Codeine withdrawals advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello 

I'm trying desperately to come off of tramadol fentanyl patches and also cocodomal. 

I've managed the patches they are gone and I've not had any co codomal since Saturday. I have a slow release tramadol from a while so while I haven't had any "normal " tramadol im taking one slow release pill per day. 

I had brain surgery 6 weeks ago for a condition known as trigeminal neuralgia which is known as one of the most painful conditions known but my surgry is successful so I don't need the pills anymore but up until Saturday I was taking about 10 tramadol a day and maybe 12 co codomal

a day and I have also been known to put the fentanyl patch in my mouth for a quicker hit!! My life revolved around medication and when I could have more. Yes I had pain but not as much after my op but I STILL abused them. 

My question is am I simply prolonging my WD by still tsking one slow release tramadol a day? 

I'm having the runs anxiety hot and cold flashes sickness and generally feel awful!!! 

Should I just stop the maxitram??? And get it over with??? I want my life back more than anything. 

I've lost the old me .... My hair skin and eyes are just dead sad 

0 likes, 94 replies

94 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, Lorrie.  I too tried to stop by using a couple of tramadol. In hindsight WD went on and on for about three months, so I now think its better to stop all.

There are some herbal methods of reducing WD if you google.

My main problem is sleeping due to RLS, so these methods may help?

Things are now getting better but it seems never ending so know how you feel.

Stay strong it will pass.

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying to me. You have no idea how much I need a friend right now. Well actually maybe you do since you are in the same boat. Detoxing is so lonely and although my husband knows im getting off meds due to my surgery he has no clue to what extent I was abusing my meds. I took 100 tramadol and co codomal in one week recently and 20 fentanyl patches in two weeks! He has arthritis in his knee and I was asking his gp for co codomal for his knee to keep me going till I got more from my own Dr. 

Everyday I would say no more but everyday I had pain from the trigeminal nriralgia so everyday I would take more and more even abusing the the meds for the neuralgia and my amitriptyline. I just turned into a mess. I saw a picture of myself recently and I couldn't believe what I had did to myself. I let pills take over and I've got worse over the last 6 weeks blaming it on post op pain that I didn't have! I've become a master liar and im so ashamed to admit that sad 

Why why why why is what's been in my head this week without them. 

• Posted

Realizing there is a problem and the scale of it is nessesary before you can seek the cure. I too had an op, and continued to take pain killers believing the op was unsucsessful, in a way it was because a symptom remained.

But in fact the op (I now know) cured the main problem greatly reducing pain. So painkillers are not needed. I didnt know that until stopping them. Catch 22!     Opioids are horrible things, but are a nessesary tool in pain supression catch 22 again.  I can only say that I am glad  that more research into other options are in progress including those drugs society has banned mainly through ignorance and fear rather than thorough investigation.  If only the decision makers had experienced the symptoms, they would no doubt rule otherwise.

Explore the herbal options they may help ( I wish I had)

Very best

Mickyzip

• Posted

Mickey can I ask what herbal remedies you wish you took? All I can find is vitamins and more vitamins. 

I'm currently taking a multi vitamin tablet and also milk thistle from Holland and Barrett .... I would honestly try anything to help ease this horrible time. 

• Posted

Im reluctant to direct you to a specific site but if you google  :

opioid withdrawal herbal            you will get plenty of hits.

• Posted

Thanks Micky I will explore herbal website you've suggested. 
  • Posted

Hi Lorrie,

So sorry to know you're in such a pickle, thought I was in a bad place, but your meds have been so high, you must be feelingreally terrible coming down off them. I only have the after-effects of co-codamol to deal with. Been off them 8 days now and, thanks to the people on this site who replied to me, I've managed to pretty much sort out the runs by taking Imodium. all the other stuff, e.g. feeling panicky, sweats etc are gradually decreasing as I guess yours will too.

If you feel you really can't cope, then maybe tapering the dose down gradually is the answer for you. That's what I did, but then came off it altogether a bit too soon, but now I've got this far, I'm not going back to where I was.

Would your GP be likely to help you out here?

