Codeine addiction (Nurofen Plus)

Posted , 73 users are following.

Hey, so I'm addicted to codeine, I usually take 32 Nurofen Plus tabs every day at midday (in 1 go). This has been going on for a year but I started doing codeine in June 2011 after I had my wisdom tooth removed. Every day I tell myself this will be the last day I take them but of course this is never the case. My tolerance is so high now I don't even really get any effect from it. Sometimes I take up to 64 tabs in a day. Some days I get a buzz, others hardly anything. Anyone on here in the same position as me who would fancy trying to stop with me? Moral support & all that?!

9 likes, 488 replies

488 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was on 64+ a day of Nurofen plus! I wentto my doctor who would only allow me 180mg a day!... It was torture but I stuck to it! I'm down to 90mg a day and some days its hard.

You will NEVER get that first buzz back!

Ask your doctor to put you on codeine phosphate.

• Posted

OMG 180mg is nothing! Did you top up at first??! My doctor wouldn't help so I've since referred myself to a drug addiction clinic and I've asked them for CP & to taper down but the whole process is so slow I thought I'd try again on my own. Yeah I know you never get that first hit back, always chasing! I haven't taken any today and don't crave it at the mo as I've felt nothing after taking it the last 4 days so thinking what is the point.. So hoping this is maybe my chance to break away (fingers crossed!)
    • Posted

That's great you haven't had any 😊.I did top up at first but the husband threatened divorce if I care on and that he would take the kids so they were my incentive ❤ its the achey legs and the horrible restlessness that makes me relapse! You are doing amazing keep it up you WILLbeat it! 😊
    • Posted

Hi Katz, me too, though whilst trying codeine phosphate only prescribed by the Dr (United Kingdom), the max he said they legally could give me was 180mg too, and then I was on 32 N+.

I've since joined a subutex program which I swear by, though only sought this when I went a week on 64N+ per day.

They work extremely well - I began on 6mg gradually reducing by 400 microgrammes every two weeks, and currently on 2mg subutex (buprenorphine) per day.

But you never get any buzz with codeine phosphate, even if you take large quantities in one go - so what else do they stick into N+ apart from ibruprofen and 12.8mg codeine phosphate? Let me know your thoughts,

Rich

• Posted

hi nikki. nice to meet you. i have had the same problem for 3 years. it started when i found by taking 14  30mg codeine i get on prescription for my herniated disc was giving me a ` buzz`. a real warm feeling and makes me happy. as it was,i run out of my prescription in under 1 week. they are supposed to last me a month.I started to buy the next best thing which is nurofen plus. it started by buying a 32 pack a couple of times a week. nowadays its now every day i go to different pharmacies, sometimes twice a day. i panic when i dont have them. how are you now? have you managed to stop buying them? 
  • Posted

Hi Nicky.

It exteemly hard. It an addiction, and has come part of daily life. I went to my gp last week and she has put me on antidepressant for the anxiety It hard, but I had to do something. You can do it, you have already that there is something the matter. Good luck xx

• Posted

Hi Nikki

I was in a similar situation only I took cocodomol 30/500 with three nurofen plus at each dose (usually every 3-4 hours!) I couldn't see a way to stop. Last Wednesday I chanced it with my Dr and asked for codeine phosphate 30mg. He said are the paracetamol not helping? I said no and I get the same level of pain control from codeine phosphate. So he changed my prescription. Since I have been on the codeine (and I only take 6-8 a day) I've cut out the nurofen plus. The only thing is I can only sleep for a few hours a night as I get terrible night sweats! The bed clothes get soaked.

May I ask you if you take lanzoprazole or omeprazole to protect your stomach?

Just hope you can get help soon and get off these tablets.

I'm just going to stick with my codeine tablets as I have a chronic spine condition and I wouldn't be able to walk without them.

