Coffee sensitivity

Posted , 8 users are following.

I use to be able to drink coffee without any problems, I fact I drank a an average of 4 cups of strong black coffee the suddenly about a year ago I developed what I think is caffeine sensitivity, sometimes even small amounts gives lots of anxiety , headaches,jitters and most importantly my BP is really high even hours after caffeine consumption. Has anyone experienced the same problem or something similar?

Ps: I'm 28 years old, was diagnosed with HBP 10 years ago!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

WOW...How high does your BP get

• Posted

Usually with the meds between 115-130/70-80 but it can be as high as 150-160/92-95 on stressful days or lack of sleep and caffeine of course.

• Posted

Even the smallest amount in decaf bothers me but I'm 60. I miss regular coffee so much. Personally, I think our body changes over time with what it can handle.

• Posted

Yes that's what I think too but it'd nice to know the exact reason cause every time it happens I start thinking my HBP is progressing or my heart has problems.

• Posted

Our reactions change over time, so maybe it was always a stressor, but now with other changes you notice more what it does to you.

I've long had various reactions to coffee, possibly allergic, but if the beans are fresh and the coffee freshly made I can generally tolerate it, and strangely it seems I can tolerate cold brew, even with full caffeine!

Of course nobody is surprised to hear that caffeine boosts your BP.

I've generally been able to drink (large amounts of) tea, which also has caffeine, but does little or nothing to my BP. So maybe it's not the caffeine in the first place, but other components of coffee, of which there are many.

• Posted

I've noticed the same pattern, I'm able to drink lots of tea without any problems, with the coffee there some types or brands that would make me feel sick but some don't, that's why I'm not sure it's the caffeine but it definitely didn't happen before, I was able to drink any type of coffee without a problem.

• Posted

Hi Will, yes I have experienced some sensitivity to coffee but now I believe it maybe the cream/with sugar in the coffee more than the coffee itself . I normally only drink one cup early or before 1200 because any later in day interfers with my sleep. Are you drinking less now.

• Posted

Yes, I've reduced the amount of coffee to just one a day and mostly light or medium roast, I've also noticed that sometimes it depends on the brand that makes m feel sick even though they're supposed to be the same type of coffee.

• Posted

Hi Will,

Are you taking any meds for the HBP?

I was taking statins for a while and found they messed with my palette, I detailed it in a post I titled "Kind of a first world problem I know" on the AFIB and Flutter forum but in essence I previously enjoyed spicy food on the weapons-grade scale and after being on Statins found Ainsley Harriott's cup-a-soup too much for me.

Since stopping the Statins I'm quite happily back on the Jalfrezi.

Jason

• Posted

Hey Will,

I got the same issue, but I love coffee so much. I really do need to lay off it but see what else I can drink, I guess I might have to go decaf. I get this speed type of feeling, but sometimes also brings on my reflux.

• Posted

Caffeine is a drug so just be careful. Like many I drink coffee but only decaff (and decaff tea as well).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.