codeine withdrawal, buprenorphine

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey peeps, really hoping someone can help. 

Ive been abusing codeine for The last 18 months and i am currently 7 days off but I'm still having hot flushes and dont feel too great.  . I used most days and on my days off i used 300mg gabapentin in the morning and same at night.  Im doing the same dose of gabba at the moment but it isnt helping like it used to.   

My last 2 months have been up to 25 30mg dihydrocodeine. 

My question is can i use Tramodol or buprenorphine to finish withdrawal off?  I have taken 200mg of tramodal the last 3 days but dont want to be making things worse.

I kniw these are opioids and are in the same family but I'm unsure of the similarities regarding my question.

I really dont want to try taking 2 codeine in a morning unstead as im done with that.  

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi John

Sorry to hear of your struggles.

I'm by no means an expert but, all I will say that by taking something like Tramadol, you will just end up swapping one drug for a stronger one & could end up back to square one but in a much bigger mess than you were in on the codeine.

If you Google vitamins etc or stuff to help withdrawals, there are supplements you can take that can help you.

Sorry I can't be of any more help, good luck mate

Ritchie

• Posted

Hi john 

the problem is tramadol ( allthough seen as a opiate ) is actually chemically different and were opiates such as codeine bind to opiate receptors tramadol also partially bind to this receptor but also has a anti-depressant action which is turn will help with pain 

buprenorphine on the other hand is a Partial Agonists which bind to receptors and activate them, but not to the same degree as do full agonists,so buprenorphine wouldnt be recommended as a replacement medication for codeine or dihydrocodeine ( as these are full agonists ) 

another reason to avoid buprenorphine is its half life ( the time it takes to leave your system ) ... it can have a half life of up to 60 hrs ... this means it would be difficult to assess a dosage and could be dangerous if taken incorrectly ... also most gp,s and drug workers wouldnt prescribe it as a replacement for opiate reduction therapy 

any reduction from codeine or dihydrocodeine should be done slowly ... even though not as powerful as morphine,methadone or fentanyl they metabolise to morphine and thus will present similar withdrawal symptoms when stopped suddenly 

on a positive note there is a medication thats been used during opiate withdrawal ..... gabapentin is normally used for nerve pain but the sedation side effect can help with hot flushes and other common symptoms .... gabapentin is prescription only  ..... another medication ( avalible over the counter ) is buscopan which stops cramps in stomach and bowel .....  finally lopramide ( also avalible over the counter ) stops any diarrhea which is also common when stopping opioids 

i strongly advise against buprenorphine and tramadol mainly due to their strength ( compared to codeine ) and their similar chances of addiction ..... 

i hope this helps john ... any questions let me know 

• Posted

Thanks guys, i hear ya.

I dont actually have either drug on prescription but have a patch of buprenorphine and about 15, 50mg of tramodol.  My intention will not to be getting more as ive managed to get help from friends.   

I think my question is will either drug delay the withdrawal or manage the sweats/flushes over the next few days.

Or am i just prolonging things

• Posted

This is a suggestion & taking LESS meds &fewer kinds should be safer..check w/doctor if you can...If you are using these meds w/o medical supervision you must be very careful...to my knowledge codeine has a short half life so it leaves body quickly, the other opiods are long lasting & will totally be working AGAINST what you want, it helps w/wd symptoms b/c its an opioid & its what your body wants, but it wont help you quit, you will just change addictions to stronger longer lasting opioids...If you havent had ANY codeine, after 7 days youre doing great, stop using the other opioids, youre better off coming off codeine more gradual,then adding stronger longer lasting opioids to the issue...treat your symptoms,over the counter things(use only as directed more isnt better) for nausea,vomiting, diarrhea, use cold packs and fans for sweats, take showers, eat good food in small meals, exercise releases natural endorphines & distracts from your suffering...using your gaba in lower doses everyday keeps it at constant level and may work better, drink water as dehydration is an issue in wd....the first few weeks will be the worst...if you started/start back on codeine (b/c of side effects)cut back to a point thats bearable, after 3 days cut back again, let your body adjust to lower dose and then do it again...gradual reduction can take longer but you can do it, stick with it...if you slip up its NOT a failure, you keep going and get back on track..I really wish you the best, a rehab facility/Dr assisted treatment w/b better solution but I know it isnt always an option..Good for you taking control, Take Care?

• Posted

Hey thanks.   I havent had anything today but guessing im still covered with the tram from yesterday.  Will monitor things and may take 2 codeine later.   I have enough to do as you recommend shoukd i start to struggle.  Famous last words, never again.
    • Posted

I think you'll be fine John!!

As Sgt.lindalee says, if you slip up it isn't a failure so don't beat yourself up about it!

Just put it down to experience & go again.

Also take everything on board that Brianthesnail said. I'm sure you've got this, just stick at it & keep your mind occupied & before you know it, a whole day will pass & you won't even think that you forgot you hadn't taken any (if you follow me) 😆

Take care & good luck

Ritchie

• Posted

Hi john 

taking other meds to counteract symptoms of other medications can help in certain cases ( such as librium for alcohol and valium for reduction from ativan ) but with opiates the only way is simply reduction .....

using a opiate such as codeine to aleviate symptoms from opiate reduction/withdrawal is simply prolonging withdrawal symptoms ..... i found this out when coming off methadone ( around 10 times more potent than codeine ) 

luckily i did a reduction but the mental side was with me for months .. and this isnt unusual ... even with codeine your brain needs time to adjust as the opiate "cushion" has been removed .....

its not because your physically unwell but its your brain reacting to less opiates ( or no opiates ) in your body and because of this it can create many symptoms ... main one is depression and lethargy .... 

i apologise if this sounds hard but imho the only way is to ride the storm ...allow your body and brain to repair .. but remember every day you will be better .. not by alot but around in around a few months you should be feeling alot better 

i hope you feel better soon and stick with it john ... keep us posted mate 

• Posted

Hey guys, i decided not to use either drug and just stuck to the gabba.

Its day 11 and most of my sweats have.

I feel a bit weak and get dizzy when i get up too quick but other than that feel ok.

I gave my friend the remaining tramodol and codeine back as i was getting tempted to get a buzz. Better out of arms reach.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Posted

Avoid bupremorhine at all costs believe me the withdrawals from this are way worse. Your doing good keep going don't go back x

• Posted

Good for you John.

Keep it up mate

It will get easier

Ritchie

• Posted

13 days today and honestly feel great.

No more junk for me.

• Posted

Just a check in.

18 days without any dhc.

Most days now are ok thank f%#k.

I think my head is tricking me as i can still feel cold sweats in certain times.

My sleep isnt great also but this too shall pass.

Its a million times better than i felt on day 3 so fully recommend it😀.

Good luck to anyone going through the same xx

• Posted

If you really want help. Call this number. Its a small price to pay but it saved my life in everyway 6475370543.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.