Codeine withdrawal symptoms

Posted , 46 users are following.

So to cut a long story short I have been addicted to codeine for over one year. I knew I had a problem but was unable to reduce my intake so decided enough was enough and decided to go cold turkey. I was taking at least 240mg per day. I am now 10 days since last codeine. I'm not going to lie and say it was easy - it was the worst week of my life but the past couple days have been a lot easier and feel so much better and normal again. My only symptoms I am having now is diarrheoa - I have had diarrheoa at least once a day for 10 days and have lost quite a bit weight. How long does the diarrheoa last?! I have bought Imodium but don't want to start messing about with them but feel I might need to. Another problem I am having is sleep - falling asleep okay at nights but wakening up in the middle of the night and struggling to get back to sleep. I have started taking vitamins to start look after myself a bit better and hopefully help with this but any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

4 likes, 476 replies

476 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi to everyone who's posted in this thread over the years. I've sat and read the whole thing in the last day and has it gave me some extra strength.

I've spent almost 18 years as a slave to codeine, around 500mg per day for the last 10 years but double that at some times. I've done CT three times over that period but sadly always relapsed within a few months.

I've reached the point now where I'm beyond sick of having no control over my day to day life, living in fear of running out and also guilty for putting so much crap in my body.

Any how, I went CT on Easter Sunday and within 24 hour it kicked in and blew me away, nothing like the last time back in 2007. I was vomiting every 10 mins just around the 22 hour mark along with all the normal stuff, flu, cramps, sweats so I caved in quick, honestly thought the vomiting was going to cause some major damage inside as my stomach was getting tore out.

Decided to try to taper and seems to be going well as it stands, was taking 900mg per day back before Easter and now into the third week I'm down 90mg per day and getting stronger mentally the more it hurts. Other than missing my beauty sleep badly,(damn, you don't realise how good sleeping is till you can't just shut your eyes and drop off) I've managed to keep the other symptoms under relative control, just in a perma flu like state.

The reason I signed up was to say I felt like a total outcast to the world for years, I thought I was the only one doing this and struggled to understand how I managed to get in this mess, reading through this thread made me understand this drug is destroying lives all over the bloody world.

To anyone going CT or tapering right now, be strong you can do it. Anyone clean, remember the zombie state and getting off this junk, good luck and thanks for sharing your tales of woe and joy.   James

• Posted

Hey lee I’m now on day 4 of withdrawal I’m still feeling sick and have horrible diarrhoea. Today is the first day I’ve had any sort of energy but the spasms in my tummy are stopping me from doing anything!

I thought yesterday I was starting to get better as Tuesday was the last time I used and it’s now Saturday but I woke up during the night being sick to the point I thought my insides were going to be ripped out! 

I really hope after I get through the horrible withdrawals that I can stay away from this horrible drug. I know smokers who have finally quit finally don’t even think about it I hope that’s the feeling I will feel after a month or so!

In a Mum too and I know I’m not the best Mum I can be on this horrible drug! Always tired and can’t be bothered when all my little girl wants is for me to play with her but my mind is too foggy. 

I hope next day is a little better again! How many days clean are you now?

• Posted

Hi Ashley how are things going? It's a difficult journey but I can tell you are determined to get free. Some days will be easier than others. The temptation to pickup will be strong but try to remember how bad it felt when you were in the grip of the addiction. There is a solution and you are on the way. My very best wishes for your courage and recovery. JH

• Posted

Hey everyone sorry I haven't been keeping up with the discussion. So it's been a rollercoaster for me. Came off codeine nearly a year ago and lasted for around 4 - 5 months, since then iv been on and off them unfortunately. The first time coming off them was the hardest thing iv been through and I was determined not to get to that stage again. So I ended up taking them But only for about 2-3 weeks I would take them but I would take more per day than I was ever on. The last episode of my taking codeine I was taking over 300mg per day and need to stop as I was drowsy and sleeping constantly and felt completely reliant on them. Needed to think of family more than anything. The first week after taking them is always the hardest. But I'm now around 18 days free of codeine and back on track. Keep thinking to myself that if I start taking them I need to go through the withdrawal process again. And I cannot do that again. The sleepless nights are horrific and mood swings worst. Along with diarrhoea and abdo cramps

I hate the drug and wish I had never got involved with it. I always feel once I start taking it I can't get cope without it but if I have none In the house I have no choice, then realise I can cope.

To this day not once soul knows about my addiction and I have a very close family and friends network. So I have been going througb each withdrawal suffering alone.

