Codeine Allergy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was recently prescribed codeine phosphate for constant diarrhea, but the last few days the area around my eyes has become very swollen itchy and sore, its worse when I get up in the morning and as the day goes on the swelling goes down but the skin becomes extremely dry and scaly, I stopped taking the tablets for a couple of days and the symptoms eased.

Has anyone else experienced this

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jo

I've some experience of cdoeine but have never come across anaything like you describe.  I have a dear friend who was prerscribed codeine for your symptoms and who who eneded up up in hospital wirth chronic constipation and in great pain.  If I were you I'd go back yo your gp asap.  I use loperimide for diarrhea with great success, have you tried it?

xxx

• Posted

Opiate type drugs can give you constipation, especially if the person isn't used to them and it's a high dose.

I used to have chronic diarrhea, painful, and the consultant said my body can't digest fats too well so I stick to good oils like extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil and I can handle that with no diarrhea. 

• Posted

Hi Georgia

I was addicted to 30/500 co-codamol but thankfully have been off them now since November.  However, when I was taking it I devloped a mild form of IBS, alternating diarrhea and constipation, brought on by me taking Andrews salts because the codeine had bunged me up, then loperimide to cure the runs; a vicious circle.  I now try to avoid both of those.

You said in another post that you get skin itching and take anti-histamines for it, which one(s) do you use?  Since I was treated for my paracetamol overdose I've developed skin irtching as well, initially I tried cetirizine, but it did nothing, then my gp put me on hydroxyzine which is an "old style" sedating anti-histamine which has cleared up the completely.

I sympathise with your problems with fats, it must be very diffuclt for you.

xxx

• Posted

I'm so thin and my clothes are falling off me. The antihistmines I take are fexofenidine but they're the most powerful and expensive ones so the docs don't like prescribing them for unemployed people. Ask for them and don't take no for an answer.
  • Posted

Just speculating but I take codeine/paracetomol from the doc and I was told by a nurse that paracetamol is the more dangerous drug of the two. I get itching skin which can hit anywhere on my body and I have to take antihistamines. I don't think I can relate it to codeine/paracetomol because I got the itching before I was taking it, but sensitivities can change so I'm not sure.

I've developed a lot of allergies I didn't use to have. And paracetomol is harsh on the digestive system, which relates to the immune system. Does your type of codeine contain mostly paracetomol?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.