Codeine Withdrawal Tips Please on restless legs

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello

I am 33 and have been prescribed codeine for 7 years by my GP for a bile acid and Pancreas condition. I started out with just 8 30mg tablets a day but recent months following a very stressful period ive been up to 15 a day which have resulted in horrible nightmares before bed following day awful slump, no get up and go etc. I've recently had surgery and was given tramadol and abused these aswell as I enjoyed the high. Something snapped and now enough is enough. I'm out of tramadol and 30mg codeine so im now day 2 from taking them. I have had to use shop bought co-codomal to help the horrendous pain in my legs. I've got fly symptoms, I'm very cold all the time, upset stomach, no appetite, adversion to strong tastes like coffee and really painful legs.

I've chosen now to do this while I'm signed off work and can do this without it affecting that aswell.

Does anyone have any tips o helping my legs? And reassurance that I will start to feel better!! I'm going a bit mad and I'm only taking 6 of the 8/500 tablets just to help me through the worst (or is this a bad idea?)

Please can someone help Me, thanks x

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Did you have RLS before opiate withdrawal or is this a feature of the withdrawal.

If its just a feature of withdrawal - don't start taking a drug for it.

I would carry on take 6 co-codamol a day - see how it goes. If in 2 weeks that's been a success. Come completely off co-codamol.

• Posted

Thank you! It's probably taboo to do it this way but so far its bearable. I have a young child who I have to look after for a few hours at night on my own and I've done that today and not cried so i feel I've achieved something!

Just had a hot bath and its really helped my legs for now. I plan to reduce the co-codomal tomorrow to 4 and see how i go and tonight I will try paracetamol before bed for the leg aches, to be honest thats the worst symptom for me right now. My pancreas condition means daily upset stomach so im not new to that nor is it bothering me. I had horrible leg and arm jitters last night awake at 1.30am eventually after some time downstairs I got back to bed and slept so im not holding out much hope for tonight. I'm lucky my partner is very supportive and I'm being honest when I say I do not want another 30mg tablet I just haven't craved then today which I'm sure will hit me over the next few days!

• Posted

Dawn

Hi I am going through withdrawal to at the moment but from fentanyl so my symptoms my be a bit different. I too have bad RLS and leg pain with constant cold. All I have found that helps in any way is to double up a pair of socks and try to relax. I was given a cd to help me relax my body by my physiatrist for pain which has helped a bit. The other posters are right though it hasn’t even begun yet unfortunately. It will get worse but in different ways. Not sure that helps at all but just saying how it is for me. I’m 5 months in to tapered detox and still have full withdrawal every day. But as I said mine if from fentnayl and at a high dose so possibly will be more extreme than the codine. I’m not belittling your suffering at all just hoping that yours is not at bad. But one thing I can tell you is you will get through it. I am doing it with only my normal other daily drugs to help me and I’m almost there. You will want to quit but you must keep thinking of the reasons your doing it. For me it’s my young son and my baby on the way that I am trying to get just a bit if my life back to give more to them. That has kept me going.

The RLS pain is not pleasant at all but I found tensing your muscle groups from toes up to quads and hamstrings for 10 seconds each then resting has helped even for a short while it gives some relief. I’m constantly putting in and taking off clothes due to being hot and cold all the time but needs must anything you can find to help is a benefit no matter how small that is. The other thing I’ve found is distraction helps. Crossing over your ankles and then watching tv or reading a book has helped me too. 

Sorry for the long post just trying to put as many hints in as I can. 

I really hope it improves for you soon. Remember why your doing it and you will make it through. The forums help too as you know your not alone in the fight.

Good luck to you hope I helped a bit

Andy

• Posted

Update: Well I'm on Day 5 and I feel great. The flu symptoms have gone, the RLS has stopped ive managed to stop the upset stomach with Imodium and my energy levels are going up and up! I had a better nights sleep last night and woke up this morning without any fog, not in a daze and straight away had loads more get up and go.

I'm posting this just to encourage others to keep going and the withdrawals do end. The best decision i made is to do this CT (I know that doesn't work for everyone but for me it did) and flush those evil tablets down the toilet there is no going back now - the fear of ever going through the hellish 4 days again is enough to make sure i never relapse.

Keep going you can do it 😃

• Posted

Fantastic news dawn I'm so pleased for you and your family, it's fantastic to read such a positive outcome??😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.