Coeliac Disease Biopsy

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi all, I'm feeling pretty crap at the moment..sure lots of us are! I have had bowel/tummy issues for years. The last two years have been particularly bad and I've recently had a gastroscopy to determine if there is anything else going on before they decide on whether or not to remove my gallbladder (I have 2 gallstones).

On the day of gastroscopy I was sedated so all was a bit hazy. I came across the paperwork later and saw that I had the following, hiatus hernia, gastritis and duodenitis. Reading around that it said somewhere online that gastritis and duodenitis together can point towards Coeliac disease. I then vaguely remembered when I was sedated that the doc said something about Coeliac's disease. So no follow up yet. I notice they took biopsies of the duodenum and some gastric ones too. So my question is, would this be likely to diagnose Coeliac's if in fact that's what it is?

Because I was feeling really quite bad I decided to cut out gluten to see if it made a difference. So yes, it did settle down the ever present diarreah and also the bloating and pain. However I have to say I'm feeling otherwise quite rubbish. I've gone the other way and suffered painful constipation and low energy and feeling a tad confused. And my temperature is dropping though I feel hot and clammy. My temperature keeps going down to 35 36. I felt so faint this morning that I had a mini chocolate pastry to try to lift my energy levels. I need to speak to my doctor about what may or may not be going on but can't get an appointment at the moment. It's obviously high on my agenda to do that. But I just wondered if anyone out there who has been through the process of diagnosis and changing diet could shed some light on what I'm experiencing and also tell me if that biopsy is likely to lead to a diagnosis if I do have Coeliac's.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

hi margaret, welcome to this website designed to help those who think they're are coeliac too. i was diagnosed with coeliac after raised blood indicators and biopsies which showed the villi that should stand up in the intestine were all tired and fell over! if you are coeliac to have it show up on bloods/biopsies you need to eat gluten to see if you react. i wish you luck when you discover what this is your can then get the correct information and support. if you have cut gluten though and it works for you without it then i think you may have your answer. you can either have Coeliac disease which is autoimmune and irreversible unless you have a strict gluren free diet or gluten INTOLERANT which means you can have so much and you'll then get ill. it's easier been coeliac if you eat meat but if like me and are also vegetarian and have allergies then it's much tougher. good luck, let us know how you do.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm finding not having gluten has made me feel much better yes. as you say I could be gluten intolerant but will wait to see what comes back to me from investigations. I think I also had a reaction to the flu vaccine which was making me feel bad but that feeling has lifted and last couple of days I feel much better. without gluten I can't believe how much better my tummy feels. I'm finding also there are great gluten free products out there. But yes I do eat meat so easier for me. Thanks for taking time to respond to me.

• Posted

hi margaret, i am glad i could help, i hope you now get on ok fingers crossed. 🤞🤞🤞

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.