Codeine addiction how can I quit

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi anyone got any advice on coming off codeine?! I really need to do this its ruining my life! X

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dash,

First of all you should be commended on your choice to quite. It's a hard thing to come to terms with and takes a tremendous amount of courage (even if you don't feel like it)

In regards to quitting, each individual is different and there are a number of varying factors that contribute to the withdrawal process.

Its all about knowing your limitations. I personally went cold turkey because I couldn't trust myself to taper down as any time I would feel like rubbish or couldn't sleep I'd up the dose. However many people do succeed with a taper down method.

Do you mind me asking what you're taking and at what dose?

• Posted

Thanks for the reply nikki.

I'm taking codeine phosphate 30mg my doc knows about my problem and gives me a daily prescription for 7 tabs. Had to be daily or I end up taking more and then running out!!

I have also been buying them off the internet an online pharmacy ?? It's costing me a fortune and making money problems.

When I was getting them online aswell I'd take upto ten tablets three times a day!

I have ran out of my online supply now and I sent them an email telling them not to allow me to buy more as I have an addiction. So that's that cut off!! So I'm stuck with my 7 a day which I take all at once! I really don't think I could do cold turkey as I've tried before and only managed to get to day 2! I'm thinking I need to make app with doc and each week drop by one tab and just do it!! I originally started off on solpadene and nurofen plus but was taking 7 of each 3 times a day! Not good!! That's when I went to doc as was making me so ill I've had liver test and luckily it was ok . Hope you understand all that xx

• Posted

Sorry nikki and I forgot to say well done for coming off them!!?????? What was you on? Are you ok now as in does it bother you?? How long you been off them? And also did you find you lost weight coming off them, I swear it's because of taking codeine I've put on weight!?? Xx

• Posted

Thanks hun smile I appreciate that.

I was taking neurofen plus a pack a day (30) all in one go. At my lowest point I was taking 2 packs a day. I was on them for 9 years and ended up in hospital twice on the brink of death weighing 35kg's (I'm 164cm tall). My doctors had no idea how my body was still functioning.

I've been off them for about 8 months now and thankfully my body healed itself and I'm not left with any permanent physical complications. The psychological effects I'm still carrying with me though.

Cold turkey is really rough. See if your doctor can prescribe you "Lyrica" or "Gabbapentin". Both work amazingly in regards to insomnia, restless legs and anxiety. I probably wouldn't have made it through without the lyrica it made the withdrawal symptoms bareable and I finally got to sleep!

And yes unfortunately I did gain weight after quitting them ?? but I just went with it because I knew my body was recovering. My weight has gone back to normal now though so it's not neceserilly permanent.

My biggest piece of advice (besides lyrica) would deffinately be to have at least one person to support you through it. I would probably still be taking them if it weren't for my partner. Because of him I gave them up.

This site is very helpful too. People that haven't ever struggled with this addiction will never fully comprehend what it feels like. They don't understand the hold it has on you. But everyone on here has lived it so it's heaps helpful.

Keep your chin up hun! You CAN do it I have faith smile

• Posted

Thanks for sharing that nikki, you have done amazing!! I haven't really got anyone that I can talk to or help but I will manage it somehow!! Yes I mite mention getting something from docs to help me .......... I have to get it straight in my head what rout I'm going down first???? I've been wishing I could get in hospital for a week (sad I know) but feel like there it would help and I would be safe but then I think if I did then what about when I come bk out!!? The tabs don't even giv me that feeling anymore so why do I do it?! Arrrggggghhhhhh!!!! I'm so happy for you and you got to be so proud that you have done it! Tomorrow I will make appointment with doc and discuss where to go from here. ?? Xxx

• Posted

Well if you ever need someone to talk to or advice don't hesitate. I'm here if you need a shoulder for support.

The hospital is very helpful until, like you said, u get out and ur on ur own (relatively speaking).

I can't testify to the taper method as I've never done it but going cold turkey, the worst is over within seven days. I pushed through five days of agony and not a minute of sleep before I went to the GP and got prescribed Lyrica. Had I had it sooner it would have been so much more tolerable. I tried and tested so many different options to get rid of my restless legs and to sleep, Valerian, passionflower, magnesium tablets and drinks, alcohol, weed and so many more before I actually considered knocking myself out with a sledge hammer just to get some sleep. That's when I went to the doctor lol.

I hardly ever used to get the high when I took them, I continued to take them purely to keep the nasty withdrawals away. Codeine changes the chemical makeup in your brain. You'll always need more to feel functional.

It sounds like you have a good doctor which is awesome. My advice would be to be weary of sleeping pills and stuff like Valium as they can be highly addictive and in many cases much worse to come off than opiates.

You're doing a great thing. I promise you you will be so much better off without pills controlling you.

Good luck and let me know how you go! smile

• Posted

Thanks nikki it sounds like you really went through hell!!! I need sumone understanding that will help me and also be firm with me but it's something I gotta do on my own I'm sure I will one day?! I can get in with my doctor next week so goin to go and see if we can come up with a plan to do it! Xx

• Posted

Hey Dash,

I'm in the same damn boat!!!

It's doing my head in too!!!!

• Posted

Hi jojo thanks for the reply what r u taking? Have you tried to come off before? Xx
    • Posted

Hey dash, lots of times. But it's so easy to go get em again. I hate them.

6 yrs non stop.

• Posted

It's so hard jojo I'm just scared because I don't know how to feel normal anymore!? And I think I'd be bored without taking them........ Sad I know!!! I took too much of my codeine phosphate so today am on solpadene and nurofen plus again!! Because I couldn't face waiting till tomorrow when I get my prescription again! And because they aren't as strong they done absolutely nothing for me!! We got to sort ourselves out sometime!! Surely this can't be life?! Xx

• Posted

Right I've decided I'm booked in to see doc tmora where I'm going to give her back my daily scripts for sat and Sunday's codeine! And tell her not to do me any for next week!! So Friday will be my last day!!! It's goin to be tough but I think I'm ready! Booked some time off work aswell next week. .........I mite ask doc for 3 days worth of Valium just to help me through day 2,3 and 4 . Any advice?? 😊😖x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.