Hope everyone is doing okay. I haven't had time to read through every comment but I'm starting now.

Lee

• Posted

Same kind of time frame I failed at a few times over the years Lee. At least you have kept on trying to get the devil off your shoulder straight away, keep on fighting it you seem committed to winning the fight.

One day at a time, just the same as the WD stage until at some point it hopefully doesn't matter anymore.

• Posted

Not sure if anyone still around on here but I can’t find the answer I need anywhere I’ve found that nurofen plus ibuprofen and codeine 12.8/200  gives me the warm fuzzy feeling but taking codeine and paracetamol 15mg/500 paracetamol  doesn’t give me any kind of feeling anyone know why?? 
    • Posted

I have no idea sorry. I experienced that sensation with both products containing codeine
    • Posted

Hi Marnie432,

I also experienced that. I put it down to my psychological and emotional addiction to nurofen plus. Remember, it’s not only physical addiction. If you switch and use codeine/paracetamol instead of codeine/ibuprofen for at least a week, I’m sure you will feel that warm feeling with codeine/paracetamol. Remember, both ibuprofen and paracetamol can be dangerous when taken in high amounts. I would suggest seeking just codeine. 

I hope that helps. 

All the best 

• Posted

Hi guys just wanted to update everyone on my progress I’ve been off codeine since feb and feeling really good still get a few symptoms tho but coping really well. I just want to say to all the new people please don’t give up I’ve gone from 30 nurofen Plus a day to nothing I went CT and I think that was the best choice for me but honestly if I can get rid of them everyone can. If you are finding it hard go see the dr cause honestly this is the biggest reason it’s been taken off the shelf here in Australia and a lot of other countries. Drs are not there to judge just to help. Don’t be ashamed everyone has their own reasons they started in the first place just as long as you get off it there is no shame. We all support you here and no one will judge. 
    • Posted

Good on you Aurora! I totally agree with everything you’ve said.  
  • Posted

Hi everyone, first time on here and started my own discussion.  Addicted to 30/500mg (mostly disp) for 2 years now.   Try to wean gently and then flu like symptoms started last Thursday.  Vomited on the Friday night and then went cold turkey.  Since then i have had diarrhoea every few hrs, especially after eating something.  Ive hid this from my wife and kids for some time now, GP knows nothing either, although with mood swings i think my wife suspected something!  Been to A&E and GP with my diarrhoea symptoms, stool samples taken, bloods done and all was clear apart from one inflammatory marker.  They have put it down to Gastroenteritis, but i now know better after reading some of your informative posts.  I feel well in myself apart from RLS, and the diarrhoea.  The diarrhoea is really getting me down and has left me at home.  Even missed some of my kids fun days at school because of my stupid co-codamol addiction.  Been quite emotional and my daughter is scared for her daddy.  Been on an IV drip to replace lost fluids.  So day 6 cold turkey, i really hope the diarrhoea ends soon as we go on holiday in 3 weeks!!!

• Posted

Welcome Tullmimore, sounds like the worst is over although diarrhoea can take awhile. Most people take Imodium which helps. Magnesium for RLS. Most importantly don’t take another tablet or you will end up where you started. A day at a time and you will get free of co-codamol. Best wishes for your recovery JH
    • Posted

Hi I too can not get past day four as the cramps and needing to use the bathroom. I've had too many day ones but seeing your comment makes me realise I'm not alone and this will pass. I'm on day one again which I'm disgusted with myself. I'm lying to everyone saying I'm clean when I'm not. I never taught coidiene would take over my life the way it has. As much as I hate it I love them and the feeling it gives me. Can I ask if you are attending meetings or are you doing this on your own. Well done for getting this far. You have more strength than you realise. X x

• Posted

Hi Caroline. Lovely to hear from you and I'm so glad I found this forum. I phoned a helpline called FRANK in the UK. They explained that I will probably have diarrhoea for a while but the regularity should calm soon. I'm doing it all on my own as I cannot tell my wife etc. I will NEVER go back on those dreaded tablets as I can see the effect It has on my 10yr old daughter seeing me going through the withdrawal but thinking I've a bug. I'm so ashamed but I'm determined to kick this. I wish u well and ask u to stick to it.

• Posted

Thank u so much for us reply. The diarrhoea is still there but the regularity seems to be decreasing. Everything seems brighter and I am no longer having such dreadful mood swings towards my wife. Wish I had never crossed this drug.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.