Coeliac questions

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello again,

I recently put a post on here about my ibs symptoms and since have been referred to see a gastroenterologist. I have also started a rather detailed food diary to try and trend my symptoms. 4 days ago I started VSL#3 probiotic sachet. 2 days ago my stomach felt great, no issues, stools normal, really energetic..etc. Anyway I've started to feel a bit sh*t again. Looking through my food diary and what I have eaten along with the replies to my previous post on the forum I want to find out a few things about coeliac disease.

1) is it possible to coeliac disease through bad diet, too much gluten, alcohol etc? I could eat anything I wanted a few years ago without issue...now different story.

2) coeliacs eat gluten free so is it fair to say if I eat a lot of gluten my symptoms should be worse?

3) after eating gluten is there a time between consuming gluten and symptoms setting in? The reason I ask this is 2 days ago when I felt tip top, I was eating a fair amount of gluten...looking online about digestion and transit time I was wondering whether the reason in feeling rough now is the gluten I had a couple of days ago.

4) with coeliac disease would probiotics actually help in any way?

5) are there other 'triggers' for coeliac? Such as greasy food, alcohol...etc?

One thing that I'm sure you can all relate to is I seem to make progress with improving my ibs, through diet, probiotics, lifestyle change...etc...yet all I can really say 100% is lowering my sugar intake and quitting fizzy drinks has improved my symptoms hugely and has been consistently better since I did this...the rest is soo damn frustrating. 2 days ago I felt the best I ever had and thought these probiotics I was taking have been helping, but yet again things seem to have gone bad again.

Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

All the information requested above is available on the Coeliac Org UK website -

which also has a "Talk to Us" link where you can ask your questions - you will find them very helpful.

• Posted

Perhaps it is also worth you checking out the following website too - the symptoms are quite similar again, but it will also help you understand why some people suggest other alternatives, which would depend in the end on your getting an accurate diagnosis from a Consultant Gastroenterologist.:

crohnsandcolitis org uk

(You will need to put full stops in the spaces between the crohnsandcolitis and org and uk)

• Posted

Answers to your questions:

1. Unlikely - triggers remain unknown. May be as a result of an infection.

2, Not everyone has tummy upsets initially as the body adjust to gluten though it is still damaging your gut - but eating more that usual could cause an unexpected upset if you have been triggered....after a few years on the diet you will probably then experience a violent reaction to accidentally consumed gluten - I do within 4 hours of eating it! In my case I start to vomit and it goes on until my stomach is totally empty - never gets as far as my bowel, which is perhaps a good thing. My body seems to know now that it is bad for it!

Note down everything you are eating so you can assess later whether it contained more gluten than usual. Take it to your appointment. Also note down all supplements of any kind which your are taking.

This is important for the Consultant to know.

• Posted

PS Prior to my diagnosis I used to feel as if there was a fermentation going on inside me sometimes....so would never touch fizzy drinks as this would make it worse. It was all due to the Coeliac disease in the end.
  • Posted

For info from Coeliac UK website:

"Keep eating gluten throughout the diagnosis process

If you think you may have coeliac disease, it’s essential to continue eating gluten until your doctor makes a diagnosis.

The diagnostic tests for coeliac disease look at how the body responds to gluten. Some people may start to reduce or eliminate gluten from their diet because they feel ill. Unfortunately this is very likely to cause an inaccurate result for both the blood test and the gut biopsy. Therefore, it’s very important to keep eating gluten throughout the diagnosis process.

If you've already reduced or eliminated gluten from your diet, you will need to reintroduce it to make sure you get the most accurate test results. While it may be difficult and uncomfortable, it’s essential for your long term health.

As a general guideline, the recommendation is to eat some gluten in more than one meal every day for at least six weeks before testing.

For children, you can mix wheat flour into foods such as yoghurt or baked beans to add more gluten into their diet.

If you are reintroducing gluten into your diet, you should discuss how best to manage your symptoms with your GP. Your GP will be able to arrange for you to be tested for coeliac disease as soon as it is appropriate.

We understand how hard it is to get diagnosed if you have started a gluten-free diet. Getting a medical diagnosis, however, is important to ensure you get the medical follow up and support that is recommended for people with coeliac disease. Unfortunately, there are no other tests that can diagnose coeliac disease other than the antibody blood test and the gut biopsy. These tests depend on people eating gluten."

"Irritable bowel syndrome:

Almost a quarter of people with coeliac disease had previously been told they had IBS or were treated for it before they were diagnosed with coeliac disease, according to recent research1. It is important that the NICE Guidelines are followed and that coeliac disease is screened for before a diagnosis of IBS is given".

See the website for lots more info.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.