• Posted

When you say panicky Roz was it like your heart racing and over heating and unable to lie still? Sometimes this week my heart has raced so much I fear my heart is about to overwork so much It might stop altogether. It makes me feel very afraid and nervous. 
    • Posted

Yes, pretty much, my heart doesn't feel as if it's going into overdrive quite so often now, it is frightening I know, but it will ease off, just keep taking deep breaths when it happens. Not being able to lie still is a real problem as it prevents sleep, but even that's improving now for me - and it will for you too. I also get hot sweats and then feel terribly cold, sometimes I get a feeling as if butterflies are flitting around in my upper abdomen. ...and I'm also sneezing loads, didn't realise that was part of withdrawal until I read it on here. Biggest problem for me is that now I've managed to stop the runs, things have gone the other way. When I was on the co-codamol, it made me very constipated and I had to take laxatives which eventually stopped working. I'm hoping I haven't done permanent damage to my bowels and that they'll gradually put themselves right, although I believe that can take several months. Do you feel a bit more confident now that you know we're all out here going through the same stuff?

Roz

Roz

• Posted

Yes yes yes roz! I'm suddenly not alone .... Last night I cried so much that my husband got a fright when he saw my face but I blamed a movie I was supposed to be watching ... I felt so lonely yesterday and was so sad at what I had done to my body and life. Pity tears lol. 

As for the constipation I've never emptied my bowel properly for a year!!! The full year I was on them I was major constipated. This is gonna sound really gross and weird to talk about publicly but I often wonder if I've damaged my vaginal muscles, all that work just trying to go to the loo is bound to have some affect and I worry I have a prolapse on its way. 

But hopefully not and soon I can have a normal sex life again. My husband is the man of my dreams. Tall sexy blue eyed muscular hunk and over the past year I've stopped paying him enough attention. I've been too out of it to enjoy any sort of sex life. I feel I've let him down so much over the last year. 

Sorry you didn't ask me about my sex life but it's something being clean will fix and make my marriage as good as it was until last year and is a huge incentive for me. 

• Posted

When I asked my GP about the constipation, he said he thought it was IBS and sent me to see a gastrenterologist who diagnosed me with the same thing....rubbish, rubbish! Nobody even thought about suggesting it was the pain killers. I doubt whether you've caused either a prolapse or damaged your vaginal muscles, haemorrhoids are the most likely prob to occur when you keep bearing down all the time.

Your husband sounds just wonderful, have you thought about telling him all of what you're going through and why? It might answer a few questions for him. It's always far better to face your demons so you can grapple with them head on.

Roz

• Posted

I just can't admit how stupid I've been to him. He's my best friend and I can usually tell him anything. But not this. He's a health freak. He has knee arthritis from years of over training but never takes pills for it he just slows down a little when It gets too bad. He helped get me off the patches as that was really rough time but he didn't know I was abusing them or the oral meds. After my operation he never left my bedside until the end of the day when they kicked him out and has always trusted and believed in me. How do you tell someone that you were eating pain pills like sweeties when you clearly didn't need them anymore?? I'm ashamed. 

What about you? Did you tell anyone and get that kind of support from your husband? 

• Posted

My husband kept telling me all along that I'd become addicted to the codeine so it's no surprise to him that I'm struggling with withdrawal. Although he's got no idea of how I actually feel, he does his best to help and lets me keep talking things through.

Don't be ashamed of being a victim of doctors' incompetence because that's what it is. It isn't your fault you got hooked on drugs that are legally dished out to all and sundry without any proper monitoring. Try being angry at them instead of beating yourself up.

How are you feeling this morning? I feel pretty good at the moment although whether it'll last is anybody's guess.

• Posted

I feel pretty good today ... I went for a haircut this morning and bought myself some herbal remedies as recommended by the woman in the shop and some aleeping pills in the hope that I can have a full night sleep. I wasn't as anxious last night or as restless so I guess that's something.

I can't really be angry at anyone since I didn't follow his orders I just took as many as I wanted and I'm suffering for it now but today I'm 7 days off all those pills .... It can only get better right? smile 

I'm having a wee face mask and foot soak pamper session and relaxing. While watching the blacklist. 

How are you passing your day? 

• Posted

Great, you're coming over much calmer today, brilliant idea to have your hair done and a bit of pampering, always makes you feel better and more relaxed. I hope the herbal remedies help too.

You're right in that things can only get better from now on, you might have days when you don't feel quite so bright, but they'll get fewer and fewer. It's real achievement to come as far as you have in such a short space of time.