Best of luck

Latchy

• Posted

Hi, I'm up early too as my legs are aching since I haven't taken any codeine for 42 hours. No I don't take anything to protect my stomach, very silly I know. My partner gets the same co codemol 30/500's as you used to, that's how I first experienced codeine. He gave them to me when I had my wisdom tooth removed & was in a lot of pain for 2 weeks & I loved the feeling they gave me. That was in 2011 but I only used to take 5 of them twice a week so it wasn't a problem until he stopped me using all his prescription & I discovered N+. After that I was free to take as many as I liked as he wasn't in control of them anymore and a little over a year ago after I had my baby (I didn't take any during my pregnancy) is when the problems started. I had postnatal depression & the only thing that made me feel happy was codeine. That's all I looked forward to each day & that's when this addiction took hold.

I'm guessing once your body gets used to the reduction in codeine you're taking the night sweats will stop. Can I ask why you decided you no longer wanted the paracetamol, I would have thought that would help with pain relief or were you concerned about liver problems? Thanks for your reply btw smile

• Posted

Sorry for the late reply Nikki. I did have a feeling that taking paracetomol in the Cocodomol for so long, since 2006, could have been damaging my liver. Also I saw an article on the news that the MRHA said that paracetomol doesn't help back pain at all and can cause more harm than good. This is what I said to the Dr, so he changed my prescription just to codeine, I'm over the moon that I still get the same pain relief from them. And safer too. am still getting terrible night sweats and waking at stupid hours in the morning. Just don't know when that's going to stop.

more importantly how are you doing? Any news from the clinic?

Take care

Latchy

• Posted

Yes I took co-codomal 30/500mg but I was heavily addicted to them and relapsed 3 times. I was badly injured and doctors gave me 30/500mg I took 2 4 times a day nothing was happening so I took 3 4 times a day and instead of helping the pain I was so relaxed then 3 4 times a day did not work I then started to take 4 3 times a day again it made me feel good, when that stopped working I took 5, 2 times a day, when that stopped I took 6 in morning 5 at lunch and 5 at night trying to get that first feeling. At times I felt sick I was 20 stones in weight I am down to 11 stones.  I was badly constipated till my bawls gave in at I had burning diarrhea. So I decided to stop now from 480mg codeine 8000mg of paracetamol a day from nothing. I had really bad stomach cramps, diarrhea every 5-15 minutes with cramps, blood coming out of my bawls. I was like this for good 2 weeks then I was fine. 3 months gone, I did my back in hospital gave me them tablets again I to 2, from that 2 it gave me a little relaxing feel good feeling. My brain focused on take 4 to get a better feeling which I did and guess what a little tingle before I know it I was back on same does 480/8000mg. 2-3 years went by so I decided to come off them but this time reduce. What I was taking is 6 in morning 5 at lunch 5 at evening - so I decided to take 6 in morning and 6 at night which -4. Then I reduced to 6 at night only which I started to feel bad etc. 1 week after reduce to 5 a night, week later 4 a night, week later 3 a night but in between these weeks I fell so ill. At that time I was off them for 6 months until I lost a close person top not feel stress I turned to co-codamol again I ended up back 480/8000mg…  from 1990 – 2015 I’ve been on these but not at 480/8000mg its was in the last 6 years where I went heavy on them.

Feb 2014 – 480mg/8000mg -   Day 1-3 (5x30/500mg = 3 times a day for 3 days) – Day 4-6 (4x30/500mg = 3 times a days for 3 days) – Day 7-9 (3x30/500mg = 3 times a day for 3 days) – Day 10-12 (2x30 = 3 times a day for 3 days) Day 13-15 (2x 12.8/500mg = 3 times a day for 3 days) – Day 16-18 (2x500mg paracetamol 3 times a day for 5 days ) in this process I was ill or with any stomach craps or diarrhea.

It is 28 May 2015 over 15 months I haven’t touched them, last week playing football I got injured doctors gave me anitiflamatry & co-codomal 30/500mg. I put the co-codomal in the bin not even once it cross my mind to take them. 

