Codeine/Antihistamines be the cause of enlarged Prostate?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi folks,

Following on from my last post which so many kind fok replied to i am wondering something.I have ME and with some of the symptoms i have been taking a codeine daily for the past couple of years as well as anti histamines every couple of days . I looked on google and it said on some sites do not take codeine if you have BPH but could either drug cause the problem or irritate the prostate ? Strange enough the one site i saw which says you can take it for the Prostate pain was the NHS one!!!

Many thanks folks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

John, from my personal experience I know that an enlarged prostate that is inhibiting flow enough to be very bothersome will be made worse by use of antihistamines. This is a common effect. I don't believe it will cause BPH, though. 
  • Posted

I'm taking codeine for another complaint, codeine will and do cause constipation which will cause pain as the stools push against the prostate as for antihisamines,

I took chlorpheamine for Hay fever and it sent me into retention due to it causing the prostate and to swell and the bladder muscles to contract, that taught me to read the information leaflet as it say's "do not take if you have urine problems or and prostate problem."

I hope this helps, kind regards Howard.

PS: if in doubt consult your GP or Pharmasist.

• Posted

I hope you made sense of that post ( I can see no way to edit )
  • Posted

I imagine you can have prostate pain -- prostatitis for example -- and not have urinary retention. Maybe that was what the NHS site was referring to?

Like others have said, you have to be careful with some drugs -- opiates, antihistimines, decongestants, etc -- as they can make urinary retention worse. That said, I have taken OTC antihistimes and decongestants for  allergies and colds, and really didn't notice that much of a difference. So, I don't think it's necessarily that you can never take them, just be aware and be careful, and check with your doc if not sure.

Jim

• Posted

First sentence should have said  "I imagine IF you have prostate pain" . Didn't mean to infer you had it, just using an exmaple.  
  • Posted

Thank you so much gentlemen.Really appreciate your input as always.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.