codeine at week 5 and neuroma

Posted , 7 users are following.

HI folks I am at week 5 now, so moving about much more, and have had a few full days at meetings. By the evening my foot seems to throb a bit and I am still taking one 30mg codiene  most evenings, but that is all I take. Is it normal to be taking pain meds at this stage?. Also my foot does still feel a little strange. I had a neuroma pre surgery but decided not to have anything done to it in the hope the bunion op will sort it out. does anyone have experience of one of these and do you think it will settle down?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hey explain neuroma to me I not had op yet but be interesting to look out for it thanx
    • Posted

Its an irritated nerve between your 2nd and 3rd toes, the nerve gets pinched due to the misalignment of the toes caused by the bunion. Its quite uncomforatble, and can get sore. mine had settled down a bit before the op, and although my bunion is gone I think the hard bunion bootie might be annoying it.
  • Posted

Hi sim at, I am 9 weeks and still take meds dome nights. Back at work too but gets swollen and throbs in the evening. I am wearing a support sock during the day which has made a lot of difference to the swelling. I also had a neuroma but got it removed at the same time as my bunion, they are too sore I thought, just wanted it out. I have still a slight numbing on my second toe which will perhaps stay like that but so much better than the pain from the neuroma. Are the codeine not making you constipated? Too long on them can do! Good luck. Amanda
    • Posted

Yes a little, good to hear I'm not the only one taking the meds, I hope the neuroma calms down, it was a gamble leaving it, but it wasn't a really really bad one
    • Posted

Hi Simbacat

Lilian here hope you got my last replay as no heard from recently. 

Luckily the foot doesn't throb neither did one I had previously done I have a desk job  3 day weeks  keep it up as much as poss walking not far or fast get the od  feeling of uncomfortable tightness at the tip when flexing but that's it find myself walking on the side of my foot so not to flex toe but someone said that's how you get neuroma

I have one on the other foot not sure if was

There before op it causes horrid burdening sensation for a long while but it thankfully does go away the surgeo said to leave it unless it causes probs I am sure yours will settle too I found out that you can pm here so feel free to do so  the end to wearing the boot is nearly here !

Regards

• Posted

Oh hi Lilian, I'm still here! I have so much appreciated your support!. I don't know about you but some days I feel so optimistic and others so exhausted of it all. As you say hopefully  nearly  at the end of the bootie, I just can't wait. My big thing is that I own a horse and have so so missed riding. I had thought I would be back after 6 weeks, but now I'm not so sure, how will I get my foot in the boot?? Anyway the nightmare of my 2 big days at work are over and it has been easier just working form home and going to the odd shorter meeting, so hopefully all getting better smile
    • Posted

Glad to hear you are finding things easier once the shoe is off you will feel more "human" as for riding I would play it ear as I am sure you will having your life restricted is for me a bit like having your hands tied metaphorically speaking of course

Best wishes 

• Posted

Hi sombacat its mark i did riply on the other page ok  good luck i am leaving this site so wish you all the best biggrin
    • Posted

Hope its all going well with you then, maybe catch you on the other one, but I guess there's only so much bunion talk we can all take!! smile

• Posted

My doctor prescribed me cocodamol today and have to say they havne't touched the pain at all sad I am going into week 3 now and not sure how much more of this pain I can stand sad
    • Posted

Oh so sorry to hear that Beanie, the next step up on the pain relief scale is Tramadol. It is very strong and you have to be careful to eat with it and not take too much at once as it can make you nauseous. Why not call into your GP and ask for help, he/she might be more accessibe and helpful than the surgeon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.