People out there DO NOT TAKE CODINE MEDICATION avoid them if possible, Do not take more than the dosage required by your doctor, if they don’t work stop taking them ASAP see your doctor again.

I am helping another person who is doing great from 500mg codine/10000mg para.  i manged with in 2 months reduced her to 62.4/1000mg a day.  so 12.8+8mg codine and 1000mg of para 3 times a day . with minor pains. 1 week she will be off them and will have her life back. When she does complete after 1 week i have asked her to do a full health check by doctors liver, kidneys etc..  

• Posted

My hat goes off to you. My husband is on tge same amount 15/500 not sure how many but too many. I am so concerned that it will end up killing him. I can only hope that one day he will stop.
  • Posted

Hi Nikki, I just came across this forum and saw your post. I've been hooked on Nurofen plus for 16 years and was taking over 70 a day at one point. Mostly I take approx 16 pills three times a day ( I don't even get a slight buzz now) recently I decided to taper down and am now on 10 pills 2-3 ted daily hopefully going down to 8 next week. I've gotten fed up of lying and having to travel miles to go to different chemists to get pills, also I was spending about £60 a week which is getting hard to hide. I can't confide on anyone so would be interested to hear how you are getting
    • Posted

Hey Jamie, I'm still the same, even a bit worse. I was taking 32 in one go but now I sometimes take another packet later in the day. I bearly get any effect either, apart from feeling tired. No one will help, I've tried my doctors & drug clinic but the drug addiction clinic don't have the funds to help. My mum has offered to pay for private counselling but I feel too guilty to accept her help. All the pharmacies are starting to question why they see me so often but my excuse is pretty good. I can't afford to keep doing it either. Why is there no help for us?! it's a mental thing as well as a physical addiction.. Have you not had problems doing this for so long? What about your stomach?? 
    • Posted

Hi Nikki,thanks for reply. Il keep it short as battery is away to run out and I'm at work. I can't drink alch now as I end up vomiting horrifically , I also feel tired a lot. Every now and again I wake up and feel terrible but apart from that and awful indigestion I'm okay. You are the first person I've actually discussed this with and it actually helps to know there is somebody going through the same stuff. The tapering seems to be working so far so fingers crossed on that. Let me know how your getting on and il get back in contact when I can. Thanx
    • Posted

OK will do. I'm thinking of tapering but quite quickly rather than gradually as not everyone gets withdrawal effects, they differ from person to person & with me it's more psycological than physical. And it's the worry of what MIGHT happen if you stop, it might not be as bad as we think. Plus you could always take a week off sick if you have to and say it's a virus or something. Good luck & keep in touch! Don't feel ashamed, there's a lot worse we could be doing than taking N+!! smile
    • Posted

Hi Nikki, sorry for late reply but I can only do this at work just now. You seem to be taking similar amounts as I used to and when I went on holiday for two weeks one time I stopped completely . I never slept a wink for the whole 2 weeks and my brain felt like it was wired to the moon. It's because of this that I couldn't go cold turkey and feel that tapering is only option . When I stopped taking 30-40 pills in one go and started to take approx 18 I never noticed any difference . You never get that warm high that you used to get. It might be worth cutting down a bit it might even ease withdrawal symptoms if you do decide to taper quickly. Some of the other forums seem to offer you hugs and kisses and all that but I've found some good practical advice on this one. Let me know if you start to taper and how it works for you, I'm planning to be off these things in just over a month and if I can do it anybody can!

Keep in touch

• Posted

Hello Jamie and Nikki.

It's great you have found each other on here. Hopefully you can help one another, as with anything like this, having someone doing it along with you is a great help.

I think you're right to do tapering, as there can be some nasty side effects to stopping suddenly, as you, Jamie, have found.

I hope you can both help one another to getting yourselves off the codeine. Not enough warning is given about taking codeine for long periods of time.

