Coeliac and mouth/throat symptoms

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, can someone please help. I was diagnosed with coeliac three months and since I have been gluten free, apart from the odd consumption I have had by accident. I have had a sore throat and swollen tonsils for months and was wondering whether this could be a symptom? I struggle with anxiety and therefore am now worrying I have something more serious wrong.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I also suffer this. I think it’s something to do with ur immune system being so mucked up with the celiac disease. I’m hoping it will settle down but I believe it will be a very slow process. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. Do you have a permanent swollen tonsil?

I also have vision issues, ie. coloured patches every now and then

• Posted

Yeah I have a constant swollen feeling on the right hand side only. 

I also suffer the vision problem. I get coloured “floaters” that come across my line of vision 

• Posted

Mine is also on my right side. Mine is actually swollen and I went to the doctor, is your actually larger than the left one?

Me too. Are you on a GF diet?

• Posted

Yeah it’s definitely bigger than the left. It’s been like that for a few months now. Iv been 100% GF for six months now 
    • Posted

Yeah mine too, and my throat is sometimes sore. I haven't been 100% as over the past few months I have been accidently given gluten and had the odd thing which I haven't realised. This has reassured me as I was worrying I had something like leukaemia!!! The coloured floaters seem to be worse recently, and worse when I think about it!

• Posted

Just keep urself calm (I know it’s easy to say) but anxiety won’t make anything better. It’s a long road ahead I’m afraid for ur body to settle down so ur just going to have to go with it. 
    • Posted

No that’s not a symptom of mine I’m afraid. Could that maybe being caused by ur anxiety or do u think it’s celiac related? 
    • Posted

I think it must be due to anxiety as it flares up more when I am anxious.

I had bloods 3 months ago and they all came back fine, but have more next week.

How often are your eye floaters?

• Posted

Iv never really kept a diary of them or paid them much attention but I reckon they must be there 60-70% of the time. What about urself? 
    • Posted

I would say about the same.

Are your tonsils just swollen or do you often have a sore throat too?

It's horrible, I thought a GF diet would cure most symptoms. It doesn't help I have had the odd gluten over the past couple of months I don't think.

Have you had your eyes and throat checked out?

• Posted

Yeah I get a sore throat and dry mouth. Iv never had them checked, I’m just putting it down to the research Iv done online. 

I will go and get it seen about if it doesn’t settle down in 2-3 months 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.