Cognitive Behavior Therapy [CBT] for PHN people

Posted , 7 users are following.

On the "Depression with PHN?" forum, I've talked about CBT as probably the most effective and quickest route to decreasing depression.  On this forum, I hope to offer some more detailed guidance toward using CBT.  I'm thinking of offering maybe a weekly suggestion for thought and behavior change that will enable people to get better control of the pain and emotions associated with PHN.  Anyone interested? 

1 like, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi. It is good to see Babs and Charlie still involved with helping us all. But I wish that I could post that 6 months later my PHN is much improved. Going back and trying things from early on. Two lidocaine patches tonight. And HGTV for distraction.🌞

• Posted

Jeaneen things can change. I'm lucky in that I saw even infinitesimal improvements in the first few months which made me optimistic. That's a good sign but I'm in another PHN group and some people see improvement after years. I don't think it's from treatments or surgeries, the nerves just settle down. Until then I do believe that there will be ups and downs, as there are for me. But overall, I've got much less pain and I have to keep remembering that on my bad days. Also, I'm tapering off the gab and several of us have felt that it didn't help, in fact may have increased our problems. Good luck!

• Posted

Jeanine,

Babs is right that things change.  Don't think in terms of months, but years.  That's why it is SO important to find ways to better MANAGE the pain, rather than expecting decreases in pain and constantly looking for that.  My pain didn't decrease for many years.  But, I did get my depression under control, and that decreased how much the pain bothered me.  Odd huh?  There's pain level, but then there's how much the pain bothers you!  That's called the "suffering" index.  If we pay attention to the pain, it seems to increase.  It doesn't really, it just is magnified.  If we learn ways to distract [like you are doing with HG TV], it seems to decrease.  Also, the way we think about our pain magnifies, OR MINIMIZES, it.  That's what CBT focuses on. 

• Posted

Thanks for your feedback Charlie. You may get 2 messages from me. Computers! Nice to know you are still out there. Jeaneen
  • Posted

Hi Babs and Charlie,  Ruth here chiming in.  Sorry to say, in all this time I see no improvement.  In order to wear anything above my waist, I still have to wear a 5% lidocaine patch.  Tried CBT, therapist and down to 400 mg gab which I might as well keep weaning down.  My only help is distraction and I can lose myself in my little art studio.   I would say I am managing better after over 2 years and accepting the fact that this is going to be as good as it gets.  Still would love to get my hands on some good CBD but so far no luck.  A doctor in San Diego says he prescribes it and it works well for nerve damage but I don’t live in CA. And as yet haven’t found a legal doc to get a med card for anything to do with marijuana for just CBD even tho it is legal in   CO.  Tempted to go visit my son in CA🤔

• Posted

Welcome back, I see you're out of the purgatory of "being moderated". I can never understand why that happens. I'm sorry there's not been much improvement. We'll keep hoping that changes.

I have a real dilemma with the CBD, so many people who didn't want to try it have and found some relief. But I don't want to switch to a different drug, legal or not. I'm lucky that my improvement doesn't make it an issue. I shouldn't judge this way, but I'm in some groups where it's obvious that a few people are posting while being impaired by their legal/illegal drugs. One person would have such run on sentences I felt like writing, Dude, wait until you're not stoned so we can figure out what you're saying!

I don't drink either, I hate that buzzy, "relaxed" feeling. I prefer just chilling with a good book, movie or beautiful view.  Distraction is everything.

• Posted

Hi Ruth, sorry you’re feeling stuck. Have been there myself. 

When you say you tried CBT, what did that consist of?  Were you using a book, or seeing a CBT therapist?  What specific changes did you make?  