Keep us posted on how you both get on! smile

• Posted

Thanks Vauxhall Girl . I've looked at other forums and they all seem to go the tapering plan . Cold turkey isn't an option for me due to the insomnia as I have to work . I'm on 10 pills 2.3 times dail now and I'm not sure if I should jump down to 5 now. Would it make a noticeable difference? I've not even had a slight high of these things for years now and it's basically a habit thing now. What I would say to other people trying to stop is that you really have to want to come off them and be mentally in right frame of mind to do it. It may be that you have underlying issues in your life that need sorting first. Because if all is not right your going to have bad days when something happens and your going to reach for pills again. Anyway it's good to share this instead of bottling it all up for the first time
    • Posted

If it was me, I would decrease by just one tab per session....think of it like a Jenga block...slowly but surely...don't want to knock all the blocks down, and have to start again.

Then next week, decrease by another tab per session, until eventually you can give up the last tabs. smile

And yes, sharing is always a good thing if something is troubling.....

"A problem shared is a problem halved,"  my Mum always used to say. smile

• Posted

Yeah, I can see what you mean but I've had this planned for a while now am I was always going to drop 2 pills per session each week. Works out at 42 pills a week which seems a lot but I haven't noticed anything yet. I know there are going to be tough days ahead but I'm more confident now I know other people are going throug the same thing.
    • Posted

Cool. 2 tabs per session isn't excessive. Reckon that would work fine. smile
    • Posted

I have just found this thread. I am so relieved and sad to find other people in the same position. I have been addicted to NF for two years. My pharmacist recommended them for shoulder pain and now I am hooked. I sometimes take 40 tablets a day. The journies to different pharmacists is getting more difficult. I have tried going without but after a few days, I feel very low and the pain in my legs is horrible... so I always go back. I have now got hold of some Codeine Phosphorate. My GP was useless so I found a way to get them myself. Can anybody tell me whether CP can help. I tried to take it before but it made me drowsy. I thought it was the codeine that was addictive but, for some reason, the combination of Ibuprofen seems to give that buzz. I need to do it because my stomach is in a terrible state. I get awful cramps and pain. I've lost so much weight too. I feel really ill most times. Please help. I really want to get my life back.Thamk you...
    • Posted

Hey Drew, well done for trying to kick the habit my first bit of advice would be to try and see a different doctor, they're not all useless, and doing it with helping is really the best way to come off these things, however, if you do want to do it without a gp, the most important thing is that you've stopped taking the ibuprofen, that is what is damaging your stomach and possibly liver and kidneys, the stomach pains are probably acid reflux and or a mild stomach ulcer, you need Lanzoprazole, or a similar type to get rid of the reflux, and they will repair minor damage to your stomach, so should get your stomach sorted, the thing is if you don't REALLY want to quit, then you won't, you'll go a couple of days without then when the suffering starts you'll be straight back on them, it is the codeine that your body is addicted to, the CP should give the same effect as the Nurofen, if you don't want to or can't go cold turkey, which is hell for about 5 or 6 days, then taper yourself off slowly, as long as your not taking the ibuprofen then you will have stopped damaging yourself, so just keep on with the CP. and come off slowly, but once again, you HAVE to want to do it, if you need any help just ask, good luck, it is worth the effort to get clean, as I can testify, but go to the GP if you can

Rob

• Posted

Hey Rob. Thanks so much for taking the trouble to write. It's extremely helpful. You are right, I must sort out the stomach issue sorted. If I can eventually kick the codeine, I wonder how long it will be until I feel normal again and be able to live life in the way I did before I ever encountered NF. It's a really hazardous painkiller. You start off in all innocence trying to control your pain and the next minute you are addicted x
    • Posted

