Codine 30mg - Side effects

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been taking codine since an operation in March 2014. On average I take 6 tablets a day. 

Recently I have been suffering with constipation, cramp & nose bleeds. Does anyone else have these side effects?

Other medication I take daily is Gabapentin 1500mg, parecetomol & I use 10mg Butrans pain patches. Occasionally when pain is really bad I take tramadol as well.

Hope you can help 

Thanks smile

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi jojo. Constipation is a very common side effect of Codeine. One of its uses is to stop diarrhoea. I suffer from constipation taking codeine so I have to regularly take dulcolax and dulcoease. I take it regularly for rheumatoid arthritis. As for cramp and nose bleeds I'm not sure but I will try and find out.
  • Posted

Hi there,

Have you been to see your GP for a review?

There are different kinds of laxitives you can use, but I would ask the Pharmacy for information :-)

• Posted

You could try bisacodyl via your chemist or gp for constipation xx
  • Posted

iv been taking 30/500 for about 7 years do you ever wake up with the cramps and sweats ? never had a nose bleed though
  • Posted

I think you very well may be dehydrated. I take morphine and I can get really dehydrated if I'm not careful. The nosebleed can be from your nasal cavities getting dried out like in cold weather. Drinking more water can help with the constipation. Eat bananas for potassium which might help with the cramping, but, again, it is water that your body needs most. Taking a magnesium supplement can cure that constipation if the water isn't enough.  Wishing you well!

• Posted

Hi Jojo

I was addicted to the 30/500 co-codamol for about two years and sufferd bad constipation, so used to take loperimide for it, which gave me the runs; in essence I'd caused self inflicxted IBS.  In the end I took an overdose over several days and was admitted to hospital where they gave me the parcetamol antidote, I was in for two days.  Since then I haven't touched the stuff, had bad withdrawal having gone cold turkey but am now totally free of them and have never felt better

Hope you are well, do post again to let me know how you are getting on, any advice I can give I'll be glad to

xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.