Codeine OTC

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been addicted to codeine realistically about 2 years (buying over the counter codeine products for nearly a year). Started taking 30/500 solpadol once a day back in 2014/15 then took it once ever other day for abit, started when I was experencing a lot of discomfort in my legs from long hours standing. Since 2016 I have been downing loads of nitrogen plus but in the last 48 hours i'be weened myself down from 16-20 a day to 12 a day and taking at 2 set times a day. I experience some withdrawal but not loads and due to work and family demands I can't settle into a program. I have the goal and the determination but some support and guidance would be great right about now.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Well done for getting this far . I myself was addicted to Dihydrocodeine for approx 15 years ( anything from 40 - 50 tabs a day ) but have been clean for nearly 4 years .

The first few days are always the hardest but if you can keep cutting down like this then the withdrawal will not be as bad .

Im quite concerned that you're taking Nurofen Plus in large quantities as this can severely irritate the stomach ( don't get me wrong ...taking the same dose of co-codamol would result in a paracetamol overdose , so don't do that )

However if you can't stop completely straight away then switch out 4 of those tablets for co codamol ( i.e. 2 in the morning , 2 at night ....but deduct that from the 12 tablets your on at the moment ).

If you feel that you can't reduce this dose and go drug free then it might be worth talking to a professional ( GP or counsellor ) although you seem to be doing well so far .

However if you feel yourself slipping or having a bad day these  dependencies to drugs can escalate back up ( believe me I know , I started on very low doses and it escalated up to terrible proportions and almost cost me everything I had)

Surround yourself with the people you love and like to spend time with , get active and plan to fill your days with as much as you can do ....It's much easier to get rid of addictions if your happy and active in other ares .

Immmodium , Vitamin C , bananas ( for the potassium ) protein drinks ..all are friends during withdrawal .

If you do decide to stop completely ..cold turkey , the first 3-4 days are the worst .Plan ahead , tell people you've got the flu ( if you don't feel you can tell anyone , although it would be better if you could confide in someone to help you through )

Weekend in bed , DVD,s , the above mentioned drugs + just Paracetamol .

Hope this helps a little.Good luck with everything and well done for getting this far .🙂

• Posted

Thanks for the advise because I'm thinking of taking it down to 6 in total and then going cold turkey and I'm not prepared for it and there is too many mixed reviews for the symptoms of withdrawal. I was in withdrawal 4 weeks ago when I first tried this and it is the leg pain that tips me over the edge.

I tried this before where I got down to 12 a day but was doing it more spaced out and it just didn't work at all I felt like death. My grouped together method seems to be allowing the tabs to take the withdrawal away and not get me 'buzzed' though it is concerning how I'm doing it. I feel like I have achieved something though so going to give it another day and move to 10 I think.

Thanks for the support and advice

• Posted

Just a quick text as I'm on my way out , but yeah I know exactly what you mean .Mine was lower back pain when I was withdrawing ...didn't think it was going to stop at one point ! But it does , just takes time.

Some people say it's like bad flu .....but Ive had flu before and I'd gladly go through that several times over than withdrawal .

Really feel for you , but keep at it .Its worth it in the end .🙂🙂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.