cognitive issues with hypothyroidism

Posted , 5 users are following.

I as well as all the usual symtoms also have cognitive issues.Memory retrieval, processing and recently couldnt remember how to drive to my dentist in the next town where id lived for 2 years. Mind was a total blank. Has anyone got this too??

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes, sometimes I find I can't process what direction-related road signs are telling me. This is worse if I'm tired. Cognitive issues are a symptom of hypothyroidism (under-active thyroid).

Milk, iron and other things affect how well your body can absorb thyroxine. Are you taking your thyroxine 1 hour before food and 4 hours before other medication?

I was taking a higher dose than the TSH blood result suggested (not recommended due to risk of heart problems and osteoporisis) and found by obeying these rules I needed 25mcg less thyroxine.

Alternatively, does your thyroxine dose need increasing? Remember, don't take your thyroxine dose on the morning of the blood test (else the blood test will give an artificially high reading), take it after the blood test.

• Posted

My cognitive ability also deteriorates if I am under stress. One way I get round this is to leave plenty of time to travel to places (and take a book/crossword puzzles with me for when I arrive early)!
  • Posted

Hi Michelle, the brain needs lots of T3 hormone, so if you are not producing enough, or converting from T4, brain fog is a symptom. I can't talk sometimes my brain is so slow. Not all the time, but it's a nuisance. Gingko Biloba helps, but you need to check what prescribed meds you are taking because it does not go well with some drugs. 
  • Posted

The same thing happens to me, I forget what I am talking about mid conversation, can`t remeber names of people or items.

I also find it very difficult to retain knowledge, this did improve when I was first given Levo Thyroxine 25mg but I am now getting bad again (4 months later)  and other symptoms are returning with a vengence I know I need a stronger dose and hope and pray that my GP will prescribe a higher dose when I go next week.

I had to battle to get the 25mg!.

• Posted

Hi yorkrose

I think you mean 25mcg not 25mg! Only mentioning it in case someone reads this who is new to the forum.

Hope you get your increased dose. Have you had a synacthen test to check your adrenal glands are working correctly? Apparently these are supposed to be checked before you start thyroxine. I've just had mine checked, only 24 years too late! Pribate encrinologist suspects Addison's disease. I'm waiting for the results.

All the best

Barbara

• Posted

Thank you for the info,No I have not had that test I have never heard of it, will look it up for more info and tell GP next week, I think it all boils down to how much the practice want to spend on us patients, the last GP I saw told me I am autoimmune Hashimotos, I have also got bald patches which are starting to grow back and aching and stiffness I am only 55 and sometimes walk like a 100 year old and feelas a tired as a baby, I do try to keep smiling though.
    • Posted

I read somewhere (sorry, I can never remember where, probably tpauk) that the NHS addisons disease test isn't as sensitive as the private one. Mine was recommended by the private endocrinologist I went to see, to get an alternative to levothyroxine as I was intolerant to some of the ingredients in levothyroxine - I was prescribed nature throid, which i haven't started taking yet as I want to get the results of the synacthen test first.
    • Posted

Hi I was interested in your post I too have noticed a bald patch and thinning lines I thought it was a scalp fungus but my Dr says it could be the levothyroxine so I'm going for some blood test on Thursday,how long did it take for the patches to start to regrow again?
    • Posted

It took about 3 or 4 months before it started to grow back it has not grown back fully yet, my hair dropped out before I was prescribed Levothyroxine so it wasn`t the cause of my hair loss. the GP said it was alopecia which is autoimmune and could be caused by thyroid or stress. It was itchy and fealt bruised like I had ben wearing a tight pony tail, is that how yours feels.?
    • Posted

Mine started with the crown of my scalp really burning and also  I thought I had been bitten( like gnat bites) but they were not they were like a puss filled sore I only had a couple, but my scalp was very itchy and scaly!!and then I had this bald patch and noticed that my hair has really thinned out ,the first Dr i saw thought it was a scalp fungus and gave me keropine shampoo which has cleared the scaling and itching and tender,but the second GP I saw said she didnt think it was a fungus and could be the thyroid or a iron or zinc deficiency hence why I am having bloods done on Thursday Im just worried about hair not growing back,today I have been looking at shampoos to help stimulate growth i have read that peppermint oil is good for the scalp  
    • Posted

There are shampoos out there the caffiene one from Germany that is advertised I tried some lotion by Loreal from my hairdresser it has mint in it but I dont think it made my hair grow it just fealt soothing and cool for  a few minutes after use and it was expensive.

Let me know how your blood tests go and good luck x

• Posted

Hello bery:  I am an Rn and live in the USA and I have Hashimoto's Disease of the thyroid.  When the TSH goes low hair falls out.  I lost some hair also back before I was diagnosed.  I am only on T3 as my disease made my thyroid not convert T4 to T3. 

I grew  most of my head hair back.  I lost even some eyebrow hair and that did not all come back.  I can say that Thyroid causes dry skin and scalp and use a medicated shampoo with mosturizing in it. Even a shampoo for dandruff is good since it provides moisture.  Condition your hair, and leave it on for a while.  It helps the scalp.

Also get a mineral panel done (blood work), as it willlet you know if you are low on Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, Iron, Vit K and sodium.  Our bodies need certain levels of these minerals.

If the minerals are okay, it will help you absorb the Levo well.  i hope this helps.

• Posted

I told you I was on a dose of 25mg and it is 25 mcg.

Thank you Barbara smile.

• Posted

Hello Michelle:  I am an RN and I live in the USA.  Yes, mental confusion and brain fog as they say, comes along with low thyroid.  Now that I am on meds and all, it goes away.  I suffer with Hashimoto's Disease of the thyroid. Make sure both your T3 & T4 Hormone are at proper levels.  How is your TSH level?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.