Codeine and depression

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, i am really worried about a friend and was hoping someone could give me some advice my friend has been abusing codeine for about a year now and would take up to 64 12.5mg tablets on a daily basis and minimum 32 tablets a day, however they has developed really bad depression also and im wondering could they possibly be linked as their is no other reason that would be triggering the depression does anyone know what might be going on with them mentally????

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

How on earth does your friend manage to get their hands on some much codeine.  I've got RA/Sjogies and take codeine.  Codeine is great 'mood improver' something that one has to be aware of - its also incredibly addictive and I am myself addicted to the stuff.   It gives a 'feel good' effect and yes when it wear off and upon waking one tends to feel rather 'depressed'

• Posted

Hi

All narcotics r a depressant when they wear off. She needs to wean off slowly perhaps with a doctor's help

• Posted

Hi ski - sad to read your friend has such a dependence on Codeine. There doesn't seem to be any link to depression with overdose, though there are many side effects which may become depressing. Dangerous amount your friend is taking. Intervention perhaps? Rehab to get over the addiction. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.