Coffee and diarrhea

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've recently increased to 125mcg levothyroxine and I've become sensitive to caffeine. Coffee and tea both now give me gas a diarrhea.

Does anyone else experience this?

Is there anyone that has worked out a way around this? Im going to try and take the meds at night to see if that helps.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have never had this at all and I have been on 200 mcg Levo for a long time.
  • Posted

Hiya..... I originally started out with a severe OVER active Thyroid & NOTHING stayed inside me!!!! After being treated with Radioactive drink at Christies Hospital in Manchester I became UNDER active.... Coffee does seem to affect me... But I find in the mornings I tend to have Diarrhea anyway.... what ever !! I do have a tea first & a coffee.. BUT even if I don't I still tend to get a dicky tum first thing. I guess trying to give it up might be worth a go??? Or going caffeine free??? It doesn't bother me most of the time as I think that it helps keep my weight under control!!!!  lol.... My only problem is that when i need to GO..... I REALLY need to go... if you get what I mean!!!

• Posted

Hello Christophe, yes, I've experienced the caffeine sensitivity. I assumed this happened when the dose was right, as I know I was self medication the thyroid symptoms with caffeine. But it could certainly be a side effect.

Caffeine interferes with thyroxin function, so it's considered a dietary no no.

As for the diarrhea, yes the levothyroxin was hard on the stomach. I took it with fruit. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.

Does caffiene still affect you negatively? Is there anything that you have done to make it less worse for your stomach?

• Posted

Are you putting milk or creamer in your coffee? I am on a low dose levothyroxine. I take my meds first thing in the morning. I don't drink anything other than water for one hour after taking it and I wait 3 hours before eating any food. I haven't had any stomach problems.

• Posted

I am only up to 75mcg and it's been a month and have diarhea..I don't drink coffee either.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.