Hey Drew, I also found those little yoghurt drinks helped to settle my stomach down, the Yakult type ones, because all that ibuprofen kills all the good bugs in your gut and the drinks help replace them, I've only gone cold turkey, which is hell for 5 or  so days, but once the first week is over you feel better every day, there are some side effects that can last a while depending on how long you've been on them, I've never tried tapering off, so I can't tell you how long it will take, but if you do it slowly I suppose you'll just get better gradually and not even notice it, others on here should be able to give you advice on that aspect, you will be so glad that you made the effort to quit, it will take some willpower, but will be worth it I promise you, feel free to keep in contact if you need any moral support or advice, I'm no expert but have been through this twice, so I can give you first hand advice

Rob

• Posted

Thanks Robert. I will buy some Yakult. After the first few days, you say it gets better. Do the aching legs go? Do you start feeling a bit more positive without your hit? I hope I can be happy again and that stopping doesn't make me low and depressed. The last time I went cold turkey, I could only mange 3 days before the pain in the legs was so unpleasant and I just felt so low. I can't thank you enough for taking the trouble to write. Kindest regards. Drew x
    • Posted

Drew, I've never experienced aching legs, you do get what they call "restless legs" it's where you just can't lay still in bed, it's coupled with the insomnia that you get, I was lucky if I got an hours sleep in total over a whole night, you will also get very bad diarrhoea, maybe a couple of times during the night, Imodium won't even help in the first few days, the diarrhoea lasts for 2 or 3 days but the insomnia can last 4, maybe 5 days. These symptoms only start after 48 hours after stopping the pills, bearing mind, this is my experience of going cold turkey and if you do decide to take this option,if you can take a few days off work it would be the best, because I couldn't function normally, not least having to be near a toilet all the time, I don't wish to sound so off putting, but cold turkey is awful for a week, there's no nice way to put it, you will feel low, depressed, really, really awful. Which is why I recommend tapering off slowly if you've got access to CP. you can take normal, non addictive pain medication if your legs really hurt, but don't over do it. The thing with cold turkey is that you'll feel so bad that you'll be tempted to go back on the pills to end the suffering, and you'll have to start all over again. So it's up to you, if you've got a regular supply, taper down. It may take a while, a month or so, but you will feel better eventually, whichever method you choose, the choice my friend is yours, but I'll be here to help you through it if you need it, time for bed now, I'll check in tomorrow

all the best, Rob

• Posted

Hi again Rob. I think you're right. I have tried cold turkey and it is so unbearable. I have now got a supply of Codeine Phosphate. Do you think I could use that to taper down? Thanks again x
    • Posted

Hey, absolutely, if you went to the GP that's what they would give you, obviously work out the Mg of codeine you were taking with the Nurofen and start off somewhere below that with the CP, then go at a pace your comfortable with, I've heard some people drop down an equivalent of one Nurofen a day, some a bit more than that, I'm sure there are other posts on here describing how they tapered down, obviously if you've got a big supply of CP then you can take your time, with a big pile of CP in front of you, there will always be the temptation to take a load, so watch out for that, you still need willpower even when tapering down, but hopefuly you'll miss the insomnia,aching legs and the runs and it should be a "pleasant" withdrawl, here's hoping!
    • Posted

That is really good advice. I know it could be tempting to overdo the CP so I need to really have a tapering plan. If I stick to CP, do you think I will get my stomach health back? Thanks again Rob for taking the trouble to do this. It's a great help x I hope our posts will be helpful to others...
    • Posted

The thing irritating your stomach is the ibuprofen, so now you've stopped that, things should start getting better,obviously I can't tell how bad it is, or what your suffering from, the ibuprofen "burns" the stomach lining,and  if it's only mild it will get better pretty quickly. If the damage is more pronounced then the Lanzoprazole type medication will assist the healing. If your in real pain then a trip to the GP is in order, if you can't mention the Codeine addiction, just say you've got stomach pains and reflux and they should give you the meds, a good thing to try first is Gaviscon, it is very good, doesn't taste great but will really help with your problem, and will avoid a trip to the GP "hopefuly".  get yourself a big bottle, don't bother with the tablets.

the CP on its own shouldn't bother your stomach, so once the problems gone it shouldn't come back.

