Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 27 years old, almost 28, and I have recently started suffering from health anxiety. I'm sure my family, friends and colleagues are sick to death of me talking about various things that I believe are happening to me, so I am going to put myself on the waiting list for CBT.

Really, all I wanted to know is if anyone on here has had CBT, or is currently having CBT, and what they think of it. I would love to hear your stories, your thoughts and opinions. I would appreciate any replies that I receive.

Kind regards,

- David

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

CBT is the therapy route which is offered first as it's a very cheap therapy to deliver. It does work for some,but generally for less complex issues. It really does depend on the individual. Don't be disheartened if it doesnt work, tell your Dr and ask for a referral to Psychotherapy
    • Posted

I'm suffering from anxiety relating to my health, moreso the constant belief that something is wrong. Honestly, it only stems from a fear of hospitals and doctors. Recently, I have been sent for some routine tests at a hospital, but my fear has sent me into this freakin' tailspin that I cannot seem to get out of.
    • Posted

I know how it is,I suffer from health anxiety too. The important part to recognise is that healt anxiety is just a symptom of anxiety in general. The only real way to deal with it is to deal with the root anxiety. Therapy is a good start
    • Posted

I think that is the route I am going to go down.

See, I used to have a great support system; my friends, family, colleagues, they were great, but I think they thought it would be a quick fix, and now I feel they are getting sick of hearing me go on and on, which is then making me feel bad that I am annoying them, and thus makes me even more anxious. 

• Posted

I'm the same way man. I'm also currently debating doing CBT.

Have you tried any other type of therapy before?

• Posted

DBT therapy is good you should try it i explained to david what it involves 

Try DBT and let me know what you think about it 

Elizabeth

• Posted

Hi david i do not do CBT i do DBT which is different from CBT 

DBT is where you is where you learn mindfulness. and with DBT you learn Reasonable mind, Wise mind, and Emotional mind, Then you learn skills to help you with your distress tolerance 

When you are anxious you learn skills on distract your thought by doing something, or you can self soothe or you can improve the moment, pros and cons, turning the mind radical acceptance 

You learn a lot of skills through DBT you should look into DBT besides CBT they both work but I heard DBT is better to learn than CBT 

Elizabeth

• Posted

and how has dbt been working for you, elizabeth?

do you personally find it helpful? does it make a difference to your every day life?

• Posted

Yes it has helped me a lot doing DBT. When i am anxious i will listen to music or i will soothe myself by taking baths, or i will hold my dog and just pet her 

If i am angry i will go for a walk to calm down, if i am depressed i try to distract my mind and think of happy things just like if i am anxious i will distract and think about something else. 

It does help you should try it

Elizabeth

• Posted

I definitely will. It's so nice to know that some people have tried these therapies and are happy with them. Recently I have been feeling like I am going out of my mind.
    • Posted

CBT and DBT are essentially distraction therapies,they encourage distraction from issues as a way forward. This is fine,but sometimes issues need to be resolved rather than essentially ignored. Again it does depend on what the individual needs,so long as you remember there are other approaches
    • Posted

Thats how i feel sometimes that i am going out of my mind. Its scary when you feel that way 

Elizabeth

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.