Spent my morning getting rid of all the Christmas bling - every year I wish I hadn't put so much of it around! Anyway, now I'm going to reward myself for my efforts by taking a long soak in a hot bath, magic. xx

• Posted

I think just talking and being less alone in the world always helps. Even thought its cyberspace someone is still out there who feels similar to how I do .... That to me is just priceless. So thank you for talking to me smile 

You are at day 9 ... Well done smile this ain't an easy road but you are doing it. I also took the Xmas bling down this morning. Was restkess around 6 am so I just got up and took the stuff down and made myself eat porridge and a banana and a glass of orange juice. First real food I've had for days and it was nice to eat. I have to keep reminding myself I've just had brain surgery ang I have to look after myself and heal properly! 

Are you managing to eat? It seems like my appetite has disappeared but then again it was rubbish anyway as I used to prefer taking my pills on an empty stomach thinking they would make me feel better quicker! How dumb is that?  lol

Enjoy your bath, if your muscles and bones ache like mine do then a bath will be bliss smile 

Are you taking any herbs or vitamins to help you along the way? Did you just go cold turkey or taper? .... I tried tapering a million times but I was just kidding myself on! Using up every last pill on a public holiday with no access to scripts was the best way for me. Monday Tuesday knowing drs was open was tough but I got through each day without calling the repeat line. 

I haven't taken the slow release tramadol today and im thinking I should just stop and get this over with! 

• Posted

I always thought drug addicts were junkies who stole and were generally bad people but here we are.... Two normal women running homes and probably looking after kids and working full time ... I'm never going to be judgemental again. This can happen to anyone! 
    • Posted

I'm glad to have somebody to talk to as well Lorrie, not only does it give my husband a break, I know he can't really understand as he hasn't been through it.

Good that you're starting on decent food again. Getting over brain surgery must be enough to cope with as well as the rest of what you're going through, so a big round of applause to you. My appetite is next to zero, but I make myself eat something at each mealtime even if it isn't particularly wholesome, at least it's nourishment. Having said that, I think I just felt a bit of a hunger pang which is the first for a very long time. Like you, I used to take my pills on an empty stomach so that the hit was harder, that makes at least 2 of us who are dumb!!

No, I don't take any herbs or vits as my bowel has been so dodgy, I don't want to risk setting it off again. To be honest, I've never actually found anything in a health shop that's helped me with anything at all - ever.

I tapered my dosage down to 45mg/500mg once a day, then just stopped after doing that for about a week. I think it was a bit soon from what I've read, but now I'm glad I did it that way, and I've felt pretty damn good today. Well done for not ringing for another scrip, the temptation must have been amazing. If you find it too tough to go without your tramadol, you could, ease it off to every other day and so on. As long as you get clean in the end, it doesn't matter how you do it, you know yourself best.

Yep, you get a whole new perspective on drug addiction, don't you? It really can happen to anybody.

At the moment I'm in contact with a very young girl on The IBS Network, she got diagnosed with this just like I did, but when I questioned her, it turns out she's on ... yes ... you've  guessed it co-codamol and overdoses on it regularly whether she needs it or not. I think I've just about got the message across that it's the cause of all her problems and hopefully she'll start to taper it down. Biggest job was convincing her she was an addict. We were all in denial once, weren't we?

• Posted

Oh dear my husband just informed me he thinks im well enough go out since I got my hair done this morning... First I've been out since my op and now he's taking me for dinner ... Oh geezo the porridge was bad enough lol .... But I must look better than I feel so im trying to look at this positively. I'm gonna be force feeding myself that's for sure.

I know what you mean about worrying about the bowel thing. I Swear I need iced toilet paper my rear end hurts that bad lol. Maybe j could put it in the freezer lol 

I hope the girl listens to you and stops taking these things. Everything about me has been zapped out of me. I have black hair and it's normally long and full and always asked how it got so shiny and now it's lank and thin and just ugly .... Got it all chopped off today so hopefully being clean fixes it. Even my skin and my eyes are dead looking. I saw a picture of me on Xmas day and I cried. it wa my turning point. This thing quite literally zaps the life out of us. 

I pray I don't relapse. I just have to find new ways to pass my day. Up until last week it was pills that controlled my day. Now I need a new hobby and new ways to pass hours. 