And im only going by what has and hasn't worked for me, obviously only you know how bad it feels, so try the Gaviscon and the drinks I mentioned before and give it a few days, if it's still bad after that, to the GP, and don't put embarrassment before getting yourself well!

• Posted

Thanks again Robert. This is so helpful. I noticed that a number of others are following the discussion so I am sure your comments will be helpful to others to. Take care x
    • Posted

No worries Drew, we are all in or have been in the same boat, so we should all help each other, keep in touch and let me know how it's going, and if you've ever got any questions I'll try and help, I'm sure you'll be rid of this addiction soon,and getting back to normal, it's great when you get there, I promise you that, and you've got the summer to look forward to which helps a great deal, exercise also helps to replace those endorphins that the codeine has been providing, so feel free to post any questions or if you just need to talk to someone

good luck

Rob

• Posted

And just a note to anybody taking Nurofen + or any similar medication, you can separate the codeine from the ibuprofen/ paracetamol, it's these that do the damage and result in people having surgery on their stomachs, you must stop taking large amounts of ibuprofen/ paracetamol, you can just take the codeine content of the pill, but this is NOT a method to continue abusing codeine, it is a method to come off your addiction safely, so please don't damage your bodies when you don't have to, there is always a safer way!

rob

• Posted

I will do Rob and thanks. That is my worry actually. I felt pretty good when I took NP (except for the physical symptoms). I just hope I can get a natural high and feel positive once again. I will let you know how I'm doing. Thanks again. Drew x
    • Posted

Thanks for this too. The one thing I've noticed is that, if I just take codeine, I feel so drowsy whereas NP gave me a lift. I definitely will stop taking Nurofen or Paracetomol because that does the damage. Any thoughts? x
    • Posted

I don't know why that would be, codeine is the opiate, which gives you the high, ibuprofen / paracetamol, isn't an opiate, and so shouldn't give you any high, if you took a box of ibuprofen you wouldn't get high, that's why you can buy them off the shelf without going to the chemist, either way you shouldn't be taking large amounts of them, not if you want your stomach back in order.

any opiate will make you drowsy Nurofen+ used to send me to sleep, that's why when you go cold turkey you can't sleep for nights on end!

• Posted

Hi Rob. Can I just ask another thing? I replaced the NP with Codeine Phosphorate... more than enough to compensate for the NP but I still had aching legs and felt quite low. I don't know why that would be. I did buy the CP from an internet pharmacy because I knew it would be difficult to get it from my GP. I thought that replacing the NF with codeine would give me the same effect without harm to my stomach and I could taper that down eventually. Any ideas? Kind regards, Drew x
    • Posted

Hey Drew, one thing I found is that Codeine didn't always give me a good feeling, sometimes it would leave me feeling in a bad mood and irritable, so drugs have all different effects, at different times of the day on different people. And when you've been on them for a long time you stop getting the "good" feeling, and you only take them to stay feeling "normal"

you cannot get " a high"  from Ibuprofen, but obviously it masks pain, so if you stop taking it, any aches and pains you have will suddenly appear much worse, or even seem to appear from nowhere.

aching legs is quite common apparently, it never affected me, but it is part of the withdrawl, you could take some painkillers, but then that may affect your stomach again, maybe try painkillers but follow the directions on the packet, which will limit your intake, unfortunately no withdrawl from addiction is without some discomfort, and tapering down is intended to make the discomfort as small as possible.

you say that you took " more than enough" to compensate for th N+, are you taking more codeine now than you were before?

any change to a long term substance abuse will make you feel different, and feeling low is a typical symptom

my only concern is the source of the CP, are you sure it's a legitimate source and not some fake rubbish from who knows where? Did you try the Gaviscon? How is your stomach?

