Cognitive Behavioural Therapy - By Phone?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

CBT was hailed as the new way to empty the psychiatric hospitals and clinics, cut down the use of anxiolytics and help people improve their quality of of life. It has become so pervasive that GPs often ask patients to self refer. Some of these patients are initially assessed over the phone and offered CBT once a week - by telephone.

How would you feel about this? Have you experience of it?

Thanks for you time.

Kim

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have had some experience of this. Although my sessions were in a clinic and not down a phone. I was given seven one hour sessions, one a week. 

I found them informative and interesting. My symptoms were validated and I was made aware of the functions taking place in my body, which had led to these symptoms and experiences during my panic episodes.

They were OK. However, they were not a miracle cure. And as it is, I have referred again, and will be starting the session this time next week.

• Posted

Thanks  for your feedback on CBT.  I am glad it helped but do you think you would have benefitted as much from 1 hour phone calls.  I'm sure I wouldn't but then I had a different kind of therapy where being seen and seeing the therapist  was all important.

Kim

• Posted

I'm not convinced that phone sessions would have been better.

For me personally, I needed to be face to face with the therapist. Plus it gave me a purpose on that particular day to leave the house. The whole experience of getting out and about and then talking face to face was and is beneficial in and of itself.

I agree with your sentiments.

• Posted

Thanks. everything you say rings bells with me. I would need to be in the same room as the therapist and for both of us to connect - read each others body language etc.

Kim

• Posted

Hi, I got hit with a bout of bad anxiety, never had problems before, my doctor tried some ssri antidepressants and also cbt counseling, I couldn't take the ssri side effects so it's been 20 sessions , 1 hour each for me still going, I am also taking 7.5 Mirtazapine, it's been over six months now . At first I had 2 months of no meds just cbt and that was working, but I started having insomnia so the Gp put me on 7.5 Mirtazapine for 2 months then off, I lasted 31 days and restarted the med, wants me on it for 1 month, then wean off, I've been on it now for 2 weeks, and feel better, Cbt is good, I am still going every week and hopefully with the counseling and the low dose I will be able to finally be med free, Cbt is really helping me alot,

• Posted

I am glad that CBT is helping you. But do you think it would have been as effective if carried out by phone?
    • Posted

well the others make some good points about face to face and getting out to see them, but if I couldn't do it face to face, I know that on the phone would help me, the counselor will give you good advice and behavior method's for dealing with what's going on. So yes I think the phone would be fine, and yes it would have still helped me on the phone.

• Posted

I think that CBT OIL IS BEING OVERSOLD, OVERHYPED and I am liberal.
    • Posted

I think that CBT is being oversold but what do you mean by "OIL"

I am baffled. CBT OIL???

Kim10000

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.