'm taking 547mg of codeine a day! It's my dirty little secret.  I can't function without that daily dose. And the first thing I do on waking is to swallow two co codomol and 4ibuprofen and codeine! I am so ashamed of my secret. Nobody else knows. I just can't tell anyone. If I don't take my full dose of daily codeine throughout the day, I get terrible withdrawal symptoms. I'm nervous/anxious/have cold sweats and terrible cramps and get panic attacks. Anyone else in a similar situation? Please get in touch. 

1 like, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi All,

Just to let you know.

I've been free of cocodamol tablets for over a year.

When I'm in pain, it is hell & I've nearly succumbed to going back on them.

I never went over the maximum dose (8 tablets in 24 hours) but because I took them for years,

I HAVE done damage to my system, which cannot be reversed.

So

Please,

if you are still taking these, especially if you are taking more than you should, please stop, please get help - I had to ask my surgery several times before they took me seriously.

It could save your life !

xXx to all

• Posted

I completely understand where you're coming from. I'm Australian and over here you don't need a prescription  to buy it. No more than 40 tablets at a time and you Just have to show ID. I first started using it around 6 or 7 years ago to stop smoking weed. Only at night or days though or when I'm at home or alone...but can average any where from 5-15-20 night strength tablets a day depending on the situation. with the occasional and rare day here and there off it. I get it in mercyndol form (drug name, not sure if you're familiar)  which is also a muscle relaxer and calmative so three opiate like substances in one. Find I can't sleep or relax at home without it. My husband thinks I use them for period pain....(which they work wonders for) but isn't aware I abuse on a daily basis. When you have an addictive personality it's really hard to quit! Anyone got good pointers? I've even started using it with Valium. And like I'm sure a lot of you are I feel to ashamed and embarrassed to admit it to close family and friends. Even found it's made me a recluse and introvert. But it's the only way I get any relaxing feelings. Advice? And if you've used longer than me has your health decreased at all? ???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.