• Posted

Hi Robert. I'm sure you're right actually. It's probably because the Nurofen was making the pain.... so all I get with codeine is a rubbish low feeling.

I took your advice on the Gaviscon. Got myself a large bottle. I took it last night and it did calm my stomach down. I am quite good friends with a Pharmacist so I might have a heart to heart with him. You could be right, I may have bought some rubbish on the net. The company seemd reputable but the drugs come from abroad so you never know. I have got a doctor's note to cover the whole of May. I want to do this by the end of May so I can enjoy the summer. I have a new car too but I daren't drive it whilst I'm still taking this crap. I can't thank you enough for taking the trouble to write Robert. It is helping a lot. Best wishes. Drew x

• Posted

Hey Drew, no worries,

dont be shy with the Gaviscon, I know it says take one or two spoons, but get your lips around the bottle and a couple of big glugs of it, get that down into your stomach to do its job, when you go to bed and again in the morning.

if you know a friendly pharmacist then he's your best bet, they know their stuff technically, and are the second best option to the GP, however, he probably hasn't experienced opiate withdrawl, so won't be able to tell you everything, I'd be interested to know why the CP isn't giving you a similar feeling to the Nurofen, and as I said, there will be some downsides to opiate withdrawl, no matter how you do it. You should have this cracked in a month, and large amounts of Codeine definitely affects your reflexes and general awareness, so your right to be careful about the driving, every time you post it shows up in my email, so if you need to ask anything or just talk, just make a post, I'd be interested to know what the pharmacist says if you don't mind sharing it, I'm sure it will help people watching these threads.

all the best 

Rob

• Posted

Thanks Rob. I will certainly keep in touch and let you know how it's going. I also don't mind sharing what the Pharmacist says. As you say, it may help others who read this. I really appreciate your advice. Drew x
    • Posted

Hi Drew and Rob.  I wonder if I could join you please, as I've spent the last 7 years hooked on N+.  I am desperate to get off these, but struggling badly with upset stomach and restless legs. Thanks so much xxx
    • Posted

Welcome Susan. I really understand. I see Rob has been in contact. He has been really helpful to me. The brilliant thing is that you are trying to face up to the problem. How many tablets are you taking? x Drew
    • Posted

Drew, Rob. Hope you dont mind me joining in. Ive spent the last 6 years addidcted to Codeine. I was prescribed 30/500 for back pain in 2010, i even managed to get my doctor to put it on repeat for me. I currently am allowed 150 Zapain every 3-4 weeks, never any questions asked! I have now managed to lower the dose myself. Few years back would have 6 in the morning and 6 in the afternoon everyday with fail, 150 tablets wouldnt cover it so i started ordering from an online pharmacy (registered uk) which set me back £60 per time that was just for 100. Now, i take 8 nurofen plus in the morning then about 10.30am 3 zapain (30/500), then in the afternoon another 8 nurofen and 2 Zapain before bed. My husband is fully aware of my problem because i have to get him to go to the pharmacy's for me becuase they will recongise me buying them. He will support me no matter what. This week, i have finally plucked up the courage and booked a doctors appointment (with the best doctor) i have to wait until the 8th of June as she is very popular. Ive heard of some kind of medication which takes the withdrawls away, have you heard of these? I would love to know how you're getting on? hope you dont mind me posting, i really want to get off them!
    • Posted

Hey Zoe, hope your ok,

ive only ever gone cold turkey "twice" and never took any medication to ease withdrawals so can't really help with that, there is a guy on here " wilro"

hes very knowledgeable about medications to help withdrawl, he lives in Australia though and the meds he mentions you might not be able to get, send him a personal message, he's very helpful, And is also coming off pills as we speak.You don't seem to be taking a large amount of pills, so withdrawl shouldn't be too bad for you, and well done for going through the doctors. Drew, according to his plan, should be on his second day today without any pills! PM him if you want,"also very nice" and me if you ever need to. One medication Wilro did mention to me was Modafinil, which is supposed to help with the " brain fog" symptoms of withdrawl, I have ordered some to see if they can help with my tiredness issues," not related to my previous addiction" I am clean from Nurofen + five months now and can only encourage you to see it through, it's the best thing you can do for yourself. Feel free. To ask anything you like, there is lots of information, a bit jumbled up though, up and down this page of comments

