Coffee relieves deep shingles pain.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am recently diagnosed with shingles. After five nearly sleepless nights due to deep constant excruciating pain followed by nearly pain free days, I have a strong suspicion that coffee has been relieving my pain every morning. This morning when my pain went away while drinking my first cup of coffee, I realized that this has been the pattern for the last five days. My pain has begun everyday in mid to late afternoon and gets worse until by bedtime I cannot sleep. Then after I have my coffee in the morning I am able to go to sleep. This morning I even started to fall asleep before I'd finished my coffee. So what is it about coffee that relieves the pain? -- the caffeine, the tannins, or something else.

This afternoon, when the pain begins, I'll try a cup of decaf and if that doesn't keep the pain away I'll try full strength.

Will let y'all know the results.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I welcome any comments or tales of similar experiences you might have.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

i got over the shingles. it was extremely painful, but, now i have thromopenia

it is a immune desease that attacks plalets. i think i got this sickness because of shingles. it saids that you can get any sickness because your immune system is low. wow! now i have to worry about my plalets going to low . i hope that coffee works for you and that you are all better soon

• Posted

Dear Mary,

It may be you have an autoimmune disease such as thrombocytopenia that triggered the shingles, not the other way around.

Also, there are certain medications that cause a low platelet counts.

Two types of medications that can cause low platelets are ARB-Angiotensin Receptor Blockers and ACE I, both of which are BP medications.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I this is sheer coincidence unless your shingles are in your mouth. Some people get relief from heat or cold. Or you've had a less severe case of shingles and you are starting to get better. But if you think it works, go with that.

• Posted

Whatever this update patient.info did, it doesn't work well at all with iPads! i cant change my typo above.it should have said, "I think"....

• Posted

This is not coincidence and people need to manage by fact instead of speculating and commenting on something they know nothing about. I currently have shingles (for 2 weeks now) and the top half of my body feels like hell. I have also been waking up in the night with the sheer pain. However, I noticed the same thing as Martha in the sense that every afternoon I always go out for a change of scenery and have a coffee. Prior to the coffee I feel pretty rough but after I feel OK. Every day. That's not a coincidence. The problem is that come night time when the coffee starts wearing off the pains start returning, ready for bed.

After a bit of googling it turns out the caffeine is responsible for the pain relief. How's that for coincidence?!

• Posted

Well, I did drink a cup of decaf at bedtime, but I still got the deep pain during the night around 10 or 11. The pain was not quite as intense as previous nights, though, so I get a little off-and-on sleep. 4 AM I fixed my coffee and by the time I had finished it, my pain was gone. So is it the coffee or is it some exaggerated effects of my circadian rhythm?

We'll see what happens tonight.

• Posted

Well, last night I didn't wait so long to have a cup of coffee. My pain was really bad at 11:30pm, so by midnight I was drinking my coffee. Pain was gone and had fallen asleep before I finished my coffee. So do you still think it's a coincidence? What else should I try to rule out as the cause of my pain being relived when I drink coffee?

BTW, Babs, my shingles are around the middle part of my rib cage, not in my mouth.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.