Codeine/opiate withdrawal coping mechanisms

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I was wondering if anyone had withdrawn from opiates such as codeine within a short space of time.If so what helped the most? Many thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane,

​             At the beginning of Feb I stopped taking co-codamol from taking 10-15 a day to none at all.The main thing that helped me was exercise.Whenever I felt really bad I would go out for a walk and this always helped the craving and associate feelings and withdrawal symptoms lessen.Just sitting around doing very little for me seemed the worst method of dealing with issues.I also stopped taking anti-depressants the same way.However you do it the main thing I think though is willpower and the need to see that you must stop taking these drugs.The anti-depressants I was taking because I was actually suffering from depression but the co-codamol was out of habit and addiction.It is now nearly 2 months since I stopped and I am still having trouble sleeping and my moods can be up and down but however I feel now it is still a whole lot better than when I was on these drugs.Hope this helps.Best Wishes,Tony.

​  

• Posted

Hi Jane,

I quit taking codeine cold turkey after a 9 addiction to it. I chose cold turkey because tapering wasn't something I had enough control to do, also I felt like tapering just drew the whole process along. It was really rough. The insomnia and restless legs/arms nearly drove me to insanity. I tried so many different things both homeopathic and medicinal. I did my own research after five days straight without a wink of sleep and finally found something that worked. I went to my doctor and was prescribed lyrica (pregabalin) and within an hour of taking the first dose my restless legs and arms were gone and I finally slept. It's the only thing that worked for me, that and hot Epsom salt baths. But as soon as I got out of the bath the restless legs came back.

There's no real quick fix. Your body needs to flush out the toxins and learn to survive without codeine. You just have to ride it out and if you choose, take something to help lessen the severity of your withdrawal symptoms.

As a side note, try and stay away from benzo's like Valium. They can be far more addictive than opiates and from what I've heard a lot more painful to withdraw from.

If you need any help or advice I'm here 😊

Nikki

• Posted

codeine has a relatively short half life which means it's generally out of your body within 1-2 days depending on usage and dose. That's why day 2 is usually when you start to really feel like rubbish. your body is freaking out trying to function without the drug.

In regards to the restless legs again it all depends on your dosage and length of time you've dependent on the drug. Everyone is different but by day 8 mine were gone. I do still get them sometimes when I'm stressed but only a mild case. Once I give myself something to do it goes away. Keeping your mind busy is really vital. draw, write, colour in anything that's makes your mind think.

Nikki

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.

I still have restless legs and this is concerning.

?The codeine was prescribed fora trauma and I only took a very small dose but still had side effects albeit it took five months of severe daily headaches to identify that it was all due to codeine.

I have not taken any codeine for six months so perhaps the rls is due to other factors.

Have you had a back injury ? Hope you don't mind my asking.

Jane x

• Posted

I tried to withdraw from codeine on my own a few times but I just couldn't do it I went to the gp they prescribed codeine 15mg to taper off but I just couldn't do it I just took the same amount and bout more nurofen plus over the counter. Around 4 weeks ago I booked myself into a drug group they have really helped I have been prescribed bupernorphine 1mg and have been off codeine for nearly a week the longest I have ever gone. I was very embarrassed at first but you get over it if you want to stay alive. The bupernorphine takes the edge off withdrawal and takes your mind off the codeine. Only problem is I will have to come off this at some point so i am substituting the codeine but for now I'm happy the codeine is gone!

• Posted

Hi

Codeine is one of the hardest of the opiates to withdraw from according to my neurologist.

​There are two  ways of stopping this poison . Cold turkey or tapering.

​Even a tiny amount can have adverse reactions after stopping it so have to check every drug otc or prescribed for codeine as you will be back to square one again with withdrawal .

​I do not know about bupermorphine butit sounds like an opiate soo.........

Anyway you should be very proud that you have come off codeine so I would advise taking baby steps. Magnesium helps as do epsom salt soaks as they relax the muscles. Drinking plenty of water helps to flush thetoxic substances from your body.

​Take care and keep strong.

xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.