Rob

• Posted

hey Zoe, just written a reply, it's got to clear the censor, I'll see if it comes back, if not I'll have to write it again

rob

• Posted

I don't know where you are on your recovery away from opiates but I started with codine and over 3 years I worked muy way up to 15-20 24mg hydromorphone capsules a day, with 2-3 Dr's giving me scripts for weather it's 90x24mg or 180x12mg or 360x6mg, on top of those i also received 240 dilauded 8mg every 2weeks and I was living with this addiction for over 8years. But anyways to get to the point of contacting you. I have been clean for over 2years now so there is hope and once you are free of the addiction the weight on your shoulders will be completely gone, YOU CAN DO IT. I wanted to add something that had not been mentioned in any of the other replies. Ask your Dr for "CLONIDINE" !!! This medication is mainly a blood pressure medication but is also used to eliminate the restless legs, night sweats, sweats in general skin crawling, and anxiety almost 100%, also get some "IMODIUM" to help with any stomach issues as imodium is derived from an opiate it will keep any stomach problems caused by the reduction of codeine but you cannot get addicted to imodium since its not capable of crossing the blood brain barrier. With using these two together this will help allot. If you need any more advice please feel free to contact me via email or thru reply. I'm glad too help anyone get free of the prescription handcuffs.

• Posted

Hello Shawn. Thank you so much for posting this. It is really helpful. There are quite a few of us here now so I know they will appreciate your advice. We need the success stories to inspire others (see Nikki here also). I will look at your suggestions. I do get worried about not being able to function physically when I stop. I also worry about whtehr I will miss that buzz (which to behonest is very infrequent thesedays). Will I be bored? will I be depressed? What will life be like? I am so used to this world but dearly want to change. Thanks again. Drew x
    • Posted

Hi there Drew, I also have an addiction to Nurofen +,. I decided to take action today and came across this wonderful thread. It is nice to know there are other people in the same boat. I am fearful of going to my GP for help and wanted to know the name of the online chemist you accessed to gain the codeine phosphate. I think I need to take action soon, I am having symptoms of a stomache ulcer. Thankyou Drew smile 

• Posted

Hi Jenni

Yes, well done!. I was reluctant to talk to my GP but in the end I had to. Unfortunately he wasn't much help but you may have more luck. You should get checked out if you think you have stomach problems. I don't think this site allows me to post a site but if you google codeine phosphate on line UK, you will find a couple of places. It is expensive. I actually did not find it that helpful. CP made me feel very groggy although it is better than going through the withdrawals I guess. If you read some of the other posts, you can see the various ways people have used. Only you can decide what's right for you. I hope you can get a plan and stick to it. There is plenty of support here if you need it. We would also be glad to hear how you're doing.

Love Drew xx

• Posted

Jenni, please don't go down the online chemist route - you don't know what strength or anything thry put in there. Please go to your GP with print oitso of all the others in hell. If he / she fobs you off, insist on seeing something out. This is serious, it's an illness and should / must be treated as such by law: you are a patient presenting with potential life threatening injuries. Your stomsch coild explode and you could die of internal bleeding. Please, get very in the real world about this. Many doctors think N+ is ibruprofen and caffiene they are so ignorant. Do your research. You are allowed help as any other medical petient. You are addicted to opiates - codeine that gets converted to morphine in the liver - as close to being a heroin addict without mainlining. Think about that. Much support, (honest!) Rich x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.