CODEINE - Early days but a worrying trend

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, new to the site and was looking for some opinions.

In 2017 I injured my rib playing football and was prescribed 100 cocodamol (30/500) tablets - Yes really that amount. Ever since then I have used them for whenever i felt unwell but never managed to actually get properly addicted, i was taking 2 tablets like once or twice a month on average. I enjoyed the feeling but just never ended up taking it too often.

UNTIL... until this new world of covid19 restrictions commenced.

Just like millions of others the misery of lockdown really got to me, i started taking the cocdamols twice per week (again only two 30/500mg) per time so safe doses until i ran out.

I purchased a big box of solpadeine max and nurofen plus but again i am still not taking loads, its still just twice per week and has never been more thsn this but this time its 5 pills, so 3 nurofen plus + 2 solpadeine max per go, again generally safe dosages.

I guess i have managed to never become properly addicted as i dont take dangerous doses but recently the urge to take it more days per week is increasing and i have noticed the euphoric feeling is reduced, assuming my tolerance is getting higher.

i know im not a tragic story and it may not seem like a bad situation but i feel like i am at a crossroads to either starting to take more or finally managing to stop altogether although the idea of stopping altogether doesnt sound nice to me, I almost view codeine as like a treat, some people like to drink on a Saturday night, well i prefer a night of codeine.

As of yet it doesnt badly affect my life, i am 27 years old, engaged to be married, good paying job living at home with my wife to be but i can now recognise a problem on the horizon.

I guess in just looking for some advice and opinions,

Thank you

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

ive been on 8 a day for 10 years for chronic pain (shouldnt of been on it that long) neurologist went mad at gp, anyway ive tapered myself off and stopped lastnight, its a dangerous drug and you will soon crave more, the withdrawal is also sheer hell!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.