I'm looking forward to nights out again and holidays. I don't know about you but I was saying no to nights out and holidays and parties because I woukd rather sit in front of the TV literally out of brain and unable to focus... Sometimes I had to watch Tv programmes two or three times to take it im. 

• Posted

Bit of a coincidence here then, my husband has just suggested we go out for lunch tomorrow. I was going to say not on your life, but have tentatively agreed as I'm thinking I'll probably feel even better by then than I do now, and I'm still in quite a good place. Just pick something light on the menu and try and eat a little of it, just push the rest around your plate.

Know just what you mean about hair and skin looking bad, even my normally, very long eyelashes haven't been growing properly, they're pretty sparse and stick out at all sorts of odd angles.

You're not going to slide back and even, if you have a minor slip for a day, you know enough now to realise you can kick the habit and you will. I nearly had a slip myself this afternoon when it popped into my head what a lovely feeling those pills used to give me... I didn't let it get the better of me though and on Monday I'm taking all my stash back to the pharmacy which will put an end to it properly.

Sounds as if you don't work at the moment. I'm self-employed, but don't work full-time and, at the end of last year, I started on an online archaeology course which keeps me pretty well-occupied.

I did manage to spend a week down in Cornwall last September, but spent most of the time checking I was carrying enough pills with me and that I hadn't lost them - duh!

Try and enjoy your evening out as much as you can an, remember, tomorrow, you'll feel better than you have today. xx

• Posted

Well I managed it I went out, he didn't want to be out to long as I'm not ment to do much at all for 8-12 weeks and he is taking it literally and I'm not joking!! Not even allowed to dust!!! It's driving me insane. 

I'm pleased to say I ate every single bit of my dinner and actually enjoyed both the meal and time out from our kids. It was actually really nice and reminded me of e erythring I traded in for drugs! Gave me yet another incentive. Maybe you will eat all yours tomorrow and feel full and happy for the first time in a long time. 

Btw my eye lashes are the same!!! Hopefully we can rejuvenate our bodies and look in the mirror and see our old selves again smile ... How good will that be ? Night out with the girls having fun or night away with your man not half drugged out of it?

I can't believe you still have pills ... Wow ... I couldn't have done that ... No way I would have caved by now. Wow is all I can say! I had to use them all up first no way could I have thrown them away ... I tried but I couldn't do it. I had to use them all and I plan to tell my gp to give me no more. I'm not going to admit the abuse but tell him the WD is not worth it.

As they say 1 Is too much and 1000 is not enough or somethibg like that lol

I do work but I'm not allowed to work until 12 weeks post op. I have a very busy job as a solicitor and I wish I was back at work as it would take my mind off this hellish time in my life. 

Archaeology is fascinating. Something I've always been interested in. Lucky you smile 

• Posted

So glad you enjoyed your meal out last night. You sound really 'up' and much brighter and happier than you did when you first came on here. How are you this morning?

Just got myself ready to go out for lunch and I'm really looking forward to it, feel hungry too. We're only going to a pub a couple of miles away as the weather here is awful, very foggy, damp and cold; we're down in Hampshire.

Yes, I had to keep the pills by me, I'm one of those people who, if I hadn't had any to hand, would've gone insane with desire. I felt safe as long as they were nearby. We all handle these things differently, don't we?

How long ago did you have your surgery? I can well understand your need for a hobby or something during the day; that's why I do the online

course when I'm not working at my normal job. I have to keep my brain occupied with something difficult and engrossing. It's obviously the same for you, being a solicitor must be hard work and it's not easy to find yourself with nothing to do. Daytime telly just isn't the answer, is it??

I had surgery on my spine at the end of March 2014 and, like you, wasn't allowed to do anything for several weeks, so I understand your need to keep busy.

Well, my husband's just about ready to go out now, so I'll come back to you later and let you know how the lunch went.

• Posted

Well, enjoyed my lunch and ate quite a big meal. I'm having a few odd feelings today though, e.g. bit anxious and restless and my tum is a bit jittery. I didn't sleep well at all last night so don't

suppose that's helping much. Been online reading all about WD and decided to give some supplements a go anyway just to give my liver a bit of support which I'm sure it can do with after what

I've put it through for the last 4+ years. Got some milk thistle

caps and a vitamin B complex drink. I live in hope!

• Posted

Hiya 

Glad you managed to eat .... It helps a lot even if we dont feel like eating. 