• Posted

Hi Charlie,  I did see a therapist about a year ago, I think upon your suggestion.  I came to the conclusion that I wasn’t very good at changing my thoughts .  I did get the part about being optimistic, thinking compared to 2 years ago , yes, I am better.  Such baby steps. However, I am managing it better than previously.  Guess I expected more dramatic changes as I tried behavior changes.  Anyway I wanted to throw this out to the group.  I saw a new neurologist today who is supposed to be up on all the latest and greatest in issues.  There wasnt much I didn’t already try.  However he does have several patients with PHN that have been helped by Botox injections to the site.  Has anyone out there heard about or tried this?  Of course, it would not be covered by insurance and is in my case 100 units to cover the site.  This lasts(if it helps) about 3 months for $800.  He said after 2 treatments you would know if it is helpful and if you continue subsequent treatment continue to spread more .  Thoughts, anyone??  The only other new thing is a timed release gab to take once a day with various strengths supposedly with less side effects.  Starts at 300mg or 900mg.  Called Horizant by Arbor.  Speaking back to managing , for me, I am easily distracted by lots of interests and that’s what works for me.

• Posted

Distraction is a very powerful management method. If you’ve become a little more optimistic and are using distraction more, that’s something to be proud of.

I would not agree that “this is as good as it gets.”  PHN does decrease with the years. For a long time with mine, I could not tell if I was managing it better or it was decreasing.  It turned out it was both. 

• Posted

Thanks Charlie!  That’s encouraging!  Any feedback on the Botox injections?  I’ve been scouring the Internet for information.  Not much out there.  One London study that was encouraging for the allodynia which is my biggest problem.
    • Posted

Sorry Ruth I have nothing regarding Botox and PHN, but that other drug is similar to Gralise, also time-released gab. In all honesty, I wouldn't take any of the three. I HATE what this drug has done to my mind, memory and cognitive skills. I've been tapering for 19 months, and will still need about another 8 to get off it. CBT isn't magic. Today, I've been having a tough time recently emotionally with what my brain's doing. With my therapists help I've gotten better at moving on and finding ways to help with the frustration and despair. "It's only for today", "It was different yesterday" etc. It's still a battle, and I forget, but it does help.

• Posted

I did some searches also. This was a very limited study (9 patients, and another done with one patient. There was little follow-up and no control group.)  "Considering the present and some previous studies done on the effect of botulinum toxin in patients suffering from PHN, it seems that there can be a decrease in pain in the first week. However, analgesic effects of botulinum toxin decrease gradually as the weeks pass by. Overall, the pain is less and more tolerable when compared to pre-treatment period. This problem was reported in all studies. Due to the low number of available eligible patients, control group was not included in this study and it is suggested that a random clinical trial should be performed in which a group of patients receive placebo so that the analgesic effects of botulinum in the treatment of PHN can be better evaluated."  Several other articles, also from 8-10 years ago show it may help for a few months and then become less effective.

• Posted

I don’t have info on Botox for PHN. I have had many patients who had Botox injections to quiet muscles that were spasming. Never heard of any side effects from them. 
    • Posted

Thanks Babs and Charlie,  that is sort of the same info I find in checking it out.  I have a son-law who is a toxicologist for a major drug co and a daughter in the med field and they are checking it out as well.  Yes, we are all grasping for help with drugs, bras (sorry Charlie) and anything that could help this pain!  Thank goodness for this forum to hear other opinions.  Thank you for responding. Will keep you posted.🤔

• Posted

Charlie ya don't want to know, but at least it's one problem you don't have!! Good luck Ruth. I almost said, give it a try, who knows, but for that cost and knowing by the nature of the product, if I understand it (as it's used for "facelifts", as the toxins decrease so will their effect. You don't have to answer this, but I imagine the gab problems and conversations with your s-i-l are NOT something you have.

• Posted

I'm just checking in here. Charlie, I've shared the ideas behind CBT in a Gab group I'm in. I'm sure you know that the emotional and psychological problems of gab are as or even more challenging than the physical ones.

Personally, I'm doing OK, having ups and downs with both my PHN and my gab tapers, but I'm down to 600 mg and plan to drop another 100 this weekend. At the lower levels the taper is harder and that last one was tough, even though I wait 8 weeks between drops. This time I'm waiting 10 weeks, just so I'm stable longer. I hope you're all doing well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.