Codeine Withdrawal

Posted , 6 users are following.

It's now 72 hours since I last used codeine. I was on 32 Paramol or Solpadeine Max a day, extracting the codeine like a pro. Night one was good. I knocked myself out with zolpidem and Nytol. Night 2 wasn't so good, and last night was sheer hell. I took anything and everything I could find to try to get some sleep, but my heart raced and I sweated all night. I just want to know if this is likely to get better anytime soon. I can honestly say I have never felt this ill in all my life. I have no drugs in the house at all now, and I desperately want to hang on in there. Please help.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I promise it will. I have been through multiple withdrawals and it was hell on earth. Give it another few days and you'll get over the initial shock to your body. Be strong and try cold packs, deep breathing, distracting with whatever distracts you (reading, good movie etc). Eventually you'll fall asleep but it may take another night or too. It'll get better. Bestest wishes. 

• Posted

Different withdrawals as in with different medications. Not multiple attempts. 😊

• Posted

Sorry, one more thing. Is there someone close you can talk too. When you're feeling really bad? Sometimes talking about it at the time you're feeling really off can help. Basically, it can help validate what you're feeling etc. I had terrible itching, insomnia, nausea, irritability and crying. 

• Posted

Ye you will be going through hell right now but it will get better soon, 72 hours is determination so hang in there

how long where you on them? 

Are you going cold turkey?

Where you taking them for pain?

Sorry for all the questions but it's just to get an understanding of where you are x

Everything your experiencing is "normal" believe it or not but stick with it, 

Magnesium ( salts for baths, tablets and sprays) will help with muscle twitching

Cold/heat packs

Walking even 5 - 10 mins will help sleeping

Keep hydrated

Try and eat well

You can do this and your life will be so much better but get family and or doctors support to help you through, 

Good luck 😊

• Posted

I'm tapering just now from over 10 years of using opiates. I've got a chronic pain condition and they're the only thing that helps along with having surgery under GA every 4-6 weeks. I started taking solpadol, the my GO put me on tramadol, now I'm taking Oxycontin. I was taking 300-350mg a day and last week I decided to taper. I've tried before but this time I'm sticking to it.

I would definetly suggest tapering instead of stopping cold turkey. However, I did stop taking tramadol cold turkey. The first 5 days were horrific but then by day 7 I felt a lot better. How are you now?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.