Personally lying on my sofa with s blanket over me and lying in my own depression and hell seems like a great option but I got up I showered and I ate breakfast and took more vitamins and herbs. Then my family decided to come visit me and see how im doing post op ..... It was the last thing I wanted but drinking tea and laughter with my troops around me was a tonic and made my afternoon fly by (thank god) another day is nearly over.

I took sleepeze from boots last night and I slept 10 hours. Ever considered trying a sleeping aid?? I was so glad I did. Bit of sleep took that grey look away from my face. 

Bthe im five weeks post op ... Thought it was six but I'm assured it's five and im still "resting" now my least favourite word lol. I'm watching scandal and knitting and ive started a jigsaw so I'm just about staying sane.

Have you got same aches as yesterday? Tried another bath and some brufen to try and settle both the pain and the anxiety. The heart and butterflies still fluttering? 

• Posted

Yes, family and friends can be a real tonic sometimes, glad you had a good afternoon.

I've had insomnia for a long time and have tried just about every OTC remedy going including the one you mention, but none of them work for me. I've got Temazepam as a last resort but I only take it when I get a run of several nights with no good sleep. Sometimes a large Scotch at bedtime works better than anything, think I might give that a bash tonight - perhaps it'll settle the butterflies too!

• Posted

I've had insomnia also. I think its what escalated my drug taking. I was suddenly able to sleep and by sleep I mean out cold till way past 11 at the weekends ang that was after going to bed at 10. I loved the sleep the drugs gave me. 

Sigh

Lorrie behave woman stop thinking these things have a positive side. 

I feel like I have to keep reminding mysrlf of the bad otherwise a wee positive thought emerges.  

Think it would be ok to have a glass of wine? I would love one but wasn't sure if I should. Just one not the bottle ... Honest lol 

• Posted

Yeh, I don't think a couple of glasses of wine will hurt you, I'm definitely having alcohol tonight as I know it makes me unwind. The drugs didn't make me sleep - quite the opposite in fact, but you were taking a lot more than I was.

Just read something you wrote in a reply to Eunice, where you say 'I just feel a weird sense of doom, I can't even describe it', well that's a perfect description of how I feel too, but couldn't get it into words. What a relief, now I know that's all part of WD too then, thanks Lorrie!

• Posted

I contemplated joining AA for prescription pill abusers but just having people to talk to and mirror the same feelings has helped so much in a day! Before I posted on this bored I was feeling suicidal I was honestly so down and ashamed and disgusted with myself but now I dont. 

I get my abuse was on a whole other level and I can't blame it all on my pain condition since opiates don't touch my condition! It was just pure and simple having the pills to take my mind away from the pain ang make me sleep then I had my op and thought right this is it over but omg I escalated it to scary levels. But I'm trying to learn from it now rather than punish myself constantly. The lovely people on here have helped me so much in a day it's immeasurable. 

So thank you. 

Im gonna go pour a large wine and watch some more scandal. My daughters are 19 and 15 and are fed and watered and no longer require me and my husband is out for the night playing bag pipes with his band. So wine is allowed as is some peace and some me time and not me time punishing myself like I've done all week. 

Once again thank you for being out there yapping to me ans helping me feel less alone. X

• Posted

I didn't tell anyone until I overdosed by accident trying to get my fix of codiene which I had bought over counter as doctor had cut me off. When my paenter came to see my in the hospital he understood it's really not a choice for people like us who are in so deep but he was more angry I hadn't trusted him enough to be honest so was my entire family tbh. Now I'm on 3 dihydricodiene a day until Monday when I go cold turkey to start suboxone treatment Tuesday afternoon as I honestly have tried all routes to give up so this is my second last option. It's scary to be honest to the ones you love the most but they are the ones who will hurt the most if you accidentally hurt yourself with these drugs just try writing it down so you know exactly what you want to say and leave it somewhere for him to read as if anything like me you start getting emotional and don't get out what you want to say. Hood luck honey xx
    • Posted

Oh no I will never tell him what I was doing. Thanks to my condition pain med withdrawl is not secrete. That's all he will ever know. 

I haven't considered suboxon .... I just was so sick of pills pills pills until a few weeks ago I thoughy no more ordering finished up my pills and now I'm suffering lol

Ils this a good remedy for DT's? Or a long term replacement? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.